We just Returned from a 9-day Cruise and were somewhat disappointed.

Sure they are way more expensive, we get it, but many of us absolutely will not take a large ship cruise.
I completely understand... but is it kinda unfair to compare the two... like comparing McDonalds to a good restaurant... both feed you, but one is better but costs are a lot more...

I have never done the expensive cruises but my oldest sister has... she is of the opinion that the cost is not worth the trip..

BTW, I put in a bid for a suite on this cruise and told my DW I did not want to since if we get it that will establish the floor for us going forward...
:2funny:

I completely understand... but is it kinda unfair to compare the two... like comparing McDonalds to a good restaurant... both feed you, but one is better but costs are a lot more...

I have never done the expensive cruises but my oldest sister has... she is of the opinion that the cost is not worth the trip..

BTW, I put in a bid for a suite on this cruise and told my DW I did not want to since if we get it that will establish the floor for us going forward...
:2funny:
Have booked a junior suite once. Usually we go for the balcony, no suite.

Have booked a junior suite once. Usually we go for the balcony, no suite.
We have a restricted view balcony as the regular balcony was much higher cost... but they sent a bid option and the mini-suite minimum bid was not that much more than the regular balcony... SOOOO, here is hoping for the upgrade...

We have a restricted view balcony as the regular balcony was much higher cost... but they sent a bid option and the mini-suite minimum bid was not that much more than the regular balcony... SOOOO, here is hoping for the upgrade...

Good luck! Let us know if you win.

YEA.... we did win... so a min-suite it is...

Hope I do not get used to them as the regular cost (meaning the regular discounted cost) was so much higher than what we are paying...
Excellent to hear.

YEA.... we did win... so a min-suite it is...

Hope I do not get used to them as the regular cost (meaning the regular discounted cost) was so much higher than what we are paying...

That's great news, you both should really enjoy it!

Oh, this is timely. I'm going on my first cruise, with my sister, in a few weeks.

I am 69 and she is 72. At this age we are appreciating being siblings who get along well enough and that we should do things together while we can.

My sister and her husband have taken many cruises with many different cruise lines. They take three or four cruises a year. They have done all the Caribbean places, Panama and Central and South America, the Mediterranean, Norway and Iceland and Alaska. Probably a few more than I can remember. They used to do a regular balcony stateroom and have moved up to suites, and now they only cruise in the top tier "ship within a ship" thing like the Haven on Norwegian. Or they go on more upscale lines like Oceania.

On arriving home from their last one in March my brother-in-law (77) fell on the jetway leaving the airplane. He went down hard and broke his shoulder. Emergency Room, surgery a few days later, moved to a rehab for a few weeks and then home with a hospital bed in the living room. He's recovering slowly but coming along and gaining his independence.

But my sister needs a break. So she asked if I wanted to do a trip together. We've done sister trips before and always enjoyed it. They have a timeshare that they never use in a system where they trade points and places so we've taken trips from her timeshare system. So we considered doing that again. We would have to fly somewhere, rent a car, shop for groceries, cook and cleanup.

So she suggested a cruise because they do all the cooking and clean up and she loves her cruising! So I said ok, even though the idea of vacationing with 4,000 other people makes me cringe. I'm just up for doing something different and this will certainly be different for me!

She lives her life through her travel credit card and has a long relationship with her travel agent so I let her arrange everything and then we split the cost.

The cruise is 1 week to Bermuda on the Norwegian Joy. We got a Club Balcony Suite with a larger balcony. Two excursions booked. Lots to see on the ship and about 4,000 other people (eeeekk!). My sister is a people person and I am not. She loves to talk to everybody and what do they talk about? Their CRUISES!

I've been watching YouTube videos about the Joy. Looks like a good time if I can deal with the numbers of people. At least I know I won't be the oldest/grayest/slowest/dumpyest/most clueless person around.

As our mother used to say, "It takes all kinds."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom