Vanguard glitch

Masquernom

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just added two factor authentication on my Vanguard account. When I log in, it's supposed to send me a text with a code number. It doesn't work. I click on the send another text 4 or 5 times. Nothing shows up. I switch to call with a code and the phone rings right away.

Anyone else have problems with the 2FA text code from Vanguard?

I get the SMS messages every time I log in. Has worked well.

Looks like I'm just cursed. 2FA on Vanguard works with phone call to get access code, but I don't get a text no matter how many times I ask it be resent. Just checked this morning again.

I also just enabled 2FA on Fidelity. Thought I'd check it was working. I can log in this morning directly. No 2FA at all. Checked my profile settings and it's enabled alright.

I sent emails to both companies this morning explaining the issues. I'll see what response I get back next week. I've checked everything I can in my iPhone settings. Don't see a problem on my end.

Looks like I'm just cursed. 2FA on Vanguard works with phone call to get access code, but I don't get a text no matter how many times I ask it be resent. Just checked this morning again.

I also just enabled 2FA on Fidelity. Thought I'd check it was working. I can log in this morning directly. No 2FA at all. Checked my profile settings and it's enabled alright.

I sent emails to both companies this morning explaining the issues. I'll see what response I get back next week. I've checked everything I can in my iPhone settings. Don't see a problem on my end.

This has happened to me with a different company. In my case, the reason was because I had previously blocked the phone number that the incoming text message was coming from. I blocked it using my iPhone's incoming call/text functionality. Companies such as Vanguard use a 3rd party company to actually send the text message. So it's possible you blocked it from a different company that annoyed you in the past. I had no idea when I blocked the number, but after I removed all blocked calls from my phone, I was able to get the text message for login code. Apple now allows a different way to block calls, so I wasn't bothered by removing all the blocked calls.

By the way, because Vanguard and other companies use 3rd party companies for this, the incoming number will not always be the same and it appears to change now and then. Some days my bank and Vanguard use the same incoming number. Some days they do not. For this reason, my authentication had worked fine for months. Then one day it would not work. Unblocking made it work right away.

You might look into this and see if that's causing the problem.

Have you received any other texts? Has SMS been disabled on the phone?

This has happened to me with a different company. In my case, the reason was because I had previously blocked the phone number that the incoming text message was coming from. I blocked it using my iPhone's incoming call/text functionality. Companies such as Vanguard use a 3rd party company to actually send the text message. So it's possible you blocked it from a different company that annoyed you in the past. I had no idea when I blocked the number, but after I removed all blocked calls from my phone, I was able to get the text message for login code. Apple now allows a different way to block calls, so I wasn't bothered by removing all the blocked calls.

By the way, because Vanguard and other companies use 3rd party companies for this, the incoming number will not always be the same and it appears to change now and then. Some days my bank and Vanguard use the same incoming number. Some days they do not. For this reason, my authentication had worked fine for months. Then one day it would not work. Unblocking made it work right away.

You might look into this and see if that's causing the problem.

Well, that fixed Vanguard. I assumed since the phone call with code worked, it would be from the same number as the text, so couldn't be blocked. I went in my iPhone and unblocked all numbers for messages. Now I get the text from Vanguard. :blush:
As far as I know, I only ever blocked texts from one number. However, in my iPhone, there were a bunch of numbers with messaging blocked. I've blocked various called numbers, maybe that's automatically blocks tests too?
Now to wait to hear from Fidelity.

Well, that fixed Vanguard. I assumed since the phone call with code worked, it would be from the same number as the text, so couldn't be blocked. I went in my iPhone and unblocked all numbers for messages. Now I get the text from Vanguard. :blush:
As far as I know, I only ever blocked texts from one number. However, in my iPhone, there were a bunch of numbers with messaging blocked. I've blocked various called numbers, maybe that's automatically blocks tests too?
Now to wait to hear from Fidelity.

Glad to hear that worked for Vanguard. If you still have some "contacts" blocked, you might just unblock them ALL like I have done. There is also a setting on your "Messages" settings for "Filter Unknown Senders" that might be causing issues. I have mine turned OFF. Perhaps that's causing the issue with Fidelity.

Also, I do think that blocking any number will block both calls and messages from that number.

In case you didn't know it, as of iOS version 13 that allows you to "Silence Unknown Callers" (it's on the Phone Settings screen). It sends any calls from numbers not on your Contacts list to voicemail. The call still comes in and shows in your lists, but it won't bother you with an audible notification if it's not coming from a current Contact. I find this totally solved my issue with SPAM calls. I don't mind seeing the notifications when I happen to look at my phone. But at least my dinner isn't interrupted by a SPAM call anymore. If it's a legit call, they can leave a message. My Contacts are the only ones likely to be calling with an emergency, so it would get through to me. I'm not really sure what it does with incoming text messages from people not on your contacts list. I don't think I've had any recently. But I've been living with NO blocked callers for several months now and I have a good quality of life so far.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that worked for Vanguard. If you still have some "contacts" blocked, you might just unblock them ALL like I have done. There is also a setting on your "Messages" settings for "Filter Unknown Senders" that might be causing issues. I have mine turned OFF. Perhaps that's causing the issue with Fidelity.

Also, I do think that blocking any number will block both calls and messages from that number.

In case you didn't know it, as of iOS version 13 that allows you to "Silence Unknown Callers" (it's on the Phone Settings screen). It sends any calls from numbers not on your Contacts list to voicemail. The call still comes in and shows in your lists, but it won't bother you with an audible notification if it's not coming from a current Contact. I find this totally solved my issue with SPAM calls. I don't mind seeing the notifications when I happen to look at my phone. But at least my dinner isn't interrupted by a SPAM call anymore. If it's a legit call, they can leave a message. My Contacts are the only ones likely to be calling with an emergency, so it would get through to me. I'm not really sure what it does with incoming text messages from people not on your contacts list. I don't think I've had any recently. But I've been living with NO blocked callers for several months now and I have a good quality of life so far.

I've unblocked everything and checked all the iPhone settings. Vanguard works fine now. Fidelity just lets me log straight in to their web site. They don't do anything, so their problem is not on my end. Maybe I don't have some setting on my Fidelity profile correct, or it takes a few days to take affect. I'll probably get the answer early next week in an email from Fidelity.

Of course, Fidelity still didn't tell me why I couldn't link my checking account to my new HSA online. Customer service just said they'd notify their IT department about that glitch.

Back
Top Bottom