Tool to report consolidated holdings

WhenIsItTime

Recycles dryer sheets
Is there a tool to consolidate holdings to review asset allocation and ideally compare to benchmarks?

I have holdings of company stock, 401k, IRA, online brokerage, etc. Looking to compile in one place other than Excel.

Interested in this topic as well. Is there a free or paid tool like Morningstar X-Ray that an individual can use without going through a financial advisor firm?

Is there a tool to consolidate holdings to review asset allocation and ideally compare to benchmarks?

I have holdings of company stock, 401k, IRA, online brokerage, etc. Looking to compile in one place other than Excel.
There is a paid version of M* X-ray as well as free.
The free version does not compare to a benchmark. At least the 2016 capture I have does not do that. It is useful, and worth the time and effort. You can enter the ticker, and either a percentage or amount. The tool is a little quirky, and it may take you a few efforts to get a result.
I have never used paid version, but it is said to break down your portfolio to individual companies, and will show the intersection across your funds.

There is a paid version of M* X-ray as well as free.
The free version does not compare to a benchmark. At least the 2016 capture I have does not do that. It is useful, and worth the time and effort. You can enter the ticker, and either a percentage or amount. The tool is a little quirky, and it may take you a few efforts to get a result.
I have never used paid version, but it is said to break down your portfolio to individual companies, and will show the intersection across your funds.

If it's just a one time interest, you can get a free two week trial of the M* premium service. The only downside is that you'll be on their email list for the rest of your life.

Quicken Premier for Windows includes a portfolio X-Ray capability (through Morningstar) that’s useful.

If you’re good about entering your investments in Quicken, the data is already there for the X-Ray tool to use.

It seems to me to be less comprehensive than what is provided by going directly to Morningstar, but still gives what I guess most people want.

I find the “stock intersection” listing interesting. It pulls out recent holdings from mutual fund reports and combines them so that you can find out what underlying stocks you really hold and how much each is weighted in your situation.

My sister is trying to get a handle on all her investments so is looking for a tool also. Her stuff is spread across Schwab, Fidelity and TIAA-CREF. She does not trade actively, just wants to have one place to see how things are doing and figure out her re-balancing and where to make a withdrawal from. Will Morningstar help with that?

I have been using Quicken Premier for the last several years, ever since Microsoft discontinued its equivalent software called MS Money.

Being an active investor with many accounts (his/her 401k's, IRAs, Roths, brokerages in addition to credit cards), I need some software that can download data from all my online accounts. With very little work, I get records of expenses as little as $0.99 I paid for some seeds on eBay with PayPal, up to large blocks of stock trades and IRA withdrawals.

A while back, we had a thread or two where we exchanged ideas of using something other than Quicken when they raised the price of the software. Being so dependent on software to keep track of my finances, I need some software like Quicken.

I hate to be held hostage, but have not found something to replace it. Perhaps I have not invested enough time, but that's the crux of the problem. I don't want to spend too much time to save a few bucks if Quicken does not upset me too much (it crashes sometimes when doing updates).

PS. What I still have to do by hand: 1) entering interest paid on my I-bonds as the TreasuryDirect site has no provision for Quicken interface, and 2) entering in the daily prices of stock options that I hold (I want to mark them to market values each day until expiry or I close them out). Stock options can be thinly traded, and often have no trades in order to know the market prices. Some sites report prices of the last trades, which could be way outdated. Merrill Edge reports the average of the bid and ask values, and that is better than nothing.

Last edited:
I've used Personal Capital for several years. The portfolio analysis section is quite good. It shows consolidated holdings across all accounts, including asset allocation, performance vs various benchmarks, US sector allocation, expense ratios, recommended rebalancing, long-term historical performance of your AA, efficient frontier, etc. It's also got a retirement planner which seems to be pretty good and getting better. It also tracks cash inflow, expenses, net worth, real estate values, and probably some other stuff I don't recall. It's free to use the software. But when you first sign up, you will get a call and/or email from a financial advisor. Just say 'no thanks' and they won't bother you again. Of course, you also have to be comfortable providing all your passwords.

All of our accounts are now at Fidelity, so I tend to just use Fidelity's internal portfolio analysis tools and account aggregator (Full View). But I still have the Personal Capital account and like to log-in from time to time.

My sister is trying to get a handle on all her investments so is looking for a tool also. Her stuff is spread across Schwab, Fidelity and TIAA-CREF. She does not trade actively, just wants to have one place to see how things are doing and figure out her re-balancing and where to make a withdrawal from. Will Morningstar help with that?
Morningstar does not look at your account. Something like mint will do that.

You can use Morningstar by creating an account there. And you can set it so you don't get emails of any kind.

The X-Ray tool is great at looking at a total portfolio and seeing how your asset allocation lines up, and where you are invested globally. You can save it to the Your Portfolio tool (I believe).

The Your Portfolio tool will keep your assets and report on them individually (Tracking Tab), you can customize this tab. The My View tab takes the same holdings and provides additional measures like the Morningstar Equity style box, Expense Ratio, % SEC Yield - again - customizable.

The My Performance Tab lets you see a graph of your Portfolio's growth compared to a long list of indices. You can measure one index against your Portfolio.

HTH,
Rita

In addition to tools like Sig Fug or Personal Capital, if one of your accounts is Schwab, you can import from other brokerages and track it all there automatically.

Back
Top Bottom