VWINX drop 3.54%

ducky911

Recycles dryer sheets
Happens every year must be yearly dividend or something. gave me a scare at first.

Whoa! One of my MFs goes ex-dividend today, and drops 23%. This is an active fund that has 71% portfolio annual turnover, so realizes a lot of cap gains.

I have had this fund for a long time, and am reluctant to sell it because of my own cap gains. It beat the S&P up to 2008, but since then just tracked it.

Last edited:
Whoa! One of my MFs goes ex-dividend today, and drops 23%. This is an active fund that has 71% portfolio annual turnover, so realizes a lot of cap gains.

I have had this fund for a long time, and am reluctant to sell it because of my own cap gains. It beat the S&P up to 2008, but since then just tracked it.

If they are giving such big cap gains, you might not have much left over... check out your basis, you might be surprised...

It's true that I have been paying some taxes all along for the gain.

However, they do not always have big payouts like this, plus I have had some of these MFs for 25 years.

It's true that I have been paying some taxes all along for the gain.

However, they do not always have big payouts like this, plus I have had some of these MFs for 25 years.

My mom has had one for over 30 years.... I had Fidelity go back and figure out the basis... I was pretty surprised how little gain was there....

IOW, unless the fund is an index or a 'tax advantaged' one like an index and hold stocks for many many years, the gains have to be realized over time...

Back
Top Bottom