What is a good site for UK politics viewable from the US?

PaunchyPirate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
NOTE: Please refrain from political commentary, please.

For better or worse, I like to read what's going on in the UK political news. I previously found the BBC site adequate, but in the US site (which I'm forced to use unless I were to start using a VPN), they removed direct links to the politics sub-site and once I manually navigate to it, it doesn't seem to be as rich in political content as it was previously. The BBC app on my iPad has become even worse. I removed it from my iPad because I found the contents to be of zero interest to me. I get it that Americans are not their target market and I'm aware of the license fees system that is used in the UK, but I do wish they didn't do this to us poor Americans.

I'd prefer to stay away from a site that significantly slants one way or the other in term of bias. I'd just like good political journalism if it's possible.

Any tips on websites to try out?

Not much help, I have a subscription to The Economist for 35= years, it i a subscripion but atricles can be found in internet searches. The Financial Times can be better but costs a good bit more.
You could just go with The Sun page 3 and not worry about politics

FT has very good reporting and analysis. It’s customizable, but also subscription.

I read the Guardian now and then. It's got a little more slant to one side than I prefer.

Ha! The understatement of the year.

I read the BBC US edition which I find to be pretty good, but I can understand the OP's dilemma. The BBC seems slightly biased depending on whichever party is in power. In other words, the BBC seems to take an antagonistic approach to whomever is in power.

Last edited:
It's quite a bit easier to filter news when you actually live in the country. I have a lot of family in the UK and like to follow what's going on there. I just read a little bit of everything and filter what I can.

It's quite a bit easier to filter news when you actually live in the country. I have a lot of family in the UK and like to follow what's going on there. I just read a little bit of everything and filter what I can.

This is what I've been doing lately too. I'll just ignore what I don't want to read about, I guess.

The Guardian and The Telegraph are biased on opposite sides of the political spectrum, so reading both and splitting the difference should help. I tend to avoid opinion pieces, as the bias is often off the charts - or at least, I take them with a grain of salt. The BBC is fairly close to unbiased.

My favorite way of keeping up with current events in the UK though, is not by reading their news publications, but by watching Have I Got News For you, a current affairs-based panel show. Ian Hislop, one of the permanent team leaders, is the long-time editor of the satirical magazine "Private Eye" and the other team leader, Paul Merton, a well-known comic. The host and other two team members change on a weekly basis, and consist of politicians, journalists, musicians, and other public figures and entertainers. It's my favorite British TV show and a fun, light-hearted way for me to keep in touch with the various goings-on in Old Blighty.

Last edited:
Need to bring back John Craven's Newsround!

The Guardian and The Telegraph are biased on opposite sides of the political spectrum, so reading both and splitting the difference should help. I tend to avoid opinion pieces, as the bias is often off the charts - or at least, I take them with a grain of salt. The BBC is fairly close to unbiased.

My favorite way of keeping up with current events in the UK though, is not by reading their news publications, but by watching Have I Got News For you, a current affairs-based panel show. Ian Hislop, one of the permanent team leaders, is the long-time editor of the satirical magazine "Private Eye" and the other team leader, Paul Merton, a well-known comic. The host and other two team members change on a weekly basis, and consist of politicians, journalists, musicians, and other public figures and entertainers. It's my favorite British TV show and a fun, light-hearted way for me to keep in touch with the various goings-on in Old Blighty.

How do you access Have I Got News for You in the US?

Need to bring back John Craven's Newsround!
My niece was on a TV show hosted by John a few years ago. I think it was the short-lived "Beat The Brain".

How do you access Have I Got News for You in the US?

I watch it on YouTube. The best channel I have found so far for this, is one called ViVaHD. They have a lot of old episodes that, surprisingly, don't seem to get taken down. I'm guessing that the BBC don't bother enforcing their copyright due to the time-sensitive nature of the show. Perhaps they consider that the show loses it's value to viewers quite swiftly. Season 66 just finished. Season 67 won't begin until April. If you haven't watched it for a while though, the recent episodes are still quite timely. This is the last episode in the most recent series (ignoring the Christmas "Best of" compilation episode), from just a few weeks ago -

Throughout the years, there have been some classic episodes, including the one in which William Shatner was the host. It was almost other-worldly, seeing him host such a quintessential British show -

Last edited:
I watch it on YouTube. The best channel I have found so far for this, is one called ViVaHD.

OK, thanks. I had found it on that channel. I was wondering if there was something more timely. I'll still check it out though. It sounds like something I would like. Thanks again.

I tend to read BBC and the Guardian. Once in a while the DailyMail.

As an expat, I read the Guardian, the BBC and the Times of London almost daily. The Guardian is pretty left wing, the BBC is middle of the road and the TOL leans rightward. I prefer the Guardian for sport and the TOL for much of the rest. I really like the travel section in the TOL - it gives DW and me lots of great ideas. The downside to the TOL is the subscription but I'm happy to pay to keep good news sources afloat.

Back
Top Bottom