The Videographers Corner

Or just use this if you need stereo (I don't for narration)? Product: iM2 | TASCAM.

Folks with iPhone 7's know there are Lightning port adapters for headphones and whatever else.

Last edited:
Or just use this if you need stereo (I don't for narration)? Product: iM2 | TASCAM.

Folks with iPhone 7's know there are Lightning port adapters for headphones and whatever else.

Thanks, but I don't use an iPhone. But it looks like there are solutions out there, so I should be able to find something when I'm ready to do more shooting that might benefit from stereo.

Hey, has anyone tried the video upload feature here? Lat time I tried, somebody else's video showed up under my post, which was pretty weird.

-ERD50

Strictly an amateur effort, but a new video I helped shoot and edit. Constructive criticisms welcome, we're trying to improve. Thanks

https://youtu.be/JccFZ9jJnPg

Strictly an amateur effort, but a new video I helped shoot and edit. Constructive criticisms welcome, we're trying to improve. Thanks

https://youtu.be/JccFZ9jJnPg

Very nice. Not sure I can offer much in the way of critique, but just a couple observations (and I admit, I kind of skimmed/tabbed/FF through much of it):

One thing I became sort of unconsciously aware of - the video seemed consistent throughout (a good thing). I didn't really study this, just an impression I got. Consistent lighting, color, quality, etc. I think many amateur videos jump from scene to scene and it looks jumbled, and this seemed very good in that regard.

Perhaps the captions are a bit hard to read in some cases, the background action distracts some? I've seen some captions that utilize an active "exclusive-OR" process - some shading around the letters will be dark on a light background, and dynamically change to light on a dark background (opposite the color wheel), so it can always be read more easily.

I wonder if narration would work better than captions? Or in addition? I kind of felt narration would keep the viewer more involved, that's a fair amount to read and maintain interest? I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Was there a specific audience in mind, or just a personal expression?

Nice example though. Very nice work.

-ERD50

Thanks. I wanted to keep the onscreen text consistent, but you're right, some are hard to read as a result. I'll use a light and a dark, probably same colors next time.

We were planning on narration, but none of us have appealing spoken voices, so we consciously chose not to. I did read some online sources that said nothing wrong with both of the content is short, most of our was. And I wanted to find good background instrumental music, but couldn't find anything I liked that was fitting. We also thought lyrics and narration would compete. Next time I may reduce the music volume where narration occurs.

... Next time I may reduce the music volume where narration occurs.

I had meant to add earlier, just for general info in handling audio in video - the program "Audacity" is an open-source cross platform audio editor tool that is very powerful, and pretty easy to use. It shouldn't be too hard to strip out the audio, edit it in Audacity, then re-insert it to the video, if your video editor doesn't have the options you need.

To automatically reduce music volume with narration, the process is called 'ducking'. Audacity should have lots of setting for this (how low to go, how fast to duck and return, etc).

-ERD50

Strictly an amateur effort, but a new video I helped shoot and edit.

I can't really add anything to what has already been said but I am curious how you handled the copyright issue of the songs. Facebook, for instance, is very restrictive in that area and it kinda surprises me that YouTube let it pass.

I can't really add anything to what has already been said but I am curious how you handled the copyright issue of the songs. Facebook, for instance, is very restrictive in that area and it kinda surprises me that YouTube let it pass.
I learned by trial and error until I found this https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music. Now I can check any song I want to see what I can/cannot use. I assume the artists/labels monetize the videos somehow, all I know is I can use them.

And don't forget the old saying "the best camera is the one with you". So make sure whatever you buy is not inconvenient or too bulky, heavy, to carry around.

Came across this recent article about the selection of a new camera for video:

Best Camera for Travel Video: Sony a6500 or Canon EOS 80D? | Stark Insider

And here's one of the videos he made with the new camera he bought for the trip he referred to:

Wanderlust: Making croissants in Paris (Video) | Stark Insider
Thanks! I'm not sure I want the size or $ commitment of an ILC. But if I go that route, the Lumix G85 looks more tempting.

Again, I've come to believe content trumps image quality, and over $1000 diminishing returns come into play? Great content on a good smartphone is more effective than mediocre content on a high end camera IME.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom