When you are feeling "under the weather"

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm on a second day of feeling very slightly headachy, achy, and stomachachy, along with that tired feeling. I don't feel sick, in fact, the weather was nice enough that I headed out for a birding walk at a nearby park. No congestion or sore throat.

But I don't understand what it is when you are feeling only the slightest bit sick. Is your body "fighting off" a bug? Is that even a thing?

If I were still working, I would have gone to work today (and I was not one of those people who came in when sick.) But, would that have been the right choice?

Anyway, I'm just curious about whether there's even a physiological cause when you are feeling "under the weather" or it's just poor sleep or something similar. Do any of you ever get very slightly ill, and do you let it affect your activities? Should I treat it just like being sick, or ignore it? (I have a strong feeling it will be gone tomorrow).

Before COVID, I'd blow if off and just rest a bit that day. In this post COVID world, I'd be a bit more careful and maybe use one of my COVID home test kits. If negative, I'd go back to my resting a bit more routine. If I started feeling worse I'd retest/re-evaluate and maybe even call my doctor after a day or so. Depends on how bad it got.

Last edited:
Nowadays if I have more than two Covid symptoms and I am going somewhere, I take a test. So far all have been negative!

But I don't understand what it is when you are feeling only the slightest bit sick. Is your body "fighting off" a bug? Is that even a thing?

YES!! I think it is. If I push myself too hard at times like that, it seems to me that I'm likely to come down with a cold.

Do any of you ever get very slightly ill, and do you let it affect your activities? Should I treat it just like being sick, or ignore it? (I have a strong feeling it will be gone tomorrow).

I dunno. I try to take it easy to some extent until it is gone, especially if there is nothing urgent that I need to do.

Usually I feel grumpy/irritated for a good 12 hours before I realize I am coming down with something. It is kind of weird really but its like it takes me awhile to realize I am getting sick.

I think your body is trying to fight off a virus. Since Covid I take a test so as not to spread it.

I'm on a second day of feeling very slightly headachy, achy, and stomachachy, along with that tired feeling. I don't feel sick, in fact, the weather was nice enough that I headed out for a birding walk at a nearby park. No congestion or sore throat.

If I were still working, I would have gone to work today (and I was not one of those people who came in when sick.) But, would that have been the right choice?

Anyway, I'm just curious about whether there's even a physiological cause when you are feeling "under the weather" or it's just poor sleep or something similar. Do any of you ever get very slightly ill, and do you let it affect your activities? Should I treat it just like being sick, or ignore it? (I have a strong feeling it will be gone tomorrow).

No. You should take a Covid test.

Before COVID, I'd blow if off and just rest a bit that day. In this post COVID world, I'd be a bit more careful and maybe use one of my COVID home test kits. If negative, I'd go back to my resting a bit more routine. If I started feeling worse I'd retest/re-evaluate and maybe even call my doctor after a day or so. Depends on how bad it got.

This.
I know my body well. I am generally healthy, but do know I feel nauseous if I am overtired, I get a headache if I overuse my eyes from too much reading, and have chronic allergies/rhinitis. So if I have any symptoms that I can not relate to those, I rest, stay away from others, and of course, now do Covid tests.

Agreed on taking a Covid test if I’m having symptoms outside of the normal symptoms I feel due to allergies and my ongoing gastrointestinal issues.
I also blame what I’ve been eating a lot. Not sure if it’s accurate but that’s what I do.

I normally try to listen to my body and would rest until feeling better. I would nap if I felt tired and try to go to bed a little earlier.

Back
Top Bottom