Vanguard IRA Brokered CD's vs Traditional IRA CD's

jkern

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm planning on moving some IRA Stocks/Bonds (maybe $60k) to IRA CD's. I can do the transfers within Vanguard to the Brokered CD's or do a rollover to traditional bank IRA CD's.

I understand the differences in how these IRA CD's operate, but does anyone have a preference? It appears that the brokered CD's require a little more attention (i.e. when interest payments are paid to your MM account).

I've stayed away from brokered CDs in favor of Penfed and Navy FCU CDs. Others have posted about success using brokered CDs. I like that I can cash out my CD any time I need and not lose principal, although I would lose some interest depending on the institution. With a brokered CD my understanding is you sell it on the market like a security and can only get what the market offers, perhaps more or less than your original amount.

These 2 provide a good rate in general, maybe not the top but the couple times I've checked with Fidelity CDs they were in the ballpark. Just my $0.02

I've only bought brokered CDs. When they mature, the principal is automatically deposited into the brokerage account. I can make the decision on what to invest the money in next at my leisure.

I'm not sure why you think brokered CDs require more attention.

Call the bond desk at Vanguard and ask your questions. The Schwab guys are great and I would expect no less from VG.

I've stayed away from brokered CDs in favor of Penfed and Navy FCU CDs. Others have posted about success using brokered CDs. I like that I can cash out my CD any time I need and not lose principal, although I would lose some interest depending on the institution. With a brokered CD my understanding is you sell it on the market like a security and can only get what the market offers, perhaps more or less than your original amount.

These 2 provide a good rate in general, maybe not the top but the couple times I've checked with Fidelity CDs they were in the ballpark. Just my $0.02

NFCU /PenFed guy here, too. I've stayed away from brokered CDs for the reasons you mention. I also like having my fixed income in 3 separate buckets:
1. VG bond mutual funds
2. Direct CDs
3. I-Bonds

A major reason is that they're all conservative fixed income investments but with slightly different characteristics (advantages & disadvantages). By substituting brokered CDs for direct CDs I would be taking on one of the disadvantages of bond mutual funds (potential loss of principal during periods of rising interest rates) when I could protect myself from that risk with direct CDs (albeit at a slight interest rate reduction).

I think I get your point about brokered CDs requiring more attention. It’s less of an issue now that MM rates are ~2%. When rates were near 0, there was a need to get the dividend payments into something that pays better. At this point in time I would consider them equal and take the best rate or use some of each. I have CDs at 4 different credit unions but I’m likely to go with brokered CDs in the future.

I'm planning on moving some IRA Stocks/Bonds (maybe $60k) to IRA CD's. I can do the transfers within Vanguard to the Brokered CD's or do a rollover to traditional bank IRA CD's.

I understand the differences in how these IRA CD's operate, but does anyone have a preference? It appears that the brokered CD's require a little more attention (i.e. when interest payments are paid to your MM account).
I have a number of traditional bank CDs through internet banks (Ally, Synchrony, Discover, etc). One thing with these banks, they always run a credit check for each new CD you open, even if you are an existing customer. Not a problem, unless you have a freeze on your credit. I recently started buying brokered CDs through Schwab, and no credit check for these. So that is one advantage.

I like having my eggs in different baskets under one hen house. Being able to choose from dozens of bank CD's at one brokerage is a great service.

An IRA here, a 401-k there, and savings at 2-3 other banks or CU's could create real confusion for the surviving spouse. Brokered CD's simplify it, I think.

A couple of years ago, I jumped on the IRA CD bandwagon for a certain CU that always pops up on this forum with rave rate reviews. Rates were OK at the time, but not fantastic. A couple of months later, I discovered brokered CD's. No exaggeration: the brokered CD's have beaten those CU rates about 95% of the time.

I know there are folks who don't mind spread sheeting a dozen financial institutions, but I'm not one of them.

Back
Top Bottom