What to do with old cotton sheets and towels

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I feel guilty throwing them in the garbage. I googled recycling them and you really can't. Even 100% white cotton has some additives. So how to reuse? I'm cutting up the towels, easy to make rags for cleaning. But the sheets and mattress covers I store in the closet. New sheets are so inexpensive, I don't think I can donate them. Any ideas?

I feel guilty throwing them in the garbage. I googled recycling them and you really can't. Even 100% white cotton has some additives. So how to reuse? I'm cutting up the towels, easy to make rags for cleaning. But the sheets and mattress covers I store in the closet. New sheets are so inexpensive, I don't think I can donate them. Any ideas?

The young wife, who sews quite a bit, often uses old cotton sheets where one might otherwise use muslin. At the beginning of the pandemic, she also used some for making face masks. I have used them for drop cloths when painting the walls and put them over furniture as a dust cover when sanding the floor.

The young wife, who sews quite a bit, often uses old cotton sheets where one might otherwise use muslin. At the beginning of the pandemic, she also used some for making face masks. I have used them for drop cloths when painting the walls and put them over furniture as a dust cover when sanding the floor.
One of the sheets is really thick cotton and I cut it up to make a 3 layer mask, but that only goes so far. Your other ideas are great.

Your local SPCA or humane society might have a use for old sheets or towels.

You can make paper from rags. It is true!

Mine get cut up for the rag bag. Sometimes it’s good to have a few old sheets around to wrap or protect items, too.

If you have enough cleaning rags - please do donate them to a shelter. Many vet offices have bins or will collect for shelters/foster groups. If you have a Petco/Petsmart in your area, some of those have foster groups that may be able to take them for you or give you an idea of where to drop them.

Your local SPCA or humane society might have a use for old sheets or towels.

This is what I do with mine. Your local animal shelter will be delighted to have a stack of any size towels and blankets in any condition. They also like old shopping bags or tote bags.

Send them to me! I use them as backing for patchwork quilts. Old, worn sheets are the best! :flowers:

I have an old twin fitted sheet covering my table in my screen porch, to try to keep it cleaner. Not sure how well it'll work, but it should keep pollen off.

You could also use a sheet as a picnic or beach blanket. Cover for furniture if you leave the house for an extended time. Use it as a liner for your trunk or back of your van/SUV/hatchback when you have to haul anything messy.

I donated my old sheets and blankets to the local animal shelter as well as to the vets. Those places go through a lot of sheets/linens/blankets. I simply washed and dried my old sheets then bring garbage bags full of them to the shelters/vets.

Our local animal shelter was in need of sheets and towels. So that is where we took ours a few months ago. I usually gave to Goodwill but now that I know the animal shelters need these things, I’ll donate to them.

Cut them up, and save them as backup for the next TP or PT shortage.

I put them in the drop box at the local animal shelter. I cut out the elastic from any fitted sheets before donating them.

Shelters love anything washable - they do a ton of laundry.

I use them as frost protection for my plants for the few days a year we might have to worry about that.
Works fine thrown over tropical plants in their first year which need a little help surviving until they are strong enough next year.

Back
Top Bottom