Wedding gift for brother who has everything

HarveyS

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am looking for wisdom from the community.
My younger brother is getting married for the first time at age 55. Wife to be is 49. Both have excellent careers, a nice home with all the latest gadgets, etc.
My older brother and I are trying to come up with wedding gift ideas. Not having much luck, I am seeking your ideas. Budget for the gift or gifts is up to $5000. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

If they have "everything",
something they like that is consumable.
Agree. A bottle or case of really nice wine, or a top of the line liquor they might not buy for themselves, at least not regularly. A really nice restaurant meal, or gourmet cook to come cook for them or for a small dinner party (maybe with you and your brother and spouses?) at their house, including clean up. Some activity they might like, such as driving some exotic cars, or hot air ballooning, something like that.

Cash

If you are contemplating getting something expensive like that, why take a chance based on what you think they'd enjoy or asking total strangers for ideas? You're admitting you really have no idea. Give them cash or a Visa/MC/Amex gift card for the amount, and be assured they'll use it for things they truly want/need.

What do they like to do? What sorts of things do they enjoy? With a budget that large you could gift them some wonderful experiences. Get them a box at their local theatre company or symphony. A VIP membership to the art museum. Cooking classes with a celebrity chef. Season tickets to their favorite sports team. A luxury getaway. The possibilities are endless but only you know what they would actually like and appreciate.

I think maybe a really nice bottle of champagne with the cash.

And, if they don't have a good retirement strategy, give them the url of this forum!

-BB

When one of my sisters married for the first time at age 52, we game them money + "experience" gift cards - both like to bowl so gift cards to their local bowling lane. I think cash and something associated with a hobby/entertainment they both enjoy would be fine.

Does he have a cool video of all the fun you had growing up? You could have it professionally made using pictures or video. Add interviews with his teachers, coaches and friends from your days together. I bet he doesn’t have that.

Are they going somewhere for a honeymoon? Maybe pay for some experiences there.
Season tickets to symphony, local museums, or something they are interested in.
The above may be difficult with the current virus situation, though.

Donation to their favorite charity?

Your relationship may not be the same. My wife's younger brother gave us a very nice photo album embossed on the front with "My First Wedding."

We just celebrated our 37th Anniversary. He's married, divorced and re-married since our wedding. I asked him if he needed the album back! :LOL:

Do they WANT anything? When I married for the second time at age 50, DH and I both owned homes and were doing just fine, including travel. And travel, BTW, isn't everyone's ideal gift, so the OP needs to take into account what his brother and his fiancee would enjoy.

DH and I told our guests to make donations to their favorite charity.

How about a bottle of vintage wine or port from the year the bride was born. This is something they can keep and enjoy together in the future.

I agree with others, something consumable. We have both received and given bottles of wine that will be best consumed in 5, 10, 15 years out. Something to drink for your future anniversaries.

Some kind of experience. A balloon ride during the festival in Albuquerque? A flying lesson or lessons at the local airport? A private guided city tour someplace of interest to them? Montreal, Quebec City, London Lots of options, too, at https://www.roadscholar.org/ although I don’t see gift cards on the site I'd be surprised if they couldn't accommodate you. https://www.roadscholar.org/find-an...e-American-Diplomacy-With-the-Foreign-Service is an interesting one. https://www.roadscholar.org/find-an...-Mexico-A-Culinary-Adventure-in-Oaxaca-Puebla is another. We have taken prior versions of both.

How about a bottle of vintage wine or port from the year the bride was born. This is something they can keep and enjoy together in the future.

And if you use this idea and choose port as the gift, you can point out that the bottle was produced when Portugal was still governed under a dictatorship! (Although this may make the bride feel old...)

How about Louis the 8th Cognac for about $3,800? Even if they don't drink it, one can use it for a nice decoration.

How about Louis the 8th Cognac for about $3,800? Even if they don't drink it, one can use it for a nice decoration.

I think you mean Louis XIII. I have had some of that over the years and it is definitely the best liquor I have ever had. And you can sell the empty bottle for $400.

22520.jpg

I assume they are going on a honeymoon, I think a nice contribution toward that, or something experience-wise on the honeymoon, would be a good choice. They certainly don't need any house stuff.

I’m surprised they haven’t registered for gifts. Most people do, and now one can even register for vacation funds and other experiences.

I’d get a gift certificate for a lovely B & B as well as a restaurant or two at the same destination.
There are some lovely ones near us in Napa or Sonoma that run $500 per night. Obviously depends on where they live, but many areas of the country have something within 4 hours that could be a great long weekend getaway.

Back
Top Bottom