Travel trailer suggestions

Dh and I just came back from looking at travel trailers. He's looking at the type that let you load on the bikes, I'm not so sure about that type. We plan on looking more when we get home, ER is a couple years away but I want to make sure we are well informed before purchasing. I just have to remember to hide the checkbook from Dh.

I have owed one pop up trailer, went on to one Travel Trailer, and ended up with one 5th wheel. Easily we enjoyed the 5th wheel the most.

Some of the answer you're looking for is the degree of luxury that you want and can afford. For example, our 5th wheel had a slide out. WE LOVED the advantage of the slide out, made a HUGE difference as far as livability. We would never go back to a non-slide out, but of course, the slide out will cost more. I would agree.... go to some rec-vehicle shows and take a look.

FWIW, we had a regular Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 litre V8. Our 5th wheel was a light weight version at 5800 pounds dry and the Silverado had a towing capacity of 8200. We had no problems at all pulling our "lite" 5th wheel with the regular Silverado. We did this for 5 years.... and the 5.3 litre got good gas mileage relative to the larger V8s.

CRABBY JERRY said:
How about renting first before you commit any cash outlay.

I have called literally every dealer within 100 miles of my house and NOBODY rents trailers. They ALL rent motor homes tho. They all claim liability issues on the trailers?

jdw_fire said:
Please explain why not?

Strictly money. The trailer is less expensive since I have to have a truck for other reasons. We had issues with the drive train due to the way we used a motorhome. It would sit for long periods, but when it was used it was driven hard over mountains and loaded heavily. My Allison equipped Duramax eats up the mountains and big loads and never sits for more than a week or two.

As far as comfort while traveling and ease of use with kids, a motorhome wins hands down.

I have owned a class A, a class C, a pop-up trailer and a travel trailer. When I ER and go on extended trips to see the USA it will be in a 5th wheel with a Duramax/Allison truck. It drives comfortably, stops well and I like it.

If I were able to retire with over say.. 6 or 7 million I would buy a diesel pusher bus, but that's not gonna happen.

RVing is great, everybody can drive what they want and enjoy themselves. If you like motorhomes better then drive one, your reasons are your own and they are the only ones that really matter!

Enjoy...

retiredbop said:
I have called literally every dealer within 100 miles of my house and NOBODY rents trailers. They ALL rent motor homes tho. They all claim liability issues on the trailers?
retiredbop
I am late joining this thread but Cruise America rents trailers. They have added a 24 ft trailer this year to their RV Class C fleet.
We did our first RV experience with these folks on a late season repositioning rate that was very attractive. Check them out at http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv_rentals/trailer.asp
You will learn a lot in your maiden voyages. We currently have a 29' Class A and will probably be bumping up to a 32-4 units in the next year. Common advise in the RV world is to buy used and consider your first unit a "learner" so do not over-invest. Biggest single cost of ownership is depreciation
nwsteve

NWSteve, thanks for link. Good info, one small problem....

Travel trailers are available at the following locations:
Orlando (Kissimmee), FL
San Francisco (Oakland), CA
Los Angeles (Carson), CA
Inland Empire (Colton), CA
Las Vegas, NV
Phoenix (Mesa), AZ

I live in PA. LOL.

I think we'll look to buy a used unit in the $2500- $5000 range this year or next. Most of the scheduled vacations are already eaten up with motorcycle trips and bicycle races this year.

I was looking through my trucks specs in detail and found (in fine print) that 2001 Silverado 1500's need one of several factory installed heavy duty suspension options or they are limited to a 5000 pound trailer. 5th wheels are also not permitted by the specs.

I would assume this is true for all Chevy 1500s. That definitely limits my choices if I don't include a new truck to haul my test trailer.

I saw a VW rabbit in the wal mart parking lot the other day hooked to a trailer that had to be at least 5000lbs.

It didnt look too happy, but i'm guessing that most car/truck makers are pretty conservative about what the towing limits are.

I'm sure that trailer outweighed the car by a longshot.

Flat as a pancake around here, but some short yellow lights must lead to some exciting moments.

Considering the condition of the trailer, the rabbit and the guy sitting in the lounge chair next to the trailer...I'm not sure that braking is his biggest problem. In fact, bouncing all of them off a tree or two might have caused some improvements.

We have a 38' travel trailer with a slide out. We're not quite "Fulltimers", more like "3/4-Timers". The picture of the one from you initial post, Mike wouldn't work for me... I can just imagine pulling into a campground at the end of a long day on the road, pouring down rain & having to "set up" camp. Nuh-uh!

The major concern for DH in regards to RV: have enough truck to pull it, but even more important: the ability to STOP.

I think you've made a wise decision to start with a small used unit. That will get you out there, talking to other RV'ers & picking up lots of useful info & testing the waters before you wade in with a big investment in something you end up not happy with.

Here's a great forum for RV'ers you might want to check out: Escapees--

http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x

Bram said:
..... I can just imagine pulling into a campground at the end of a long day on the road, pouring down rain & having to "set up" camp. Nuh-uh!.....The major concern: the ability to STOP.....I think you've made a wise decision to start with a small used unit. That will get you out there, talking to other RV'ers & picking up lots of useful info & testing the waters before you wade in with a big investment in something you end up not happy with......Here's a great forum for RV'ers you might want to check out: Escapees--

1 - I must admit, that is a significant concern. Probably the least pleasant part of motorcycle camping is pulling in during a downpour and having to set up the tent and unpack.

2 - Truck is rigged with an electric brake controller for the trailer. Previous owner pulled a trailer with a BIG backhoe on it.

3 & 4 - Thanks Bram. Every now and then I actually have an intelligent idea, but I try not to let it go to my head. I'm sure to do something stupid shortly after if I do. I'll definitely be checking out Escapees.

I have never stayed in one (check specific manufacturer quality with the earlier link). Fiberglass skin is good because it can be easily mended (even a boatyard can do that). An easily accessed in the night port a potty would be a basic requirement IMHO. One of the websites I or others have given you has a checklist.

Thread I found mentioning that mfg: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/18946823.cfm

The one missing feature is a shower. For most women that is a major issue.

The tent that attaches could be a nice feature but where do you stow it?

I don't know this mfg at all but there are lots of features of this pop-up trailer that are attractive.
http://www.chaletrv.com/vs.php The photo of the shower must be for their XL model.

Bobot said:
Anybody have any knowledge of these things?

Before we bought we looked hard at all of the tiny trailers. Of all the models we were able to see in person the Casita was the best in every category.

Good floorplan, good construction, good resale.

They have a user group on the net if you can find it, I have not been on for awhile, if I come across it I will post it.

I may be missing something so feel free to correct me. The Casita is light but pricey for a nominal 16 or 17 feet. If you are pulling it with a minivan it might be all you can handle. My Chevy 1500 can pull a 23' Flagstaff super lite and they run new several thousand under the Casita. A 23 footer is pretty cozy but you don't have to go outside to change your mind.

2B said:
I may be missing something so feel free to correct me. The Casita is light but pricey for a nominal 16 or 17 feet. If you are pulling it with a minivan it might be all you can handle. My Chevy 1500 can pull a 23' Flagstaff super lite and they run new several thousand under the Casita. A 23 footer is pretty cozy but you don't have to go outside to change your mind.

I have a Casita - it is easy to handle; easy on gas; easy on the TV and have a very good resale value. It is small but it is a choice.

Back
Top Bottom