Using ChatGPT for travel routes

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ok, this is interesting. I asked ChatGPT to find me a route from Spokane, WA to Orlando, Fl by car, optimizing for inexpensive gas, low miles, and inexpensive hotel options, traveling by daytime only, not more than 400 miles per day maximum. Also tell me the total miles traveled vs the shortest possible route miles.

It gave me results, but I have not verified if they are accurate. I did notice one leg was more than 400 miles, so not sure what is up with that.

I wonder if this type of route planner exists elsewhere, in a more accurate form?

ChatGPT
Here's a suggested route from Spokane, WA to Orlando, FL by car, optimizing for inexpensive gas, low miles, and inexpensive hotel options, with daytime travel only and not more than 400 miles per day:

Day 1: Spokane, WA to Missoula, MT

Distance: Approximately 238 miles
Route: Head east on I-90 E. Spend the night in Missoula, MT.
Day 2: Missoula, MT to Bozeman, MT

Distance: Approximately 197 miles
Route: Continue east on I-90 E. Spend the night in Bozeman, MT.
Day 3: Bozeman, MT to Buffalo, WY

Distance: Approximately 375 miles
Route: Head south on US-191 S, then merge onto I-80 E. Spend the night in Buffalo, WY.
Day 4: Buffalo, WY to North Platte, NE

Distance: Approximately 375 miles
Route: Continue east on I-80 E. Spend the night in North Platte, NE.
Day 5: North Platte, NE to Kansas City, MO

Distance: Approximately 370 miles
Route: Continue east on I-80 E, then merge onto I-29 S. Spend the night in Kansas City, MO.
Day 6: Kansas City, MO to Saint Louis, MO

Distance: Approximately 250 miles
Route: Head east on I-70 E. Spend the night in Saint Louis, MO.
Day 7: Saint Louis, MO to Nashville, TN

Distance: Approximately 300 miles
Route: Continue east on I-70 E, then merge onto I-65 S. Spend the night in Nashville, TN.
Day 8: Nashville, TN to Atlanta, GA

Route: Continue south on I-65 S, then merge onto I-24 E. Spend the night in Atlanta, GA.
Day 9: Atlanta, GA to Orlando, FL

Distance: Approximately 440 miles
Route: Head south on I-75 S. Arrive in Orlando, FL.
Total miles traveled: Approximately 2,595 miles.

Shortest possible route miles (direct distance): Approximately 2,500 miles.

Please note that the actual total miles traveled may vary depending on specific routes taken, detours, and stops along the way. Additionally, gas prices, hotel rates, and road conditions may change, so it's a good idea to check for updates before and during the trip.

Oh boy, I have gone down a rabbit hole here.

Now I am optimizing a route for the cheapest 4 and 5 star hotels, cheapest gas stations, and shortest distance.

"Day 8: Nashville, TN to Atlanta, GA
Route: Continue south on I-65 S, then merge onto I-24 E. Spend the night in Atlanta, GA."

Only partially correct. I-24E doesn't go to Atlanta. You have to take I-24E to Chattanooga and then take I-75S to Atlanta.

"Day 8: Nashville, TN to Atlanta, GA
Route: Continue south on I-65 S, then merge onto I-24 E. Spend the night in Atlanta, GA."

Only partially correct. I-24E doesn't go to Atlanta. You have to take I-24E to Chattanooga and then take I-75S to Atlanta.

It also seems to have gotten the total mileage wrong. I get more around 2900 miles than 2600.

It is still impressive that it parses my question and at least gets somewhat close to what I asked it to do. I feel like this stuff is going to be amazing in a decade, to the point where you can ask it to find you a route that avoids conventions, has the best street tacos while allowing air quality to be better than 20ppm.

Given the data that supports the AI engine is years old, I'm not sure it's going to give you a good result. For instance, traffic can be very specific. There might be construction that causes a daily backup that google maps would "know" about, but it's current information, so the AI engine wouldn't have it.

You can go to Google maps and put in a future date and time for a route and it will give you a range of duration. You can change it from, say, a weekday to a Sunday, or to avoid rush hour and that often makes hours of difference.

Given the data that supports the AI engine is years old, I'm not sure it's going to give you a good result. For instance, traffic can be very specific. There might be construction that causes a daily backup that google maps would "know" about, but it's current information, so the AI engine wouldn't have it.

You can go to Google maps and put in a future date and time for a route and it will give you a range of duration. You can change it from, say, a weekday to a Sunday, or to avoid rush hour and that often makes hours of difference.

Yes, Google maps is very up to date. I was more interested in the idea that you could use AI to generate routes based on oddball requests that Google just would not handle. I don't think the AI is there yet but it is better than I thought it could be.

I wouldn't trust ChatGPT for driving instructions. I've seen how it invents BS out of thin air in several other subjects.

Google maps is great for current, accurate directions. I would like to see some improvements though. Like, being able to ask where the rest stops (or whatever) are along my route, instead of just near my current location. I'm not going to travel 10 miles at a 90-degree angle to my route, and back, to get to the nearest one.

I think the developers are all city dwellers, no road warriors.

Interesting. I have been doing serious road trip planning for a very long time and have my favorite tools. Google maps does most of it and I have certain hotels I prefer (not the cheapest ones). These days I also use A Better Route Planner app and the Tesla navigation system itself to fine tune as they compute charging locations and timing along the route.

I understand that this is an experiment for you.

We used to have good luck asking for a rest area along our route, maybe that was back in the old Garmin days. I’m not sure Apple Maps nor Google maps have caught up to that aspect.

Last edited:
I agree with it generating BS. I just asked it for a route across the USA that did not use interstates and it proceeded to have almost every leg on a I-something lol.

A friend used ChatGPT for suggested day trip itineraries during a 21 day cruise. i.e. What should I do in Lisbon? He said it provided a very good starting point, but needed 'human' intervention to fine tune the details.

I tried a simple version of your query
"
"Find me a route by road from Spokane washington to Orlando. Maximum daily distance of 400 miles"

..with Google's Gemini. It showed me the google maps route & asked me to break it up into 400 mile segments. Very disappointing.

CoPilot was a bit better and broke up the journey for me. It quoted driving in hours, not miles. That was strange, but in some ways, more useful.

Perplexity.ai is still churning away about 4 minutes after I asked it the question. I think broke it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom