Vehicle Insurance jumped nearly 30% since moving to FLA

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
Since moving to FLA, I've watched my auto insurance rates jump by nearly 30%.

Though GEICO, I am now charged, every 6 months, for a 2013 Toyota RAV 4:

$230 for 300K/300K bodily injury
$53 for 50K property damage
$26 for 10K medical payments
$74 for personal injury
$321 for 300K/300K uninsured motorist
$23 for comprehensive (excluding collision) $200 ded
$65 for collision - $250 ded
$6 for emergency road service
$9 for rental reimbursement ($30 per day, $900 max)

so altogether, about $800 or $1,600 per year

The only redundancy I see here is the $6 emergency road service (I have AAA)

If you don't mind sharing, how does this compare to where you are and what you pay?
I've been with GEICO for quite some time without any accidents. I guess it's time to shop around.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Those numbers can't be compared unless we at least know the models and ages of your vehicles.

Since moving to FLA, I've watched my auto insurance rates jump by nearly 30%.....

Well, that is where Florida Man lives, so the risk is of course higher.

$74 for personal injury

If you don't mind sharing, how does this compare to where you are and what you pay?
I've been with GEICO for quite some time without any accidents. I guess it's time to shop around.

Thank you.

I found Geico to be the most expensive. Someone has to pay for the Gecko.

I have a new car 2020 VW Tiguan and it is $340 every 6 months all in with high liability for umbrella coverage compatibility from Progressive. NE Florida.

Does anyone have recommendations for price shopping? would you go to an agent or a website or what are people doing these days to compare? Thanks

Does anyone have recommendations for price shopping? would you go to an agent or a website or what are people doing these days to compare? Thanks

I go through a local agent. Easier and she shops around. If you are in Florida, I do not think it matters if you live close, they do all over the state I think.

$74 for personal injury

Thank you.

I am in Connecticut and am insured by USAA. I have been with them for 40 years.

For my 2018 Subaru Forester, which I would guess is roughly equivalent to your RAV-4, I pay the following every six months:

$158 for 500K/1M bodily injury
$68 for 100K property damage
$16 for 500K/1M uninsured motorist
$20 for comprehensive (excluding collision) $1000 ded
$97 for collision - $1000 ded
-------
$360 total

I don't carry emergency road service, because we have AAA, don't have rental coverage because we have three cars for two people, and don't carry medical payments coverage because we have excellent health insurance. I have a $1000 deductible on collision and comprehensive because I can easily cough up $1k if necessary and it reduces the premium a lot.

Since it is a mutual insurance company, USAA also gives me a rebate every November or December, if they don't have a large loss year. I don't know precisely how it's calculated, but it usually amounts to several hundred dollars.

In general, if you want lower premiums, don't carry coverage for things that are otherwise covered (like roadside assistance if you have AAA, as you identified) or for things that you can easily pay for yourself. Carry a high deductible on collision and comprehensive; in many cases, if the other guy is clearly at fault, you'll get your deductible back from his insurer (as happened when my wife was sideswiped this year) A $200 deductible seems way too low.

But, most of all, I view insurance as mostly there to protect my assets from lawsuits. Replacing or repairing my car is the least of my concerns. If I should total one of them, I could easily write a check to buy a new one without blinking. I wouldn't be happy about it, of course, but that's one of the reasons I have saved all this money.

Last edited:
Insurance agent here. One of my clients, a couple in their early 60's, just insured their 2013 Nissan Xterra in Vero Beach with Progressive as follows:

$207 for 250K/500K bodily injury
$141 for 100K property damage
$5 for .5K medical payments
$74 for personal injury
$72 for 250K/500K uninsured motorist (Unstacked)
$23 for comprehensive $500 ded
$86 for collision - $500 ded
$10 for rental reimbursement ($40 per day, 30 days)

$606 Total each half with the pay in full discount. No multi car discount.

Comparing this to yours, here's my two cents:

Your premiums are all in line except for the uninsured motorists. That $321 looks way out of whack. Check if you have stacked limits. Stacking means that your available UM coverage limit is stacked according the other number of vehicles that you insure. Unstacked limits will cost considerably less.

You get the best deal by paying your premium in full and higher deductibles will not result in meaningful savings, though they should be no less than $500.

Your $50,000 property damage is way too low. Increase that. Better yet, you should have a personal umbrella for sleep-at-night asset protection.

.......The only redundancy I see here is the $6 emergency road service (I have AAA)........
Start by dumping AAA. It was great back before there were smart phones. I have the $6 road service from Amica and it has a 24 hour 1-800 number to call and $100 toward towing or a jump, etc. Beyond, that I'd just pay the charge from all the money I saved dumping AAA.

I dumped GEICO a long time ago after getting a 50% increase for the same car, same location, and no accidents/tickets, been happy with Progressive since. Heard a lot of good things about Amica but their latest quote was over 3X what I'm currently paying.

I find that Geico and Progressive to be the 2 most expensive insurers. I would recommend that you check out Costco's insurance. I have not checked it out myself as we just moved from AAA to Travelers and I want to wait for 3 years before shopping again.

Start by raising the deductible to at least $500.

$230 for 300K/300K bodily injury $36 2009 tacoma $29 2015 outback (100k/300k)$65 total
$53 for 50K property damage $46.5 for 100k tacoma $42 subaru outback $88.5 total
$26 for 10K medical payments $7.50 tacoma ($5k) $11 subaru outback. $18.5 total
$74 for personal injury. none
$321 for 300K/300K uninsured motorist $11.50 tacoma $13 subaru outback (100k/300k) $24.50 total
$23 for comprehensive (excluding collision) $200 ded $36 500 ded 2009 tacoma. $11 camper 250 ded 2014 aliner camper $68 500 ded 2015 subaru outback $115 total
$65 for collision - $250 ded $49 2009 toyota tacoma 500 ded. $12 250 ded aliner camper. $67.5 500 ded 2015 subaru outback $128.5 total

$6 for emergency road service $3.50 tacoma $7 outback $10.5 total

$9 for rental reimbursement ($30 per day, $900 max) $0 tacoma $23 subaru outback ($45/day $1350 total)$23 total
better car replacement $19.5 2015 subaru outback $19.5 total

Thank you.
I put all my vehicles in colored text above. My total for 2 autos and a small camper are $489/6 months or $978 for the year. 2009 Toyota Tacoma, 2015 Subaru Outback limited and an ALiner classic camper.
My coverages on your expensive items are less (usually 100k/300k) than yours by alot and this is for 3 vehicles! My insurance is thru Liberty Mutual and has been for the last several years.

Start by raising the deductible to at least $500.

+1

We have 3 cars (2 2011 Toyotas and 2017 Kia), our last bill was $906 for 6 months for all three. On all vehicles we have a $1K deductible for comprehensive and a $2K deductible for collision. We can afford that, and figure that given the age of the 2011s an expensive collision bill would likely result in GECIO declaring the car totaled (almost had that happen with our 2011 Corolla that repair shop gave a $6K estimate for non-structural damage but we were able to get it repaired by a friend with skills for $1400).

I have a great broker, she figures it our for me and checks the competition every renewal period without even asking.

Too lazy to root into the files, but we pay $3,400 annually for $1mm umbrella that's about 200, house that I think is about 1600. That leaves 1600 for the cars a year. 1,000 deductible and max on the limits per the umbrella requirements, collision, everything we need. That's for a 2015 BMW 435 and 2020 Porsche Cayenne S. We're in NC. IIRC our insurance dropped dramatically when we left FL. We have (had) Metlife but that's been sent to Farmers. Hoping to not see much rate change. They did just spot us a $13k roof. In the 8-10 years we had Metlife there was little if any increases annually as opposed to other carriers we had. Seemed like whoever you bundled with they'd jack up one of the segments consistently until you couldn't take it any more and shop around.

Just paid my insurance. It was $565 (6 months) for a 2012 Nissan Altima and a 2020 Lexus RX350. $250 deductible.

We are with AAA, and have condo insurance with them, as well, so we do get discounts for multi car, multi-policy, member, original owner and verified mileage. I also noticed that the price difference between the 2 cars is only $50.

We do pay another $100 +/- a year for membership.

We have GEICO and live in Florida.

I discussed the startling price jump with a GEICO agent.

The agent noted that Florida is a heavily populated state, and becomes even worse during winter due to all the snowbirds and visitors. Although we thought traffic was bad in Maryland (and it was), the agent said our area in MD was considered far less risky than almost anywhere along the Florida east coast.

It also doesn't help that it's more difficult to get a "home and car" insurance discount in Florida. In Maryland, we got such a discount with GEICO, because they partner with Travelers for home insurance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom