What's Wrong w/ Loose Handle on Kitchen Faucet

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is a single handle Price Pfister kitchen faucet. The handle starts to get loose within a day or so of when the allen screw inside is snugged up. The faucet works fine......it doesn't shut itself off. Just that the handle gets loose.
I know that nut/bolts can work themselves loose w/ repeated vibration
(like the tail light assy on our Camry) but the faucet handle getting loose seems to happen so rapidly.

It may be that the setscrew threads in the handle are damaged or worn. Try removing the handle and screw and cleaning both the screw and threads in the handle. If they look damaged or feel 'loose' when engaged, Internet! A number of sites sell replacement handles with setscrews.

If the threads are OK, a small tube of the blue thread lock compound applied to the setscrew could work wonders here. Use the purple 222 or blue 'Locktite threadlocker', not the extremely permanent red stuff. Purple is intended for small screws and is easy to break loose. Blue is a medium strength and is really for larger screws, but you can get away with a small dab on a setscrew with threads in good condition. Red is for stuff you don't mind drilling out later...

Worst case, try a dab of nail polish on the screw.

I believe PF has a lifetime warranty on parts, find their customer service number. Take a picture of it on your phone if you have one, or use a friend's phone, call the number, send the picture to customer service, and they will send a replacement part pronto. Have done this numerous times for self, relatives and tenants.

I was amazed that when my Moen crapped out (internals rusted) I called and without any receipt or anything, they sent me a new one! Hopefully PF will be as good for you!

Thanks all for the sage advice. Yes, PPf has been quite good over the yrs w/ providing free cartridges which is good bc they have been needed quite often.
In recent yrs, tho , they have added a charge for "shipping" which is probably still less than buying the part, I suppose. This is the first time that this particular problem has popped up...........perhaps it might be related to all
the gunk that was there when I removed the handle to replace the first cartridge.......I didn't recall damage to handle threads or that of set screw after I cleaned them at the time but perhaps there was some chemical reaction that
changed their dimensions. PPf is sending a free handle/setscrew/tab cover
which hopefully will be the cure.

I had this issue, it was the little metal cage the screw pressed against inside the lever. It wore out.
I got a replacement handle, but it was never quite right, in the end I replaced the entire thing.
Unfortunately I didn't think to ask for free parts replacement.

While we're on the subject... I had paid for about 10 Moen cartridges in my life. Then a Home Depot clerk told me he got all his free just by calling Moen! Since then I have gotten 3 free Moen cartridges, with free shipping, :) but they acted like they were doing me a favor on the last one...

+1 on calling for free warranty parts or a new faucet.

I bought a low end Home Depot brand faucet ("Glacier Bay" brand). The diverter valve that sends water to the sprayer malfunctioned. I called Home depot, they sent me to the mfr and a new part was on its way for free, no receipt required.

Once I got the part installed, the O rings had dried out and the faucet leaked from the base, so I ordered the "spout seal kit" with extra O rings for free again.

A few years later, the diverter valve died again, and I got another free part. It's 10 minutes on the phone and 10-15 minutes of actual work to replace it. And $100 cheaper than calling a plumber.

Definitely call for warranty parts before paying for them!

Here's another one..........a yr or so ago, our Toto toilet started getting a bit harder to flush. I ignored it for awhile until it got quite bad. I then ordered a replacement part (the handle and attached lever arm) from Amazon. When it arrived I wasn't quite sure which way the nut in the toilet was supposed to be turned to loosen and remove the part since the instructions from the internet and the replacement part seemed to conflict. I called Toto to confirm and the rep offered a free replacement part. I hope never to have to replace the existing part but ,if I do, hope I can find the part when I need it.

Back
Top Bottom