Waiting period for 401k

JohnDoe

Recycles dryer sheets
Why do companies have 401k plans that have 1 year waiting periods for new employees. That is way to long to wait.

That's not a very good selling point for a company looking for talent.

JD

I haven't heard about one of those recently. I know long waiting periods used to be more common but the more recent trend were improving. All based on my own anecdotal observations.

I agree with your point though!

As ChadR pointed out the trend is for shorter waits. Unfortunately it is very hard to change a plan once the rules are established so for companies with longstanding 401 plans they may be stuck.

DD

A few years ago I was hired by an employer with a six month waiting period on their 401k. When we negotiated for compensation, I asked to have the waiting period waived. They did it and it wasn't really a big deal. I still wasn't eligible for the 401k match for a year, but at least I could get the tax benefits. This was a small 70 person company.

I assume the waiting period is to simplify things in the case of a bad hire.

I had to wait over 6 months to contribute to the TSP when I first worked for the federal government. They no longer require that waiting period, though, AFAIK.

The thought on the waiting period deals with administrative costs for high turnover positions and the "testing" that is done with ERISA plans (x # of eligible rank and file employees need to contribute).

A lot of the folks that wash out in the first few months probably won't be the type that contribute to a 401(k) and thus they can cause headaches.

As far as this issue is concerned, remember that everything has a price...including not being eligible for benefits and/or 401(k). It's like I used to say..."if you increase my income, you can keep your insurance and 401k."

I always thought companies could make exceptions but I guess not.

The job offer was declined anyway.

We required a year but they hired one man who wanted in sooner so they changed the plan. Then he quit after a couple of months. I can see the reason to wait so you don't have to set someone up for a dozen paydays then they quit and you have to distribute the money. We have 13 people who could be in the plan but only 7 contribute. I was maxing mine a few years but last year and this year cut back a little. Now two others are maxing the plan I think they felt bad when they saw me do it on half their income.

I once worked in a small revolving door kinda place where the owner adjusted the waiting period based on his opinion of the employees most recently hired. That is a good place to be from.

Back
Top Bottom