Top 10 Gifts for the Woman Over 65

I can't believe diamonds didn't make the list. They should be #1.....always.....any age.

I can't believe diamonds didn't make the list. They should be #1.....always.....any age.
DeBeers paid those women a lot of money over the years to sing those praises.

I learned from "All The Money In The World" that the concept of diamond engagement rings didn't even really exist until the early 20th century. Totally manufactured by the... diamond jewelers.
Book review: “All The Money In The World”

I'm having my mother's engagement ring and eternity ring appraised, and I've learned that diamond sales are on the wane. One reason is because DeBeers has lost control of the monopoly (lawsuits, other competition). Other reasons are that people no longer want to have their carats associated with "blood diamonds", costume jewelry is better than ever, and people prefer colored jewels like rubies & emeralds.

Our rings appraisal will probably be wildly overinflated, but at least we'll know exactly what we have. My spouse thinks the eternity ring is great and may someday pass it on to our daughter. Maybe our daughter will someday reset the engagement diamond for her own ring. But I don't think they're even worth the cost of insurance.

I'm not so sure that women value real diamonds as much as they once did, especially when QVC is selling the costume variety by the dumpsterload.

I agree with the point about DeBeers (diamonds are not actually that rare; they're just controlled by cartels) but I have no time for the "blood diamond" bleeding hearts. Some people are always looking for a way to "knock" luxuries - fur coats are bad, while leather goods are somehow OK; diamonds are bloody, but rubies (mined by people treated no better than slaves) are acceptable, etc.

I strongly suspect that by the time a diamond gets onto your finger, it has passed through so many hands there is no way to be certain if it financed a war - including one conducted by Genghis Khan.

My rant for the night.

A.

DeBeers paid those women a lot of money over the years to sing those praises.

Other reasons are that people no longer want to have their carats associated with "blood diamonds", .

Don't go for thongs------

Whew:facepalm:

Talk about timely advice, I'm going Christmas shopping tomorrow--(scratching thongs from list)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom