Two Years Into Retirement

ER Eddie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last year, when I hit the 1-year mark post-retirement, I wrote about what I'd learned. I'm at the two-year mark now, so it's time for an update. I suspect this will be my last one, since things are leveling out for me. I'm not sure if this will apply to anyone else or not, but I thought I'd share.

1. The main adjustment I've had to make is to life being smooth. I just don't have much I have to "cope" with or deal with anymore. No big problems, no major decisions to wrestle with. Knock on wood.

While this equanimity is nice, it's also something I've had to get used to, because it feels strange. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

It's not that I like problems or struggles. It's that, typically, those things were the impetus for a lot of personal learning and growth. I value that. Of course, I could create problems and struggles for myself, but that would be dumb. Besides, I like the ease and peace of mind I have. It's just taken me a while to get used to the lack of struggle.

2. I've developed a "routine," or a set of habits, that I like. I do pretty much the same thing every day: reading and coffee in the morning, bike ride, take my dog to the park, then a couple hours of writing and social media, followed by dog walk, then a big lunch and a nap. The afternoon is similar. I won't lay it all out for you, because it would bore you.

The point is, I've developed a routine I like. Sometimes I worry, "Have I fallen into a rut?" I don't think so, because although the activities are roughly the same, the content is always different. Whenever things start to feel stale, I shift the routine a little. So far, so good.

3. I've kept in touch with one friend from work, but I haven't had contact with any others. Establishing new friendships has been kind of tough because of the pandemic, but that's okay.

4. Speaking of the pandemic, it's been nice to see that I've survived the "isolation" quite well. I could even say that 2020-2021 have been some of the best years of my life. I'm a big introvert with a lot of solitary hobbies (e.g., reading, writing), so the enforced isolation hasn't been a bad thing.

5. Writing has turned out to be a big part of my retirement. I've learned that I enjoy blogging. I started one blog, then eventually turned that material into a book. Like many people, I have always wanted to write a book, and now I have. That's kind of satisfying.

It's not really about that, though. It's more about the pleasure of writing itself. I get into the "flow" of it. Hours can pass while I'm absorbed in the work, then I'll look at the clock and be stunned at how much time has gone by. It's something constructive to do in retirement. It's a way of giving my mind something to chew on, a problem to solve. I also think it helps a few people, so that's good, too.

It's nothing big. Small-audience stuff, relatively niche subjects. The book is just a modest self-published effort. But it gives me satisfaction and feels like meaningful activity, which I need.

6. I've started to buy some nerdy stuff to hang on my walls -- stuff that is kind of silly, but it makes me smile. Prior to this, all the artwork in my home was pretty serious -- you know, abstracts from famous artists, nature scenes, etc. But I'm starting to populate my walls with stuff that is kind of fun or nerdy, but which I think is kind of cool. I mean, why not? I've got the money. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my decor. Why not have some fun?

For instance, here's a poster that just arrived yesterday:

91KM4gNu%2BDL._SL1500_.jpg

I used to be into science fiction when I was a kid, and these old pulp SF covers (that's a reproduction of a magazine cover from the 50s) make me smile. I've also started to read some of the old SF writers I enjoyed as an adolescent.

Anyhow, that's about all that occurs to me. Onwards to year three.

ER Eddie--great update.
Starting year 5 and I've experienced #1-4 pretty much the same. Agree with #6 also, not that I buy art, but do things to have fun in retirement!

Life is good and I am blessed.

Thanks for the update. I'm not there yet - just a few more months to go - but I have anticipated points 1-3 as something that will happen to me as well. We shall see :)

Thanks for the update! I really enjoy reading other people’s transition stories.

In December I will be three years in, and like you, I probably won’t provide an update at that time. My situation and activities are still the same from my two year update. It was quite an adjustment early on but have leveled off nicely in the last year or so. Now most mornings I start my day with an early morning 3 mile walk around the lake. Just the other day on my walk I realized my overwhelming sense of peace and contentment. Feeling totally blessed and absolutely love where I am in life.

Congratulations on landing in a great space to decompress from the working years and from MegaCorp and to really begin living…

Sounds like a great two years. I wish you many more of the same.

Thanks for this post, especially about the occasional concern that you are in a rut. I’m one year in and sometimes have those thoughts. Then I usually remember, “Wait, it’s Tuesday and the rest of the world I knew is in meetings and under deadline.”

Tomorrow is a retirement picnic for my former boss, where I’ll see all the people who have been working from home. Most of them haven’t seen each other either. Should be plenty weird.

I'm so glad that your life is running so smoothly.

We're 12 years into ER, and when you get a little older health issues crop up. It's most important that you continue to ride your bicycle, eat right and take care of your health.

We lost a close friend and co-worker this week that was my "right hand gal." She was one of the first employees of our MegaCorp and mentored so many of us guys that were right out of college. We have a F/B Group and people all over the country commented. Otherwise, we have little contact amongst retirees--in spite of working so close together for 30+ years.

It's nice to have survived the pandemic without any issues--and without any colds even. Now it's time to getting back to enjoying life and getting off my computer. I've got work to do around my real estate.

I'm glad the pandemic is waning, but as an off-the-scale introvert, it hasn't bothered me as much as DW. So glad to hear your 1st 2 years have gone well.

Here is hoping for many, many more years of FIRE!

Aloha.

Good update! All I can advise is to KEEP MOVING and get lots of sleep. You'll stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom