What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

So here it is, 5 and a half months later, and my water heater cratered. It started slowly dumping water but none got on the oak laminate floor, it's all in the laundry room so far. I called the plumbers and got an answering service who says they'll call back, and after two hours they still haven't. Frank turned off the water to it and drained the water in it out to the back patio plus he has kept the water on the floor from getting to the living room for now by using my many bath towels like sandbags.

What a crummy, rotten, terrible, stinkin' Monday! On the one hand, I'll be glad to get rid of the old water heater. But on the other hand I truly detest having repairmen in my house. Not sure why but I do. My house is a mess. I put my lunch in the frig because I am too upset to eat.

Also this is not going to be cheap. The last water heater I had replaced was in my previous house, probably 15-20 years ago, and cost $698. Frank says the last one he bought cost over $1,500 and that's been a few years.

So that's what I am doing today. :banghead: I'll feel better once this is taken care of and paid for, which will probably take days, forever or until the end of time, with my luck.

Look at it this way, it will probably be the last water heater you will ever need to replace.:LOL:

Look at it this way, it will probably be the last water heater you will ever need to replace.:LOL:

So true! Ah, the advantages of old age. :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I already have a new roof, and a fairly new HVAC system, so with a new water heater I should be in pretty good shape to face the next, more final parts of life. :D

I put a battery leak alarm in that tray too, then if you are home no harm.
Saturday night we had a stray dog get in the yard and try desperately to join our pack, but he was not going to let us get near. We were "two legs BAD".
I got ours in the house and gave up after a few attempts to lure him in with food.
He lurked in our yard and alarm barked half the night, poor little fella. Not much sleep to be had :(
I took our little blind one out at 4 am to go potty and he whined and cried a little at our partition fence. I tried coaxing him a bit, put the dogs in and then hand fed him a few kibbles. I had him now :)
I left him outside but called him to the back door for a couple of kibbles a few times to lock things in, and then when the household was up I got hands on, and brought him in to the sink. He was looking rough and itching so I bathed him with dawn dish soap. It kills adult fleas pretty effectively. I rinsed a couple dozen fleas off him.
Doctor D came in and did a quick assessment. He peed in the house and he had bloody urine so most likely a UTI.
Doctor D happened to have a course of proper antibiotics in the fridge, and we gave him a nexguard oral flea treatment that will kill fleas within 24 hours.
His urine is already looking clear, we trimmed his nails and took him to the vet to scan for chips. I have posted all over looking for his owners. No luck yet, but I think we have concluded he was either dumped or unwanted.
PXL-20230820-153248655-2.jpg

He is about 12 pounds and 3~5 years old at first guesses, and not neutered. He is in love with the old man JRT and just wants to hump him all the time. The old dog is too nice to really dial him in about it, and too old.

Saturday night we had a stray dog get in the yard and try desperately to join our pack, but he was not going to let us get near. We were "two legs BAD".
I got ours in the house and gave up after a few attempts to lure him in with food.
He lurked in our yard and alarm barked half the night, poor little fella. Not much sleep to be had :(
I took our little blind one out at 4 am to go potty and he whined and cried a little at our partition fence. I tried coaxing him a bit, put the dogs in and then hand fed him a few kibbles. I had him now :)
I left him outside but called him to the back door for a couple of kibbles a few times to lock things in, and then when the household was up I got hands on, and brought him in to the sink. He was looking rough and itching so I bathed him with dawn dish soap. It kills adult fleas pretty effectively. I rinsed a couple dozen fleas off him.
Doctor D came in and did a quick assessment. He peed in the house and he had bloody urine so most likely a UTI.
Doctor D happened to have a course of proper antibiotics in the fridge, and we gave him a nexguard oral flea treatment that will kill fleas within 24 hours.
His urine is already looking clear, we trimmed his nails and took him to the vet to scan for chips. I have posted all over looking for his owners. No luck yet, but I think we have concluded he was either dumped or unwanted.

He is about 12 pounds and 3~5 years old at first guesses, and not neutered. He is in love with the old man JRT and just wants to hump him all the time. The old dog is too nice to really dial him in about it, and too old.

He's a beauty. I love that face!

My little guy (terrier mix) was found on I-45 north side of Houston on the roadside. He weighed in at 7 pounds at the time and his ribs were showing. Eight years later, he is now 15 pounds and my best friend. Someone dumped him too.

W2R: I hate having workmen in our house also. I was so glad when our house remodel was finished and said that I will never have it done again.

Skyking1 and Aja8888: You are both really good people. I don't know how people can be so cruel. He is such a cute dog.

Reactions: W2R
I had a dentist appointment to fix my broken two front teeth. They weren't noticeable or painful but bothered me as there was something behind them that broke off when I took a nap without my nightgaurd and it was sharp.

So my new dentist decided to fix them but good and took material off from my bottom teeth to fix my bite better and make it look better. The problem is I'm a heavy grinder and shouldn't have anything removed from my teeth as I removed enough, and eventually, you find nerve.

As he's finishing up, I asked about my nightgaurd fitting? Oh no, it will need to be adjusted. Only there's nothing to adjust as it needs replaced. Of course, it doesn't fit, and in another 3 weeks, they'll have one for me.

We already have a new dentist to see for our next appointments.

Morning kayaking, bit of ripples on the lake, then hang out at camp and admire the scenry.

So here it is, 5 and a half months later, and my water heater cratered. It started slowly dumping water but none got on the oak laminate floor, it's all in the laundry room so far. I called the plumbers and got an answering service who says they'll call back, and after two hours they still haven't. Frank turned off the water to it and drained the water in it out to the back patio plus he has kept the water on the floor from getting to the living room for now by using my many bath towels like sandbags.

What a crummy, rotten, terrible, stinkin' Monday! On the one hand, I'll be glad to get rid of the old water heater. But on the other hand I truly detest having repairmen in my house. Not sure why but I do. My house is a mess. I put my lunch in the frig because I am too upset to eat.

Also this is not going to be cheap. The last water heater I had replaced was in my previous house, probably 15-20 years ago, and cost $698. Frank says the last one he bought cost over $1,500 and that's been a few years.

So that's what I am doing today. :banghead: I'll feel better once this is taken care of and paid for, which will probably take days, forever or until the end of time, with my luck.

So, the plumbers will be putting in a brand new 40 gallon water heater tomorrow, raised up with the pan underneath as suggested by freedomatlast, with drainage to the outside, plus they will be fixing various stuff in my laundry room such as my gas dryer connections so that it is up to code. The price for all of this is high ($3900) but they will do it tomorrow, and because I know their work I know they will do a top notch job. An experienced Master Plumber will be in charge and watching over everything that is done. Might as well pay it and have it done right (and right away).

Blow That Dough. Good thing I don't travel! I can regard this as my version of a trip to Europe (since I don't like to travel).

DW brought home some fortune cookies, and I opened one. The message said "You could make a name for yourself in the field of medicine".

Okay, I'm 73 years old, I'm fully Retired with a capital "R" and I never once gave a thought to going to medical school. So my interpretation of this fortune is that I'm gonna die of some new disease that no one ever heard of and has no idea of how to treat. The name of the disease will be "Walt34 syndrome" and that will be my contribution to medical science.

So, the plumbers will be putting in a brand new 40 gallon water heater tomorrow, raised up with the pan underneath as suggested by freedomatlast, with drainage to the outside, plus they will be fixing various stuff in my laundry room such as my gas dryer connections so that it is up to code. The price for all of this is high ($3900) but they will do it tomorrow, and because I know their work I know they will do a top notch job. An experienced Master Plumber will be in charge and watching over everything that is done. Might as well pay it and have it done right (and right away).

Blow That Dough. Good thing I don't travel! I can regard this as my version of a trip to Europe (since I don't like to travel).

All done! I have a brand new 40 gallon natural gas GE water heater now, with pan underneath, and my laundry room is up to code. I'm waiting for a while before using any hot water, to give the water a chance to heat up. $3913.33 is enough to make one's eyes water, for sure. Still, the old water heater lasted 16 years so this one should last a while too.

DW brought home some fortune cookies, and I opened one. The message said "You could make a name for yourself in the field of medicine".

Okay, I'm 73 years old, I'm fully Retired with a capital "R" and I never once gave a thought to going to medical school. So my interpretation of this fortune is that I'm gonna die of some new disease that no one ever heard of and has no idea of how to treat. The name of the disease will be "Walt34 syndrome" and that will be my contribution to medical science.

Here's another possible route to medical fame. All that's needed is your DW's permission...

Pig kidney works in a brain-dead man for over a month, a step toward animal-human transplants

Or maybe you'll outlive Jeanne Calment.

... The last water heater I had replaced was in my previous house, probably 15-20 years ago, and cost $698...

I still remember that time. You were still working, and complained about not having hot showers.

Dang! Is my memory just good, or is it superior as I often suspect? :D

So, the plumbers will be putting in a brand new 40 gallon water heater tomorrow, raised up with the pan underneath as suggested by freedomatlast, with drainage to the outside, plus they will be fixing various stuff in my laundry room such as my gas dryer connections so that it is up to code. The price for all of this is high ($3900) but they will do it tomorrow, and because I know their work I know they will do a top notch job...

$3900? Yikes!

Stuck in a campground in a very rural area of south central Illinois, waiting on a vehicle part after truck broke down . Could be worse but definitely could be better. Have made friends with a neighbor. We don’t have much in common, but he is good people and has made a difficult situation better. I’m going to be here awhile. #supplychain.

Today Dr D had a training session for one of the companies he does vaccine clinics for. Guess who went along as the training subject?
He got poked and prodded and got all his shots and tested for heartworm, dewormed, all on the company nickel.
Nobody has stepped up for him, so we are making an appointment for getting him neutered. This morning when he was reunited with the old man, they had a proper scrabble without the humping behavior.
Just now he crawled in bed with him for the first time.
1000045749-jpg.jpg

Today Dr D had a training session for one of the companies he does vaccine clinics for. Guess who went along as the training subject?
He got poked and prodded and got all his shots and tested for heartworm, dewormed, all on the company nickel.
Nobody has stepped up for him, so we are making an appointment for getting him neutered. This morning when he was reunited with the old man, they had a proper scrabble without the humping behavior.
Just now he crawled in bed with him for the first time.
1000045749-jpg.jpg

All I can say is, that is one smart (and lucky) puppy!! He knew EXACTLY whose yard to take up residence in. :D

Got a phone call from my DD yesterday around lunch. She had just got back home from DR. office and found that her dog had eaten a bunch of grapes. She was in a panic because supposedly grapes can do damage to a dogs kidneys and even kill them. She had already given him something to make him thro up but was needing help to get him to the emergency vet clinic in case he threw up more in car. Any way Daddy to the rescue. He is a aussiedoodle around 45 lbs. and thinks he is a lap dog. We got him bundled into the car and headed 20 miles to the vets office. When we got there after the wait for the Dr. she finally got in to see him. Vet checked him out and told her she should take him on to Chattanooga to the emergency clinic there because they had equiptment to do more tests on his blood and other things. So we bundled him up again and headed out for the 45 min trip there. After waiting there to see that vet they finally got him back ran their tests, gave her some charcol to mix into his food and told her to watch him closely for 48 hours and bring him back if any signs of distress. We got back home and she dropped me off at 9:30 last evening. An exhausting day that was stressful but hopefully we averted disaster. I love grapes but had never heard that they were danger to dogs. Never to old to learn stuff I guess.

Went to my urologist yesterday for a cytoscopy. You may remember I had 6 weeks worth of BCG immunothearpy for a low grade bladder cancer a few weeks ago. Anyway the scope went well and it looks like the drug did its job. I will go back for another scope in 3 months and if all is good I will then go to 6 month intervals. All along the Dr said I would probably need maintenance treatments for a year or two but yesterday he said I may not need them now. Yea! Looking good as of now.

Today I will have lunch with a buddy. Might even splurge and have dessert.

Went to my urologist yesterday for a cytoscopy. You may remember I had 6 weeks worth of BCG immunothearpy for a low grade bladder cancer a few weeks ago. Anyway the scope went well and it looks like the drug did its job. I will go back for another scope in 3 months and if all is good I will then go to 6 month intervals. All along the Dr said I would probably need maintenance treatments for a year or two but yesterday he said I may not need them now. Yea! Looking good as of now.

Today I will have lunch with a buddy. Might even splurge and have dessert.

Very good news

Back
Top Bottom