The Real Value of $100 in Metro Areas?

The last 10 days we spent near Fairfield CA, near Napa, CA. We purchased a large box of assorted veggies/fruits that we picked out and used/cooked with over the course of those 10 days, cost $20.01. The steaks, chicken, pork, seafood all seemed reasonable; now the wine budget, that was a different story.

Food at the ethnic and outlet markets is amazingly cheap in the area. My August grocery bill will be under $300 for the two of us plus a house guest for most of the month and we eat pretty healthy on that amount. Last week at a local produce mart, I bought 2 pounds of dried dates, 2 pounds of organic strawberries, a pineapple, and two packages of mixed organic greens for $7 total. One pound of dates at the local retail supermarket is $9.

$100 might not go as far here at the supermarkets as other cities but it stretches pretty far at the outlet and ethnic markets. We have relatives that live in a lower cost of living area for housing, but with one grocery store in town that store gets to set near monopoly prices.

Last edited:
Wow - our little tip is much cheaper than even the rest of TX. We have noticed over the years. $120-$125!

Peru, Il.... $100 equals $118.80 semi-rural Il.
73 air miles from Naperville $96.34

And not just a statistical anomaly... Real costs of most things, are lower here.

Household #s Wages $51K vs. $118K

Home value $116K vs. $421K

Last edited:
The Woodlands, TX - $98.43.

Probably out of date due to the increased area growth and local inflation.

I was in NYC recently and the cost too go over the VN bridge (3 times) and the GW bridge ( 1 time) was $78.00!

That's your own fault; you were obviously going the wrong direction.

[Those bridges only collect tolls one way]

Back
Top Bottom