Up 10% for the year

mickj

Recycles dryer sheets
Man, I am so lucky, I feel like I’ve been struck by lightning twice. Time to go back to index funds, I never thought I would actually be able to retire, let alone early. I feel very blessed.

Man, I am so lucky, I feel like I’ve been struck by lightning twice. Time to go back to index funds, I never thought I would actually be able to retire, let alone early. I feel very blessed.

Congrats! Now how are you up 10% for the year...do tell!

Congrats! Now how are you up 10% for the year...do tell!

Likely had good exposure to oil/energy. Mom had her entire equity AA (30%) in Exxon, Conoco, and Phillips 66 - she was up 25% for the year.

Each year, some concentrated portfolios would do well.

XLE, an energy ETF comprised of Exxon, Chevron, Shell, etc..., is up 57% this year with dividends.

ARKK fund was up 154% in 2020. Down -22% in 2021. Down -68% in 2022.

With dividends/cap gains reinvested here's the 5-year performance of ARKK against S&P 500:

Jan 2017 - Dec 2022: SPY 2.012x, ARKK 2.011x.

Lots of up/down, yet end up at exactly the same point.

Last edited:
Likely had good exposure to oil/energy. Mom had her entire equity AA (30%) in Exxon, Conoco, and Phillips 66 - she was up 25% for the year.

Good insight. Vanguard Energy Sector Fund is up 23.99% YTD and is far and away the best performer of all Vanguard funds. However, your mom suffered through a lot beforehand, as the Energy Sector Fund’s annual 10 year returns are just 1.61% while the S&P 500 index fund’s were 13.30%.

Good insight. Vanguard Energy Sector Fund is up 23.99% YTD and is far and away the best performer of all Vanguard funds. However, your mom suffered through a lot beforehand, as the Energy Sector Fund’s annual 10 year returns are just 1.61% while the S&P 500 index fund’s were 13.30%.

Oh, how you know it!!! I manage the portfolio for her, and I would have heart palpitations the way it would swing. The darkest days were when COP was below $30, XOM was almost $30, and PSX was almost $40 - and that was less than 3 years ago. COP and XOM have been at all time highs and I've been selling throughout the year. All the COP is gone, just a few shares of PSX left, and a modest amount of XOM left - but nothing like before. Much, much less volatility now.

Our 10-year index funds return is 7.5%. No WD, no changes, reinvest dividends. We have a mix of equity growth, S & P, total stock market, and a few others. My brain is bad at math regarding NPV, FV, etc. Are you better off with long-term gains as opposed to short-term gains?

I guess 10 year returns is still a random and meaningless starting date but it’s the oldest one that the Vanguard site provides from which to compare fund returns.

Speaking of energy stocks, I have an overweight of this sector, meaning a higher percentage of it than in the S&P 500. This helps reduce my loss relative to the S&P.

I don't have too much to reduce the concentration now, but will do so when I think the tide has turned. Or I will at least be more aggressive in selling calls against them.

Congrats on your retirement decision.
Sometimes I think the number 10% is first of all coming from academic text books and not from the observations of long term investors.
If you are invested in the right companies, you will do on average a lot better than 10%.
If you are happy with average or pick lame ducks, it will be a lot less than 10%.
Averaging with 10% seems to be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom