We Did It!

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yesterday marked one week since my wife officially retired from her job. Our first week flew by quickly, and we're still trying to adjust to the realization that we're not just on vacation. So far, other than healthcare hurdles, everything has gone smoothly. We find that we're sleeping till 7am or so, waking up when we want, but also staying up an hour or two later in the evening. I think my wife is still trying to develop a new routine, but that will come in time.

I joined this forum in 2016 and retirement seemed so far away. Now we're here and it seems like time passed so quickly.

I can already tell I need to keep an eye on our spending, as I keep finding things we can do together now that work isn't getting in the way. None are very expensive, but I can see them adding up quickly if I don't pay attention. Freedom is just so darn exciting. :)

I also need to learn to plan vacations differently now. I've always tried to cram as many activities as I can into the few days we had off work, but that isn't needed anymore. I already planned a road trip for July that I wish I had allowed more time in some areas. Everything is already reserved for this trip, but I will likely plan future trips differently.

We're still retirement newbies, but it will be fun to see how the coming months and years change. One week in and we're loving it!

Congratulations!
Yes, time does go by very quickly. And it is so nice when travel can be done more leisurely, and no rush to get back for that Monday morning! :)

Retirement travel was a wonderful change for us.

We migrated to longer trips, 7-9 weeks, spontaneous travel, and to carry on only. Big change from my previously well organized and frequent business and vacation travel.

Enjoy your retirement...make the very best of it that you can while you have good health.

Congrats!. One year into retirement for me

It isn't about finding a purpose. It is about having the freedom to do what you want and a pace that is more relaxing

Congratulations!

Don't splurge on big ticket items (without giving it a lot of thought), but don't hold back on small expenses that make you happy/satisfied/engaged/etc either. After all, you didn't ER to sit at home!

At the end of the year you can look back and see what your ER annual budget should be. If it is too high, you can make an educated decision on where you need to cut.

Congratulations Mountainsoft! Enjoy your time…it will go by way too fast. Unless you are WAY overspending don’t stress over a bit extra to do the things you want to do. Time goes by too quickly.

Congrats. Lots of fun things to do now that don't cost lots of money and the time to enjoy them.

Congratulations! It's a wonderful time. :D

Enjoy your time each and every day. Like you said goes by fast.

Unless you are WAY overspending don’t stress over a bit extra to do the things you want to do. Time goes by too quickly.

We went hiking a few days ago and rented some electric bikes (very fun by the way). $100 for the two bikes, $150 in wine tastings and bottles, $250 for the hotel, $100 for dinner, $50 for breakfast, $50 for lunch, and that's just an overnight trip an hour from home. :)

They're not daily expenses, of course, but it's amazing how fast it adds up.

Congratulations! I find the travel forum here to be quite helpful in planning!

Congratulations! Enjoy!!

Congratulations!! [emoji898][emoji324][emoji323][emoji322]

Congratulations and DO keep us up to date on how things go. We love to hear success stories. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom