What a silly article

I don't get it. If you find it is a silly article, why share it?

To discuss. I am not the ultimate arbiter - others may find something useful, or they may split off into other subtopics, such as the one above re: AI. Others are discussing interesting points re: HCOL areas. Is there anything in any of the messages above that you'd like to discuss?

Didn't even click on it. There is so much noise out there. See it everywhere with the proliferation of 24/7 news and social media.

Anything financial is mostly garbage. And now all these economists tweeting as well? It's like people have no shame. As it's been said, it's about clicks and likes and comments

While I don't want to discount human writer's abilities or lack thereof, does anyone else get a vague whiff of artificial intelligence from the article?

Yes!

I've been noticed that a LOT just this past month.

Well, if this is the best AI can do, I guess we don't have to worry about it taking over the world.:facepalm:

Of course. But who puts it under the mattress?

I use to... Wife started complaining about the lumpy mattress...
Came home to a new mattress and no money.
now I hide it in her cookbooks

The article covers how long $1 million in retirement savings lasts in every state—and where it runs out the fastest.

That makes it more of a cost of living story.

If nothing else, the article gives you a general idea of which states are more expensive, and which are cheaper to live in. It's something akin to the EPA window sticker on your new car. One car might be rated 30 combined, another might only be rated 20. You may or may not get those same results, but there's still a pretty good chance that you'll still spend less money with the 30 mpg car than the 20. As the old saying goes, YMMV.

Of course, another problem with articles like this is that they often use state averages for their financial numbers. And costs most likely will vary widely, depending on where in the state you choose to live.

Well, if this is the best AI can do, I guess we don't have to worry about it taking over the world.:facepalm:

An AI would've done a better job, I suspect.

The article covers how long $1 million in retirement savings lasts in every state—and where it runs out the fastest.

By state is pretty useless. I live in Central NY State. The City skews all data.

Even in my county things change by Town and School District. Just turned 65 and found out my school, village and town taxes don’t consider IRA withdrawls for tax relief but the county taxes do. So I qualify for major property tax relief as a senior citizen. Property taxes as a percentage of value are very high here.

-----
If nothing else, the article gives you a general idea of which states are more expensive, and which are cheaper to live in.
Actually, it's not even good for that, but you answered that partially yourself.
Of course, another problem with articles like this is that they often use state averages for their financial numbers. And costs most likely will vary widely, depending on where in the state you choose to live.
And then you can control your own costs of living in many ways as was mentioned earlier. Plus also as mentioned, it doesn't even specify if it was for a couple as pictured or individuals and left out inflation. It felt like a total waste of time reading it, but I get that from a lot of these types of articles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom