Wharton: "Giving Employees What They Want: The Returns Are Huge "

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Here's stunning news, unless you happen to be in General Motors' management-- happy employees do better work.

"... far too many managers stifle employee enthusiasm across the board by using bureaucratic or punitive techniques that should be reserved for a troublesome few. Yet [author Sirota] finds that firms where employee morale is high -- such as Intuit and Barron's -- tend to outperform competitors. The authors' research is based on the results of 2.5 million employee surveys taken since 1994."

Judging from their stock performance and their customer service, I think he needs to take another look at Intuit!

Hey, thanks for the information! I live in Philly, and I didn't even know that Wharton offers such a wealth of information for free. :)

BTW, I wish I can afford to take two years off to go to Wharton, but Philly is a very expensive city to live in, and Wharton's tuition is heart-stoppingly expensive, but you do get what you pay for though. The facilities are first rate. The study rooms for business students are better than the meeting rooms at my workplace.

Their degree is 'bankable'. Borrow the $ if necessary. Anyone who can get in and graduate should have a very good return on their education costs.

My colleague took two years off to get his MBA from U of Michigan. He said that the return on investment was great.

Go to Costco and talk to employee, then do the same at Sams Club. Costco is one of the most employee friendly companies, while Sams, as part of walmart, allegedly gets about the worst.

Never worked at either or known anyone that worked at either.

My impression of the Costco employee is that they seem to be reasonable people with a brain in their head that try to be as helpful as possible. My impression of the Sams employee is a marginally employable person who couldnt give a #$%$#$.

I have a nephew who works at a Costco tire shop, he sings their praises and loves to give world class customer service. Their employee training program is outstanding.

Contrast that with the employee relations practices of rail roads (BN. SP are brother and cousin's former employers) where employees and managers play head games with each other and customer service happens only in the course of other events.

() said:
Go to Costco and talk to employee, then do the same at Sams Club. Costco is one of the most employee friendly companies, while Sams, as part of walmart, allegedly gets about the worst.

Never worked at either or known anyone that worked at either.

My impression of the Costco employee is that they seem to be reasonable people with a brain in their head that try to be as helpful as possible. My impression of the Sams employee is a marginally employable person who couldnt give a #$%$#$.

I got the same impression. People at Costco seems nicer. I also like Costco's store layout. Its isles are wider than those of Sam's club.

Only thing Sams has over Costco is that Sams sells their own returns and closeouts; Costco sells theirs for salvage. I get a lot of good Sams Club closeout deals. This week they have fresh turkeys for 38c a lb and very nice 1lb boxed chocolates for $4.50 a pop.

If they put any more televisions on closeout i'm gonna go broke though.

Brat said:
Their degree is 'bankable'. Borrow the $ if necessary. Anyone who can get in and graduate should have a very good return on their education costs.

The thing is I already have an M.S. from the University of Michigan. I don't want to go back and do the same thing again 10 years later. :)

Back
Top Bottom