Vitamin D might help

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting hypothesis. Anecdotally, I noticed that here in San Diego, many fewer homeless people contracted COVID-19 than might have been expected, and all that I can imagine they had in their favor was sufficient sun exposure.

My unproven , untested lame theory is that they smoke more , more sun and have also have a lower BMI :).

Just tossing in the nicotine theory that is floating out there in case folks had not seen it ... I realize smoking may actually cause it more than help so a bit of tongue in cheek

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/nicotine-replacement-therapy/

“Nicotine may bind with the ACE2 receptor, particularly in people with COVID-19, and thus could interfere with further SARS-CoV-2-ACE2 binding (pre-print in silico study)
Nicotine and cigarette smoke decrease levels of ACE2 in multiple organs
Cytokine storms could be prevented or suppressed by nicotine through its impact on the cholinergic anti-inflammatory system; nicotine may inhibit hyperinflammation and platelet reactivity“

Out in the FLA sun everyday, so no need for supplements here. Vitamin D exchange for larger chance of skin cancer. Hmmm

You might be surprised and still should have it checked.

Yup I get more FL sun than I should, but I'm low for D on my blood tests without a supplement.

You need upwards of 5000 IU/day (from sun, food and supplements) to maintain a healthy Vitamin D status (25-hydroxy test). While the 1000 IU/day is helping, you should really get tested (if you haven't) to see how much it is helping. Labcorp and other labs usually show a reference range from around 20-100 ng/mL. However, if you're near 20 you are serverely deficient. Those ranges typically show 2 standard deviations of all people tested, and you know the bottom of that range are not people in good health. A good target is at least 50 ng/mL.

I get tested for a couple things every 6 months. the 1000 IU supplement had me passing the test.

You might be surprised and still should have it checked.

My vitamin levels are checked naturally as part of the 2x physical and no issues here. Actually my levels have gone up some since living in Florida.

Chances are, your D level is low if you don't supplement. Of course the prudent thing is to test. It's cheap, and in most states, you can get a LabCorp PDF on the Internet, print it out, and get a blood draw (no doctor visit). But even I couldn't get tested, I'd take 1000 IU. Very low risk and somewhat likely advantage.

I think the standard range for low Vitamin D is too low. Some say 20 to 50 ng/ml is suffocation. But I have read that 45ng/ml should be the minimum, and that 60-75 is closer to optimal.

One article I read about Vitamin D3 blood levels and Covid-19 complications was indicating people with levels 50ng/ml and below were having trouble. 50ng is generally considered a sufficient level!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom