Treasury Direct

madatrub

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone a fan of the recent change? No more point and click keyboard (which you could defeat with a simple script), but now you get a OTP every single time you log on..

Should just rename it "Every Time Passcode".

Anyone else notice this?

Nice, but a little too late for me.

I had the click keyboard. So good to see that go. Been using the OTP anyhow since seems had trouble remembering my computer.

Too late as I'm about done with having all the EE bonds of megacorp maturing. I think maybe one more bond left. After that, no more treasure direct for me.

I noticed this when I did a redemption earlier this week. I don't care about petty stuff like this. So long as the website works, I can accomplish what I need to do, and the process is well structured.

I quickly found where I needed to submit my redemption request, it was easy, I received immediate confirmation email, and 2 days later the funds were in my bank account. Success.

The One Time Passcode is (now) simply a form of 2FA. If they don't do it that way, then be prepared to hand over your cellphone number and receive SMS text on each login attempt. It's not a big deal, and it's there for the user's protection. The website has had real issues to complain about in the past. The One Time Passcode does not even register as an inconvenience in my view.

Yes, I like it. For some reason, with the on-screen keyboard, it would often take me several attempts to gain access to my account. With the new protocol, I get in much more easily.

I log in quarterly so noticed the change last time.

I remember way back when we had a plastic card with a printed table to use to log into our account.

Since I-Bonds yield have moderated I'm now thinking of cashing out between Oct 2023 and Jan 2024 and will buy TIPs instead. If that's what I end up doing then no longer dealing with Treasury Direct will be a bonus.

Yes, I like it. For some reason, with the on-screen keyboard, it would often take me several attempts to gain access to my account. With the new protocol, I get in much more easily.

My thinking was that the crazy on-screen keyboard was there to defeat any keylogger that might be hiding on your system. IMHO they go overboard in one area of security and ignore the most vulnerable hack, which is going through customer service and pretending you're the owner of the account.

Since I-Bonds yield have moderated I'm now thinking of cashing out between Oct 2023 and Jan 2024 and will buy TIPs instead. If that's what I end up doing then no longer dealing with Treasury Direct will be a bonus.

I'm going to wait to see if they raise the fixed rate again. And, if so, what the new fixed rate is.

I'm going to wait to see if they raise the fixed rate again. And, if so, what the new fixed rate is.

Yeah... that is precisely why I phrased it as "thinking of".... but I think that TIPS in my brokerage account would be a good substitute for i-bonds without the hassle of Treasury Direct.

Treasury Direct, I had to change banks. Only took 2.5 months and I had to have a bank officer complete a form. TD goes out of their way to make it a bad experience for anything you want to do.

^^^^^
Statistics say that my wife will probably outlive me by 5-10 years, and I don't want her having to deal with Kafkaesque Treasure Direct. Yes, our daughters or a financial advisor could help her but I don't think the hassle/risk is worth the reward for me today or her tomorrow.

Treasury Direct, I had to change banks. Only took 2.5 months and I had to have a bank officer complete a form. TD goes out of their way to make it a bad experience for anything you want to do.
Now TD allows to change/add bank account on the website, way better than used to be. I just added a new bank account as primary on the website without any issue.

My thinking was that the crazy on-screen keyboard was there to defeat any keylogger that might be hiding on your system. IMHO they go overboard in one area of security and ignore the most vulnerable hack, which is going through customer service and pretending you're the owner of the account.

Dealing with TD customer service is likely to deter the hackers

Back
Top Bottom