What's going on with vitamins?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
There wasn't a multivitamin to be found at BJs when we were there.

I ordered Equate multivitamins from Walmart.com. Got an email "due to high demand, your order has been delayed."

Are vitamins the latest quack nostrum for COVID-19, the way heartburn medicine was last month?

I guess I was lucky. On July 7th, I ordered 100 chewable Centrum adult multivitamins from Amazon. They charge me the same price I paid for them in February, and I got them on July 9th, two days after my order.

Just now I went to Amazon to look at those vitamins and the price is sky high. I don't know what is going on! Hopefully it is just a temporary problem.

Here's a guess. Maybe the MATH+ protocol is redirecting basic vitamin elements to critical care. Perhaps these may be used as part of the multi-vitamin manufacturing process? Total guess. Much like they said we couldn't get bottles of hand sanitizer early on because all the plastic bottle material was being used for other more critical needs.

Another guess, and more likely... Some whacky "influencer" spread some (mis)information about multivitamins that went viral and they all got sucked up. I guess "quack nostrum" is a better description of this. :)

For the record, we bought a men's multi Equate brand from Wal-Mart pickup 3 weeks ago with no issues.

Last edited:
And don't get me started on vitaminized toilet paper. :eek:

Costco has plenty, in-store and on website.

Standard prepper item. Not sure about your food supply? Take vitamins to help fill any holes.

It is possible this is a supply chain issue as well.

Another site I visit has been talking about vitamins and a shortage of them. It's due to a few things, but the main reason is that many ingredients come from China, and they either aren't shipping them (keeping them for their own citizens), or we aren't/weren't accepting shipments from China, leading to a delay in restocking. This is also why there is a shortage of many of our Rx meds.

There are many sites where specific vitamin supplements are discussed to help in preventing/fighting off COVID, so those are also in short supply.

They certainly had lots of multivitamins this week at the Costco where we shop. No shortages that I could see. Sale items piled sky high at the end of each shelving row. Their house brand and some brand names.

Last edited:
They certainly had lots of multivitamins this week at the Costco where we shop. No shortages that I could see. Sale items piled sky high at the end of each shelving row. Their house brand and some brand names.

Those supplements are one of their biggest sellers.

I've been told by reasonably knowledgeable sources that the source materials practically all come from China and perhaps those factories had reduced production in the past many months?

Maybe medical authorities finally convinced the government to put their foot down to step in and stop the production and distribution of harmful substances...

Nah just fooling.;)

Maybe medical authorities finally convinced the government to put their foot down to step in and stop the production and distribution of harmful substances...

Nah just fooling.;)
Ground up melamine never hurt anyone.

Ground up melamine never hurt anyone.

At 67% nitrogen content, it may help with digestion or weight loss. :LOL:

However: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine
Melamine is sometimes illegally added to food products in order to increase the apparent protein content.[4] Ingestion of melamine may lead to reproductive damage, or bladder or kidney stones, and bladder cancer. It is also an irritant when inhaled or in contact with the skin or eyes.

There wasn't a multivitamin to be found at BJs when we were there.

I ordered Equate multivitamins from Walmart.com. Got an email "due to high demand, your order has been delayed."

Are vitamins the latest quack nostrum for COVID-19, the way heartburn medicine was last month?[/QUOT

https://www.evms.edu/covid-19/covid_care_for_clinicians/#covidcare

I needed to replace a bottle of zinc that was getting low and after getting shut down online had to stop at two drugstores! Somewhat defeated the purpose of trying to minimize in store shopping.

We had a hard time finding Zinc but today scored some at GNC. They told me that they get like 4 bottles at a time and they sell out immediately.

I don't consider Dr. Roger Seheult of MedCram a quack; and have incorporated his routine.

The demand for vitamins and supplements has been high since around early March, when the coronavirus stuff started to make the headlines in a big way. There are quite a few studies/articles about which supplements help strengthen the immune system, and thus (theoretically, at least) may make you less vulnerable to COVID-19, or at least better able to fight it off without having to be hospitalized. It's a safe bet that lots of folks read those articles, and started buying more supplements than they had in the past. The supplements mentioned most often (for boosting immune function) in the studies I've read are Vitamin C, Vitamin D, zinc and selenium, so those things have been selling out like crazy, in addition to multivitamins. I have not had a problem finding the supplements I usually take at some of the online sites, like IHerb, and Vitacost. There might be some slight delays in getting your order filled, but they seem to have a good supply of most things in stock.

I don't consider Dr. Roger Seheult of MedCram a quack; and have incorporated his routine.

Thanks for posting this, I found it to be interesting and informative. His protocol is based on studies he has reviewed, and it sounds quite reasonable to me. It is also consistent with many of the studies and articles I have reviewed. I actually take many of the same supplements he recommends. And as he says, if you can get an adequate amount of some of these things through diet (like Vitamin C), then by all means you should. His protocol is low-risk, and may provide some degree of protection. I don't think I will follow his "contrast temperature shower"
routine, though. Maybe I would if I were working at a hospital daily, as he is, but I have far less contact with people on a daily basis than he does.

I do not know much about this Dr, but I have been taking C, D, Zinc, and NAC for a while as advocated by Will Brink. He is not a Dr, but a heath and fitness researcher. I just wish my sleep was better as that is another important component of maintaining a healthy immune system.

Back
Top Bottom