Took the plunge, bought a kilt

I don't know Nick, seems the ladies like you in a skirt. I sorta think you look like you should be pushing a shopping cart. (heh)
Yeah, there is a guy I see often in my neighborhood pushing a shopping cart and wearing a skirt, or sometimes a dress. No one would mistake his skirts and dresses for kilts, though. He seems to have lots of friends around.

I would feel so vulnerable, not only being whacko but also wearing a skirt. I think one or the other would be about my limit.

Ha

I do not mind a guy in a kilt but I draw the line at a guy looking through my closet for something to wear and don't even think about touching my Vera Bradley purses !:)

I do not mind a guy in a kilt but I draw the line at a guy looking through my closet for something to wear and don't even think about touching my Vera Bradley purses !:)

Heh, I guess that CRV is workin for ya!

I would like to know if it's all a void underneath, or is it like a pair of really baggy shorts.
I'm sorry? A void? Oh, you mean the garment. :) Yes, it's a void. The topology is the same as a skirt.

This particular model has a "modesty system" which lets you loosely connect the front to the back using a toggle, so the whole thing effectively becomes a giant pair of shorts, but it doesn't do anything for the line, so that's only for high winds and motorbike riding.

The FAQ on that website is hilarious!
The whole site is very cool. I have so far found 3 of George Carlin's 7 words on there, which is fairly anti-corporate, although perhaps not too much so for Seattle.

The kilt comes with cards in the pockets, both the company's business cards (their advertising is mostly word-of-mouth) and a couple with bits of philosophising about the product - one is a postcard which you can mail, with the message partly pre-filled: "Dear _____, Look what _____ just got!", etc. Another card contains this phrase, which I liked: "Wearing a Utilikilt ensures that you are met with minimum preconceptions".

It's very, very comfortable on a cramped coach-class airline seat. Way better than having jeans seams bundled up into your "gentleman's area" for a couple of hours. And pulling off the pockets to toss all your metallic stuff onto the conveyor is cool too, but I did need to walk through the metal detector gate a little carefully after removing my belt. :whistle:

I have a few traditional handmade kilts in the family tartan but I have never tried a Utilikilt since I wear mine on special occasions (parents funerals, Robert Burns dinners, Weddings, formal gatherings, etc.).
Utilikilts are more of a modern, everyday wear, and utilitarian (pockets, etc.) design. However, I would suggest you may be wearing it a little low on the hips. Kilts are more properly worn so that the bottom edge is about mid kneecap or just slightly higher. Unless, of course, you are into more of the more Hip Hop style then it needs to be lower on the buns to show your boxers.

Cheers!

Kilts are more properly worn so that the bottom edge is about mid kneecap or just slightly higher.
One of the cards included with the kilt specifically addresses this. It says that, unlike Scottish kilts, Utilikilts are designed to be worn slightly below the waist, and with the knees completely covered.
Unless, of course, you are into more of the more Hip Hop style then it needs to be lower on the buns to show your boxers.
The last part of that statement contains an assumption, which I humbly submit you are not in a position to make. :cool:

Bump!

I've been having a blast wearing my kilt to all kinds of places. It's interesting seeing the different reactions in different countries (so far I've worn it in the UK, Spain, France, Luxembourg, and Germany).

And to get you in the Hogmanay mood (featuring mild nudity): The True Scotsman

It's very, very comfortable on a cramped coach-class airline seat. Way better than having jeans seams bundled up into your "gentleman's area" for a couple of hours. And pulling off the pockets to toss all your metallic stuff onto the conveyor is cool too, but I did need to walk through the metal detector gate a little carefully after removing my belt. :whistle:

I wonder how a kilt will go over with the TSA and their screening. I assume you would chose the x-ray versus the aggressive pat down.

I wonder how a kilt will go over with the TSA and their screening. I assume you would chose the x-ray versus the aggressive pat down.

Save the patdown, just have them stand on a mirror.

I think I wrote up my experiences with this on a TSA thread... I've flown 3 times with the kilt and I only set off the metal detector once - the security guy approached with the wand and gave me a very cursory wave of it. He wasn't going anywhere near the 8-inch knife which could have been strapped to my thigh.

Anyway, I'd definitely go for the patdown. I don't worry about the X-ray but I would take the patdown for the LOL factor.

Bump!

I've been having a blast wearing my kilt to all kinds of places. It's interesting seeing the different reactions in different countries (so far I've worn it in the UK, Spain, France, Luxembourg, and Germany).

And to get you in the Hogmanay mood (featuring mild nudity): The True Scotsman
I am definitely living in the wrong country. :nonono:

Woooooo :cool:

I registered some Christmas firsts this year:

- First time I've ever known fresh snow on the ground on Christmas Day. This may sound weird to some people, but in 50 years I've never (*) experienced a blanket of fresh snow on the ground, despite living north of N48° during that entire time.
- First time in 15 years, and only the third time that I remember, that any snow has fallen on Christmas Day. It snowed non-stop from 8am on Christmas Eve until midday on Christmas Day. For some reason, it's almost always 10°C/50°F at Christmas where I am.
- First Christmas when I cooked the festive lunch in my kilt.
- First time in my life that I made a snow angel. In my kilt, of course. :D
162754_10150113962656663_721971662_7609014_3318346_n.jpg

Vous êtes un ange beau dans la neige, Monsieur!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom