TurboTax question. I didn't use them in '18

Kelor

Recycles dryer sheets
For my 2018 taxes, I completed nearly the entire TurboTax process, but found a few things that I wanted to go over with a local tax accountant, so I didn't pay, nor did I submit with TurboTax. Instead, I had the local tax preparer do my taxes.

This year I want to go back to TurboTax, but I'm already having problems.

TT is showing the 2018 tax forms that I completed with TurboTax, but those aren't correct. How do I delete them and input the tax forms done by the accountant?

I'm really surprised they are even there, as I never hit the final submit button.

To delete last year's unfiled return, just scan your hard drive for files whose names end in .tax2018 and delete them. (You really don't have to do this though, you can just ignore the list of old files.) TTax will always ask if you want to import files from the previous year. Lots of people just print and mail them, so it doesn't have anything to do with whether you submitted them electonically or not.

Do you have the accountant's return in a PDF saved on your hard drive somewhere? If so, just start a new return with TTax 2019 and when it asks you to transfer last year's data, click the Browse button below the list of last year's ttax files. Locate the PDF file and open it.

Thanks Cathy,

I will try it for sure. I don't have any hard drive files. This is just coming from TT online directly. I was just surprised when it showed a 2018 completed return. Hopefully it allows me to delete that return and input the correct one.

You should have an option to start a completely new return. It will be one of your first choices.

Back
Top Bottom