Wellington & Wellesley...

SoReady

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,

In exploring options to simplify I'm considering W&W. This may be a good option for me in my Vanguard holdings, but I was wondering if anyone knows of something comparable in the Fidelity funds?

Nothing truly comparable, which is why they are so popular.

But you can cobble together something along the same lines, such as with a combination of ETFs.

There really isn't anything that has what some people believe is a special formula for active funds that consistently has good returns with less risk.

The funds are however not very tax efficient so they are less popular by many in taxable accounts.

This would be in my retirement accounts. I'll look into the underlying investments in W&W and explore if cobbling something together can work.
Thanks.

Fidelity has 2 funds that are 60/40 allocations. Both similar, but some slight differences between those. They are Puritan FPURX, and Balanced FBALX. If my memory is right, Wellesley is the 60/40 Vanguard fund.
I am not aware of any Fidelity 40/60 allocation fund that would be similar to Wellington. Or vice-versa if I have the Vanguard fund names mixed up.

FPURX is a solid 5 star fund. I have owned it for years. That is a good 60/40 fund.

I made my own "sort of equivalent" using a blend of 40% SPY, 30% VCIT, and 30% VCSH. It outperformed VWIAX most of the time.

Fidelity has 2 funds that are 60/40 allocations. Both similar, but some slight differences between those. They are Puritan FPURX, and Balanced FBALX. If my memory is right, Wellesley is the 60/40 Vanguard fund.
I am not aware of any Fidelity 40/60 allocation fund that would be similar to Wellington. Or vice-versa if I have the Vanguard fund names mixed up.

Yes, you mixed them up. Wellington is 60/40, Wellesley is 40/60.

Thanks.

I've been investigating too. Seems to me Fido's Balanced fund (FBALX) or Puriton fund (FPURX) could be comparable to Wellington.

I'm still looking/struggling to find a comparable fund or funds in Fidelity for Wellesley.

I have a big chunk of my $$ in both W&W and PUR and BAL. All of them have performed as expected.

I made my own "sort of equivalent" using a blend of 40% SPY, 30% VCIT, and 30% VCSH. It outperformed VWIAX most of the time.

Wow! Portfolio Visualizer shows your blend is almost a clone of Wellesley, from 2010 to 2020, with annual rebalancing. :bow:

PS. The above comment was made in terms of performance over the above 10-year period. When I look closer, Wellesley has a lower standard deviation, meaning lower short-term fluctuations. For practical considerations, the two are the same.

Last edited:
There really isn't anything that has what some people believe is a special formula for active funds that consistently has good returns with less risk.

The funds are however not very tax efficient so they are less popular by many in taxable accounts.

I had a lot of Wellesley Fund in my taxable account for pre retirement fund withdrawals. Then after a few years of owning it and doing taxes I moved a big chunk of it to one of Vanguards tax efficient index funds.

Back
Top Bottom