"Vanguard founder Jack Bogle’s advice to fretful investors"

He has simple but extremely smart message...

Great message and perspective! Thanks for sharing.

Here's the gist from the article

“What’s going on in the market is domination of short-term speculation over long-term investment,” he said. “Long-term investors simply are not affected by the comings and goings of the market, where it looks like it goes up 100 points on odd-numbered days and down 100 points on even-numbered days.

“As I have said before, the daily machinations of the stock market are like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing,” Bogle added. “One of my favorite rules is ‘Don’t peek.’ Don’t let all the noise drown out your common sense and your wisdom. Just try not to pay that much attention, because it will have no effect whatsoever, categorically, on your lifetime investment returns.”

On why investors should ignore the noise and just aim for the index return over a lifetime:

“Returns are created not by the stock market, they are created by U.S. business, our corporations,”

He has simple but extremely smart message...

To wit:
If the stock market’s September-October flip-flop scared you, Jack Bogle has some advice on how to tackle what’s about to happen next: Close your eyes.

Also in the headline:
Vanguard founder Jack Bogle’s advice to fretful investors: Shut your eyes and let indexes do the work

Jack Bogle, IMHO, is a hero of the working class. I have to think he has literally helped millions, probably tens of millions of working people insure a better life for themselves, their families and others.

Bogle brand shark repellent - The original. None better.

Last edited:
His best guess is 7% nominal return for stocks. Should be about 4% - 5% real return then?

I'd go for that.

His best guess is 7% nominal return for stocks. Should be about 4% - 5% real return then?

I'd go for that.
+1, would exceed my expectations!!! Our AA and plan is based on 0-2% real returns. Let's hope...

Jack Bogle, IMHO, is a hero of the working class. I have to think he has literally helped millions, probably tens of millions of working people insure a better life for themselves, their families and others.

Bogle brand shark repellent - The original. None better.

Amen!

heh heh heh - :dance:

Back
Top Bottom