Vehicle Downgrade

Going Sailing

Dryer sheet aficionado
We are at T-10 months to FIRE VW is just about to buy back my TDI wagon for a handsome price. I am taking the proceeds and getting a shiny new high roach main sail and jib for my catamaran.

For a car, I am buying my son's 2000 Toyota Echo. it's a cosmetically questionable but highly reliable and cost- effective car. He has decided he doesn't want the expense of a car since he is living and working on campus this year. Smart kid. I don't want capital tied up in a vehicle that I might use 3 months a year.

I am so looking forward to driving it. It does not project an image of someone who has achieved any level of success in mid-life. And it is so nice not to really care what anybody thinks! I'll be sailing to the Marquesas while the engineer in the desk next to me is still making lease payments on her Lexus.

Oddly though, I would never rent my townhouse to somebody who drove up in a beat up old Toyota Echo. If the car is worth 3 weeks rent, how could a tenant afford the full month? and the month after that...

Time to start ditching the furniture.

My experience has been the opposite. People who have flashy cars are often short on rent.

Only risk is that is an old car. Rubber/plastic may start to break down (check hoses under hood). Crash rating isn't good. But if the risk of it not starting after a trip without some effort doesn't deter you and you don't plan on taking long road trips - sounds like a good interim solution while you are on the boat. Alternative is uber/rental and could be cost effective

I get the idea of a cheap car for 3 months a year driving, but small cars against the ever increasing SUV crowd is a painful collision.

I drove a 2001 Toyota Echo when I could afford much nicer cars. It is dependable and utilitarian. I sold it for $2,100.

I now drive a 2001 Lexus LS 430. Note the same year. I paid $5,400 for the car. The Lexus had about 20k less miles but still north of 100k miles.

The Lexus LS 430 is so much more fun to drive I giggle like a high school teenager with a new drivers license each time I drive it.

Maybe it was the vast valley of difference in ride, comfort and smoothness.

The 2001 to 2006 LS 430 is arguably one of the best vehicles made and they can be had for peanuts.

Just an idea. I've been in Echo land and enjoyed it, but my step up in cars with very little additional cash was an eye opener. :)

I drove a 2001 Toyota Echo when I could afford much nicer cars. It is dependable and utilitarian. I sold it for $2,100.

I now drive a 2001 Lexus LS 430. Note the same year. I paid $5,400 for the car. The Lexus had about 20k less miles but still north of 100k miles.

The Lexus LS 430 is so much more fun to drive I giggle like a high school teenager with a new drivers license each time I drive it.

Maybe it was the vast valley of difference in ride, comfort and smoothness.

The 2001 to 2006 LS 430 is arguably one of the best vehicles made and they can be had for peanuts.

Just an idea. I've been in Echo land and enjoyed it, but my step up in cars with very little additional cash was an eye opener. :)

And safety. A head on between the 2 and I know who the winner will be.

And safety. A head on between the 2 and I know who the winner will be.

Yes. Definitely. I started thinking about safety much more when our oldest kid started driving.

Another factor was nobody but me liked to ride in the Echo. The other 4 (females) in the family hated the car. The kids thought the crank windows were funny.

I had read good things about the gas mileage and reliability. Those were both true. But ride, creaks, groans, road noise and safety are way below par.

I look back at it like spending a couple years tenting. Checked the box. :greetings10:

I buy new decent but not outstanding cars and then drive them into the ground.
I purchased a 1999 Camry XLE and drove it until 2015 and replaced it when it had
almost 325,000 on it (I actually still own it). I replaced it with a new Camry XLE
and I hope this one lasts as long. I want a car that is safe and comfortable, but
I don't care if it gets a bit ratty looking over time.

I give you credit for having the right attitude. I've always lived a bit on the frugal side with cars being my guilty pleasure. Nothing crazy but always a new sedan (Buick Lacrosse) on a two year lease. As I get very close to retirement, I'm grappling with the realization that I should downgrade significantly but don't really want to. Moving down it a lot harder than it was to move up. Good for ya!

In last 3 years, I've become accustomed to/dependent on rear cameras & blind spot detection. Now they are musts.

An elderly relative wanted to get rid of her 8-10 year old Toyota Corolla that had less than 15K miles on it. I really wanted that car despite it being a standard (not really an issue for me) with crank windows and no key fob. Think of all the money I would save. But I lost out to the grandchildren.

I plan to downgrade from my BMW to a Subaru. Not thrilled about it but don't want to spend the money for a new BMW although the Subaru is not that cheap either.

BMW to Subaru doesn't seem required. Then, I'm not a Subaru fan.

I would find another BMW (or Lexus, Audi, etc) with less miles for the same amount of money you would spend on a Subby. :)

OP is one distracted driver away from death in that ancient (safety-wise) car. And I say that as the owner of an ancient 2001 Sebring convertible that I just can't get rid of since I only drive it about 25 miles a week or so.

I volunteer with a guy that got T-boned on driver side in a late-model Prius by a teen in a truck - they had to cut him out of the car and all he had was a broken pelvis. In my car or yours we'd be dead.

We're both penny-wise and safety-foolish IMO.

Last edited:
OP is one distracted driver away from death in that ancient (safety-wise) car. And I say that as the owner of an ancient 2001 Sebring convertible that I just can't get rid of since I only drive it about 25 miles a week or so.

I volunteer with a guy that got T-boned on driver side in a late-model Prius by a teen in a truck - they had to cut him out of the car and all he had was a broken pelvis. In my car or yours we'd be dead.

I have seen this happen many times, I agree with you 100 %

Kind of funny , you can find the old Lincoln Town Cars , Crown Vic's or Mercurys out there for pennies .

These cars tend to be purchased new by people who maintain them properly and usually in good shape .

Not good gas mileage but sure do ride great . big American build cars

In last 3 years, I've become accustomed to/dependent on rear cameras & blind spot detection. Now they are musts.

Got that right! Bought a "new" car this year for hubby and those features saved our butt on vacation. Never knew how valuable they are. He was backing out of a space at a restaurant and twice it beeped because someone was driving by (that he did not see). I have a 2005 I am happy with, but very jealous of the capabilities of his car. :blush:

Kind of funny , you can find the old Lincoln Town Cars , Crown Vic's or Mercurys out there for pennies .

These cars tend to be purchased new by people who maintain them properly and usually in good shape .

Not good gas mileage but sure do ride great . big American build cars

I recently bought a used 2016 Ram 1500. I love that thing...rides better than my car, feel safe in it, super comfy. Terrible gas mileage, so it's not my main drive.

The absolutely last thing I would think of when choosing a car, now that I am retired, is what other people would think of it. I don't give a hoot if someone thinks I can afford to rent a place, either. Seriously, who ARE these people to feel they have the right to judge me and my choice of vehicle? Gee. :nonono: They should go get a life. Luckily I don't know anybody like that.

To me, reliability is the most important factor when buying a car. I do not want to spend my precious retirement time dealing with a broken car, repairs, and so on.

The absolutely last thing I would think of when choosing a car, now that I am retired, is what other people would think of it. I don't give a hoot if someone thinks I can afford to rent a place, either. Seriously, who ARE these people to feel they have the right to judge me and my choice of vehicle? Gee. :nonono: They should go get a life. Luckily I don't know anybody like that.
+1
To me, reliability is the most important factor when buying a car. I do not want to spend my precious retirement time dealing with a broken car, repairs, and so on.
+1

My experience has been the opposite. People who have flashy cars are often short on rent.

Only risk is that is an old car.

haha....those misconceptions...

Attachments

• P1010034.jpg
    P1010034.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 20

No doubt. Moat of my driving is done on 2 lane roads and I would say that every time I am out and about, at least one oncoming car will cross the centerline. I use my horn...a lot.

No way I would run around in a car without the safety features in newer cars.

Back
Top Bottom