To all of you Young Dreamers

() said:
Thats right, i'm Mr. Mom. 

I'm "Mr. Mom" too, but no kids here, just 4 pesky dogs. Actually, I hate the job
but I'm kind of "stuck" with it. I didn't inherit any "handy genes"
which is my cross to bear.

JG

Three dogs, three cats, three people...somebody always needs to be paid attention to, fed, a water bowl refilled, a bottle warmed or something needs to be fixed or installed.

I have no idea how i'd manage to fit a job outside the home into this. Occasionally my wife asks if I'd rather still have my old job. After a careful consideration that takes .02 seconds, I say "NO!".

The lady across the street had twins the month after Gabe was born. Her husbands out the door before 6 and doesnt come home until after 11. Not sure what he does. Anytime I'm having a tough day I just have to spot her hauling her twins and the other two kids they have from car to house.

But some day maybe i'll have more time for that cuban/uma thing.

piranha said:
$70 a week from the paper route
times
52 weeks in a year
times
7 years
equals
$25,480 in cash (not including interest) by the time I was 16 years old. Allow that to grow for another 6 years (with interest) and when my parents turned over the accounts to me... I had around $34,000 in money I had earned on my own in savings.

I am quiting my day job and finding a job as a paper boy. I will probably get more exercise that way than sitting in an office all day!

Barry said:
I am quiting my day job and finding a job as a paper boy. I will probably get more exercise that way than sitting in an office all day!
And there are the Christmas tips and cookies. ;)

Barry said:

Mine drives around in an old minivan sucking down coffee while one of his kids throws the papers out of a back window. If that counts as exercise, i'm IN! :)

I wish I could convince my friends to see the light, it's a lost cause. We are just the exceptional ones. ;)

Laurence said:
I wish I could convince my friends to see the light, it's a lost cause. We are just the exceptional ones. ;)

Same here. I told a coworker who's about 30 of my plans, and his response was, "I'm working till I'm 65. Why wouldn't I"? I guess he assumes SS will be there when he's 65? Maybe.

Yeah, I've practically given up in trying to talk to people about that stuff.  It's hard enough getting a positive response about being fiscally prudent, let alone taking the time and effort for FIRE. 

Oh well, I just keep quiet.  I don't stop looking for those exceptions to the rule, though.

bow-tie said:
Yeah, I've practically given up in trying to talk to people about that stuff.  It's hard enough getting a positive response about being fiscally prudent, let alone taking the time and effort for FIRE. 

Oh well, I just keep quiet.  I don't stop looking for those exceptions to the rule, though.

You should always be on the lookout for exceptions to the rule. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people only strengthens your resolve to pursue FIRE.

Jay_Gatsby said:
You should always be on the lookout for exceptions to the rule. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people only strengthens your resolve to pursue FIRE.

Exactly why I come here, amigos! :)

I'm not sure how much of a saving nature is taught and how much is just a natural part of that person. We have two children, daughter 19 and son 17, both earned money baby sitting and cutting grass (son) at about 12- 14 and then started working part time jobs with pay check beginning their junior year of high school. Our daughter has always been frugal and has amassed a savings account of over $6K and she pays for car repairs, college books and meal plan. Our son on the other hand has about $500 saved and spends it like there is no tomorrow. Both have been taught the same value of saving and earning a living but they react differently.

N2FIRE said:
I'm not sure how much of a saving nature is taught and how much is just a natural part of that person.... Both have been taught the same value of saving and earning a living but they react differently.

I agree with that for the most part.  My mother has told me how I use to go shopping with her as a little tyke and compare prices.  She said she how no idea where that came from.  I don't remember it, so I can't say if she's blowing smoke or not.  I do remember as I got older going shoe shopping with her and looking for the best value, not really paying attention to name brands.  That subsided a bit, but not completely.

I may have been born with a penchant for frugality, but I definitely know it was reinforced by my father, with the way he talked about money, and with the example(s) he set.

I'm glad that most people don't see the light. Someone has to work and borrow in order to make savings pay off and ER possible.

Back
Top Bottom