To be retired in 6 months

QMAN

Dryer sheet wannabe
Ok. My name is Mark, I am about to be 66 and to be retired by company from 43 years in big corporate America at end of year. Finances all good. So money will not need to be a focal point… as have more than I likely will need over remaining life. Just not sure what to do with myself if don’t have the purpose of a job to go to each work day.

Any advice on making transition appreciated.

I chose to travel/camp and see the country. Others I know that I worked with that retired, decided to spend their spare time volunteering to do things like deliver meals to the elderly and others do things like taxes for the elderly. You have to find something that you enjoy and gives you fulfillment.

Well, you have several months to plan for your retirement, so take advantage of that time. What I did, which may be of help to you: start writing down EVERYTHING you might be interested in pursuing as a hobby, to one extent or another. You should not view any interest as having to occupy all, or even a large amount of time. Nothing wrong with doing a lot of activities, each one only occasionally. Somewhere in this mix you may land upon a handful of activities/interests you'll want to pursue more extensively.

Welcome to the forum!
What do you currently like to do while on vacation/weekends/away from work?
Hobbies/interests, etc.

A great book recommended here frequently and one of my favorites:
Ernie Zelinski "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free"

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Is a good idea to have some things in mind that you might like to do when you retire, but be prepared for the possibility that you might not want to do them when you actually retire. I have only done one of the things on my list, but have taken up hobbies and volunteer opportunities I would never have imagined when I was working. The things I thought I'd want to spend time on while I was working just don't appeal to me at all now that I'm retired. I'm enjoying the heck out of my crazy retirement hobbies though!

I'm guessing this separation from your long c@reer can't come as a huge surprise. If you haven't figured out what you wish to do with the remainder of your life, you need to get started. You've got 6 months, so start today. Suggesting activities probably isn't helpful but you know what you like to do in your time off. If you'd just like a j*b to go to, you can find one at minimum wage. Personally, I'd be looking at hobbies, but that's just me.

I've mentioned before that my dad couldn't handle being retired. He looked for and found j*bs for the remainder of his life. I couldn't live like that but that was his life. YMMV

I was exactly the same before pulling the trigger, not worried about money, but what would I do to avoid boredom? I did Ernie Zelinski’s Get-A-Life-Tree, and I felt much better after the exercise. It took about 10 minutes the first pass, and I added to to over the next few days. Everyone should do it IMO, it’s so easy. Here’s a link and example result.

https://4minutewriter.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/the-get-a-life-tree/

get%2Ba%2Blife%2Btree.jpg

I was exactly the same before pulling the trigger, not worried about money, but what would I do to avoid boredom? I did Ernie Zelinski’s Get-A-Life-Tree, and I felt much better after the exercise. It took about 10 minutes the first pass, and I added to to over the next few days. Everyone should do it IMO, it’s so easy. Here’s a link and example result.

https://4minutewriter.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/the-get-a-life-tree/

get%2Ba%2Blife%2Btree.jpg
This sums it up pretty well!

I know many like yourself that never had anything in life but their job. I'm not sure that is your case or not but if you haven't had some passion/hobby in life other than work, it may be a long hard retirement for you. Most that can't except or able to stay busy in retirement on their own do struggle.

I'm not trying to discourage you but if your life needs that work structure to be happy than it could be a long miserable time for you.

You may want to keep working or find a love for something and take it to another level. You can't just retire you need to retire too something.

Do some traveling, do some exercise, meet some new friends, write a book or read books, and maybe do some meditation? Find what you want to do.

Maybe... just take the plunge and go abroad to live ? I did.

First of all...congrats on making it to retirement !!
I think you should first look at your Wants, Interests, and Desires.
a. Do you have any dreams about what you may have ALWAYS wanted to do if you hadn't done what you did until now, with your life? Art, sports, lifestyle, ?
b. Do you have any hobbies that you think will become a bigger part of your life now that you'll have seemingly 'endless time' ??
c. Is there anything about your current life that you don't want to leave 'behind'?? Like climate, specific local/area, pets, membership in organizations or clubs? Family/friends? peer group? etc.
d. Is there anything that sat in the back corner of your mind for all these years and you thought 'I can never do that... or can I??' Maybe it's time to take risks ? You may be surprised.

Here's my story:
My job was coming to an end (the comp. didn't need me due to elimination of specific brand interests) and I wanted to get out of the political turmoil that i saw on the horizon... so, I just jumped on a plane once i was free, and headed to central america to "look around". I fell in love with it down here and finally settled on a quiet rural/agricultural area of Costa Rica. Even though I could have gone 'rural' in the US... I wanted a bigger change. I always thought throughout my later life (50's).... OK, I've done this... from a big mid-west family, grew up a Huck Finn childhood, went to college and grad school, settled into a big city and ... WORKED. I knew it was time to take my independence and resourcefulness and unbox my adventurous self and try an all new culture in an all new place.
I bought; I moved; I did some renovations; and now... I am here. I garden, i have friends, i travel a little bit around costa rica (small country with big NATURE) and I am just enjoying the challenges and rewards of learning a new culture/language/climate. I have been able to 'help' those near me that need it but not as hand-outs... more like: you help me and I'll help you. Everybody needs work and I am happy to pay; plus, I meet more people and make the necessary connections needed in a culture of trading and favors.
Basically, I'm looking at my everyday life now and realizing "wow... I would never have experienced 'that' in my big city USA life" All is new, and I really don't miss the US at all. Just friends and family... but this place is only a 3 hour flight from Miami... it's not like i am living in the middle of India (which, probably would have been an AWESOME option!)
I can't believe how much I actually enjoy getting dirty, and how much I seem to enjoy the RAIN, and the birds, and no winter, and the subtle nuances of country life. Who am I?? LOL... I'm actually living on less than $600 a month, on average; and after 4 years find myself lacking of almost nothing.
I feel very fortunate and it is AMAZING to live somewhere where most people have very little to nothing, but are happy anyway. The people actually LIKE each other here!!! And living in a place where insurance is almost non-existent (CR has nationalized healthcare; homeowners is unheard of outside of the city); phone bills almost don't exist (people rely on Whatsapp); and there is no such thing as 'the mail'... is just a little sign that seems to tell me that much about life 'up there' was full of needless nonsense and un-ending sales pitches. I can't believe how much I do 'without' down here, and yet, I'm happier, less stressed, and hopefully a better/healthier person for it!

Just some food for your mind.... good luck!! t

^^^^^happyhere, You SOUND happy. What a great, bold move you made. I bet a lot of us would be curious to follow your adventures on a dedicated thread or one of the living abroad ones.

Back
Top Bottom