Three brothers

Three brother retire within a six-year time period. Each puts $1,000,000 into an S&P index fund and withdraws $5,000/month. No adjustments for inflation.

Brother 1 retires Jan 1, 1997.

Brother 2 retires three years later, Jan 1, 2000.

Brother 3 retires another three years later, Jan 1, 2003.

Fast forward to mid-2010:

Brothers 1 & 3 have portfolios valued at over $1,000,000 each.

Brother 2's portfolio is under $250,000.

As others have pointed out, Brother 2 never had as much money as Brothers 1 and 3.

Let's see.

Jan 1, 1997 - S&P500 was at 741
Jan 1, 2000 - S&P500 was at 1455
Jan 1, 2003 - S&P500 was at 909

Today, Nov 15, 2010 - S&P500 is at 1200

So, one can see that in the tremendous bull run from 1997 to 2000, Brother 1 would have seen his portfolio nearly double to $2M, if he was fully invested in the market. In 2000, at the same time that Brother 2 started to retire and draw $40K on a $1M portfolio, Brother 1 draw the same $40K on a $2M portfolio.

Fast forward to today, Brother 2 is in big trouble, while Brother 1 still has $1M. That's not surprising at all, except Brother 1 would be reminiscing of the $2M portfolio he used to have in 2000. Well, if Brother 1 was able to [-]time the market[/-] rebalance appropriately, he would still have something more than $1M.

Now, consider the possibility of another brother, called Brother 4. This brother worked part-time, so as not to draw down his stash at all. He watched the market and made some [-]trades[/-] rebalance moves, which although far from perfectly timed did help some. And this Brother 4 now has more than the other 3 brothers, although he bought a 2nd home and a motorhome. :cool:

Should this Brother 4 quit his part-time work now? :hide:

And he changed his name to SW-Bound or Not Moving! :) OK, OK, all joking aside, I would take a part time job just to keep my brain juices flowing as long as I don't have to work with idiots or deal with politics which is pretty much my whole existence right now.

I wouldn't take a part time job for all the tea in China. I'd rather do some SERIOUS belt-tightening, if necessary, than have to go back to work. The reduction in hours from full time to part time is nice, but half the hours doesn't mean half retired. It just means that you are still doing what someone else wants you to do, but you aren't as exhausted while doing it. ;)

Being retired means that you can decide for yourself what to do with your own time. It's an experience that just can't be appreciated fully until one is fully retired, IMO.

FREEDOM - - so many dimensions

YouTube - Blues Brothers - Think (Aretha Franklin)

Last edited:
OK, OK, all joking aside, I would take a part time job just to keep my brain juices flowing as long as I don't have to work with idiots or deal with politics which is pretty much my whole existence right now.
All joking aside here too, if you found one of those jobs then why the heck would you ever want to retire?

Are you thinking about market timing?

images

I wouldn't take a part time job for all the tea in China. I'd rather do some SERIOUS belt-tightening, if necessary, than have to go back to work. The reduction in hours from full time to part time is nice, but half the hours doesn't mean half retired. It just means that you are still doing what someone else wants you to do, but you aren't as exhausted while doing it. ;)

I think going part time would work if I was slowly phasing work out, such as going from full-time down to part time, and then eventually phasing part time out once I wanted to be fully retired. But yeah, I don't think going back the other way would work out as well. Work is work, whether it's full or part time.

Even though I'm still a full-time employee, I went through something like this when I gave up my second job delivering pizzas. At my peak, I was working 5 days per week, easily 35+ hours per week, as I struggled to pay down the debt from my divorce. But then, when the finances improved I dropped down to 4 days, and ultimately just to three days, Thurs/Fri/Sat, 5-close. I finally got fed up and quit that job in late 2000, when my portfolio was at its then all-time high, and I thought I didn't need the money anymore.

And of course, a few weeks later, the market started to really crumble, so I decided to try going back to work, but in a reduced capacity. Instead of working 5-close those three days, I cut back to just Thursday and Friday, and would work from 5 until business slowed down and they cut me. My take home from that job dropped from around $300-350/week down to around $100-150, which was all I really needed. But I just started hating it. Having the 5 days off made me hate the days I had to work even more than when I only had 2, 3, or 4 days off.

I probably would have done better if I had just tried to cut back from 3 days to 2, rather than totally quitting, and then going back after a month.

Well, Brother 4 has the choice of accepting only a job or project that he likes, that he feels is challenging, and working any hour or any way he likes. Of course he has to deliver results within a certain time frame. But is that any different than a full retiree who doing some housework for himself? Or Sister 1 who uses a Gantt chart to remind herself of a self-committed schedule to get moving? ;)

And given a couple of days of consecutive market drop like today, Brother 2 will be loosing sleep, not knowing he should be selling or buying (remember that he is drawing $40K on a portfolio of only $250K now). :nonono:

So, why should Brother 4 not be happy with his situation now, and to continue while he still feels content with it?

So, why should Brother 4 not be happy with his situation now, and to continue while he still feels content with it?

Brother 4 should be happy with his situation and continue [-]paying taxes and social security [/-] on in bliss. Brothers 1,2 &3 appreciate it.

I agree. If someone retires and requires stock market returns to fund their lifestyle they should have some flexibility in their expenditures.

If the market crashes, plan on cooling it for awhile. If the market booms, have a party.

If it was me I'd gladly cut back during the dips to avoid going back to paid w*rk.

Back
Top Bottom