Uninsured Motorist in Florida

Really - your UM/UIM covers you as a passenger in someone else’s car?

Well, darn it- my company (State Farm) doesn't seem to provide policy wording on-line. According to this law firm site, it would if the driver doesn't have UM/UIM.

As I noted, though, not all policies are worded alike and that's the final authority.

We spend our winters in Florida, unless it's absolutely necessary, we stay home from Friday night until Monday at noon.This seems when most or at least a lot more of the ding dongs are behind the wheel. I've never seen worse driving skills anywhere else in the US.

Us locals don't drive at all during the winter. Too many ding dongs from up north on the roads. :cool::LOL::dance::popcorn::LOL:

Doing a quick internet search, 20.4% of Florida drivers are uninsured. In March, 2020, my DGF was driving and we were T-boned by a car going through a red light at ~ 55 mph. The driver was uninsured, DGF's uninsured motorist insurance was a very, very good thing.

Rich

In one year it went from $115 to $571 for 6 months 250k/500k.

That seems like a HUGE increase!

I was recently involved in a hit and run accident. Somebody rear ended me, then drove away. Perhaps they drove away because they did not have insurance. Fortunately nobody was hurt. My insurance paid to have my car fixed (less deductible). I do not know if it was paid by collision, comprehensive, or Uninsured motorist coverage.

I do not know Florida law, but it might be something to consider.

That seems like a HUGE increase!

I was recently involved in a hit and run accident. Somebody rear ended me, then drove away. Perhaps they drove away because they did not have insurance. Fortunately nobody was hurt. My insurance paid to have my car fixed (less deductible). I do not know if it was paid by collision, comprehensive, or Uninsured motorist coverage.

I do not know Florida law, but it might be something to consider.

Hit and run is not considered UM in most states. The other driver must be proven to be uninsured.

Last edited:
As I wrote in an earlier post, UIMBI is an unusual coverage which varies by state in its application. Uninsured Motorists Property Damage (UMPD) also varies a lot by state.

First, only some states even allow this coverage to be sold. In those states, the variations include:

(1) the coverage is mandatory or optional;
(2) the coverage can be sold only to those who have not bought collision (because UMPD often overlaps with Collision);
(3) there are higher deductibles for hit-and-run, when the other driver can't be identified;
(4) like Collision, the cost of this coverage varies based on the cost (i.e. Symbol Code) for your car;
(5) the cost sometimes varies based on where you live within your state (i.e. rating territory or tier);
(6) UMPD is sometimes sold only as a stand-along coverage, even if you have bought UMBI (i.e. a combined single-limit coverage is not available)
(7) higher limits of UMPD are not available;

These are the ones I remember based on my work in the personal auto insurance part of actuarial field, going back to when I last worked there through 2008. There might be a few others I can't recall or have been developed since I left.

Collision

I was hit by a drunk that took off after the accident. I got his plate # and the police officer who ran it said it was a former cop. Mysteriously they could never find him, but I did and gave the information to my insurance company. They had initially paid to have my car fixed less the deductible. A few months later when they realized this guy had no assets, they refunded my deductible using UIM.

I am thinking about dropping my Uninsured Motorist coverage with Progressive.
I understand it covers medical, lost wages, and pain and suffering if I am hit by an uninsured driver. In one year it went from $115 to $571 for 6 months 250k/500k. Since I am retired and have health Ins. It only gives me the ability to sue my own Ins for pain and suffering. Is that correct? Is there any other reason I need it? I have always had it since the cost was so minimal, but now it is 50% of my Ins. bill.

Any opinion or advice is appreciated.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to save money while only incurring minimal additional risk. I have removed my coverage in Florida. In Vermont (my previous state of residence) I was able to reduce the coverages to the minimum required while maintaining my above average liability coverages.

My agent in Vermont never saw this done until I asked him to do it some 22 years ago when I had the world in the palm of my hand. My agent in Florida made me fill out all sorts of waivers but that did not bother me!

I say go for it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom