Tinnitus help through hearing aids

If you do decide to get hearing aids, be sure to check out Costco. They have salaried, experienced audiologists and the prices of their hearing aids are excellent. Adjustment visits are free. No games.

If you do decide to get hearing aids, be sure to check out Costco. They have salaried, experienced audiologists and the prices of their hearing aids are excellent. Adjustment visits are free. No games.
Costco was mentioned twice already in a different light. I've heard they do not enable the tinnitus masking features even if the hearing aid model supports it:
No one has responded to say otherwise.

For those who suffer from tinnitus, Apple just put out a big study with the Univ. of Michigan that may offer some good suggestions on how its products may help:
Apple Hearing Study shares preliminary insights on tinnitus
Nothing for me there. It was more what their products can do about preventing hearing damage and tinnitus, including preventing worsening it, but there's nothing their products can do to reduce existing tinnitus. It talked about their apps detecting background noise levels so you can avoid hearing damage. And of course reducing loud background noise with ANC technology and limiting the volume could help prevent worsening conditions, but none of those actually reduce existing tinnitus. You would be better off avoiding earbuds and headphones completely and using good hearing protection. Looks like the vast majority in their survey had mild tinnitus, which of course, it true. I had that many years ago before turning severe, which is a whole new experience.

We can hope the the Shore / Auricle device (developed at University of Michigan for over a decade) actually helps where Lenire and others have failed. It's a product that actually showed during a study a deduction in tinnitus volume in decibels (dB) for about half the participants. They are not letting it be known whether it has been submitted to the FDA for regulatory approval, yet, which can take months, and then there will be the time to commercialization and rolling the product out.

It provides some hope, but even then, it just lowers the tinnitus some, like maybe 12 dB average (based on study), it doesn't eliminate it or cure it. I've talked about these devices in past threads.
12 dB perceived reduction would be a big improvement. I'd pay a small fortune for THAT kind of improvement. I'd like to see the data if anyone knows of such.

About hearing aids, they haven't helped my tinnitus but have made a big difference in my enjoyment visiting with friends. Before I'd miss more and more of the conversation when more than 1 or 2 people were talking. And I'd just feel worse not being able to understand the conversation.
That's where I'm at. Being in a crowd and trying to understand someone is impossible. I can be at the far end of the house and hear my wife come in door, but put me in a room of people and I just have no interest because I can't hear. We have a lot of "what?" going on between my wife and myself. Yes, I have a tinnitus that has good and bad times. Reading this thread, I was thinking, when we visit my daughter we often go out to someplace with a crowd, my thought was, it won't be long before I bow out of going out to anyplace noisy.
I'd rather sit in the car and play with my phone! :)

12 dB perceived reduction would be a big improvement. I'd pay a small fortune for THAT kind of improvement. I'd like to see the data if anyone knows of such.
12 dB gets into a helpful range for me, but that was just an average, so many did worse. Although, it's possible that longer term use of the device could help more. If your hearing loss is over 50 dB, or 55 dB at the tinnitus frequency, it's not as likely to help. That was the cut-off for participation in the study.

The full phase 2 study can be read here. There's a pdf of the study and some supplemental information:

Susan Shore / University of Michigan / Auricle Device

Back
Top Bottom