What temperature is too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A brief report on the normal range of forehead temperature as determined by noncontact, handheld, infrared thermometer.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Noncontact forehead temperature measurement by handheld infrared thermometer was used as a screening tool for fever. However, the accuracy data and normal range of forehead temperature determined by this method were not available.
METHODS:

The temperature readings from 3 handheld infrared thermometers were validated against an electronic thermometer. Normal range of forehead temperature was determined by measuring the forehead temperature in 1000 apparently healthy subjects.
RESULTS:

Significant differences were detected in readings obtained by the 3 different handheld infrared thermometers (analysis of covariance, P < .001) The most accurate one was chosen, and the normal range of forehead temperature in 1000 subjects detected by this method was 31.0 degrees C to 35.6 degrees C.
CONCLUSIONS:

Our study shows that commercially available, handheld infrared thermometers require individual validation. Forehead temperature in excess of 35.6 degrees C is suggestive of fever. Further studies are required to confirm accuracy of this value in detecting fever.

Full text at:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15877017

I’m not reassured by taking customers temps either. Screens some infected (Covid-19 or otherwise illness) but certainly not all.

I’m also not likely to take a restaurants word the table, chairs, menu, etc. were sanitized after the previous diners. I’d rather witness it being done as we’re seated. They can clear after diners, but hold off on sanitizing. YMMV

Temps alone is not enough. For businesses to re-open social distancing needs to continue as much as practical and PPE needs to be used by staff at least, if not customers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom