when to sign up for social security

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
my wife becomes eligible for social security this december. in what month should she apply to start recieving benefits in december? thought some of you might know this and would like to apply in a timely fashion. thanks

frank

Frank, she should apply as soon as SS will accept her request, which I believe is three months prior to her eligibility date. As to when she will get her first check, there are a number of factors revolving around the day of the month on which her birthday falls. And then there is this:
an individual who has filed an application for Social Security retirement benefits will receive a retirement benefit check in the month following their month of entitlement (defined as a month in which an individual meets the minimum age requirement to qualify for retirement benefits and has filed an application to receive retirement benefits). In other words, social security pays a month behind. So, for example, a benefit to which an individual is entitled for the month of january will actually be paid in the following month of february.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO START RECEIVING SOCIAL SECURITY RETIREMENT BENEFITS AFTER I APPLY FOR THEM ?

As an example, my birthday is in early December. I applied in September and didn't get my first check until mid-February.

Frank, she should apply as soon as SS will accept her request, which I believe is three months prior to her eligibility date. As to when she will get her first check, there are a number of factors revolving around the day of the month on which her birthday falls. And then there is this:
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO START RECEIVING SOCIAL SECURITY RETIREMENT BENEFITS AFTER I APPLY FOR THEM ?

As an example, my birthday is in early December. I applied in September and didn't get my first check until mid-February.

I was born on the 3rd of June. So I become eligible July 1st and they
said I should get a check around August 17th. If I was a little early like
may 31st I would of got it 7/17.

I visited my local SS office earlier this month. Surprisingly there was only one person in the line and I got to the window in just a few minutes.

She told me that she could start the application process for me but she recommended using the online website as it was much faster (at 6 weeks) to complete the process. I assume she meant 6 weeks just to get the application approved, not to the first payment.

I filed online 2/6 received my notice of award on 2/15. I have a march birthday, and benefits began in April, first check mid-May. Hope this is helpful.

I turned 62 in Dec. signed up online in Oct. seems your birthdate determines which Wednesday of the month you will get your direct deposit. I can tell you the 11th makes it the 3rd Wed. got my first pymnt 3rd Wed Feb

heyyy-joe how do I check to see if she would be better off to claim on my record? any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom