Where to buy a new Mazda?

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Seems we may be in the market for a new Mazda CX5, and I've heard of people flying to a different state (like Montana?) to buy a new car at a decent discount from their home state. Any dealer suggestions? We are in Oregon right now.

Our 2017 CX5 just lost a contest with a 1996 GMC Sierra. His front bumper might be bent a tad and his LF fender is a bit dented and wearing a lot of white paint. Our RR end is just blasted apart. Whole bunch of plastic bumper cover and wheel well plastic and tail light exploded and some sheet metal got tweaked. Pretty soft crash, we were stopped waiting to turn left and he failed to avoid us while going past. ahem.

Poor little feller - felt bad for him, as he was pretty shook up. Just back from fighting the Bootleg fire here in Oregon and on his way to Consuela's for some excellent food truck tacos. We didn't call for the cops, so at least he avoids a citation, assuming rear ending someone is citation worthy.

Busy week - the prior Sunday our house in La Quinta flooded. Think I'll hide in bed this coming Sunday. 3s and all.

I would get a dealer list in areas and in states near you.

Decide on exactly what you want. Send an email to several dealerships asking for their best cash price for immediate sale.

Worked for two friends of ours. One got an Infiniti for 3K less than the best local price. Picked it up at a dealer near his mother's home.

Another friend saved the same amount on a Honda Ridgeline. All it took was a three hour bus ride. Dealer picked him up with a coffee in hand and took him to he dealership. Less than an hour later he was on the road driving home. With an extra $3K in his pocket.

My next car will probably be a Mazda CX 5. This is how I will shop/buy it.

Decide on exactly what you want. Send an email to several dealerships asking for their best cash price for immediate sale. Unless their is a financial benefit to dealer financing of some sort.

Worked for two friends of ours. One got an Infiniti for 3K less than the best local price. Picked it up at a dealer near his mother's home.

Another friend saved the same amount on a Honda Ridgeline. All it took was a three hour bus ride. Dealer picked him up with a coffee in hand and took him to he dealership. Less than an hour later he was on the road driving home. With an extra $3K in his pocket.

Good process. I was lazy and didn't do this. Next time though.
We do love our 2019 CX 5, especially the fire red color (600 extra).

Poor little feller - felt bad for him, as he was pretty shook up. Just back from fighting the Bootleg fire here in Oregon and on his way to Consuela's for some excellent food truck tacos. We didn't call for the cops, so at least he avoids a citation, assuming rear ending someone is citation worthy.

Hope your good deed doesn't come back to haunt you. Without a police report it will be his word vs yours when it comes to assigning fault/liability with insurance. The guilty party often tells a very different story when talking to their insurance carrier.

Example: DD#1 was rear-ended while stopped in traffic. The guy who hit her was very remorseful so she got a photo of his driver's license and insurance information but didn't call the cops to get a police report (sound familiar?). He denied to his insurance company that he was involved in the accident, they believed him and refused to pay. With no police report she could do nothing.

If you live in a no-fault state, disregard :).

Make sure whatever you buy meets the 50 state emissions so you can register it in Oregon.

Really liked the CX5, tested a lot of SUVs, ultimately bought a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (which replaced a Liberty, wich replaced an earlier Cherokee...) But I remembered that the CX5 just handled well in town and I loved the red paint.

You can check the inventory levels of any dealer using the internet. Sites like edmunds.com will aggregate multiple dealer inventories for you. The more cars they have in inventory the better your chances of negotiating a good discount.

I would go to your closest Mazda dealer. The one you want to do service work at while under warranty.

Tell them you don't want to fly to Montana to get the "best possible" deal.

You would like to get the "best possible" deal right here.

Now, inventory and chip shortages and such may impart you get the "best possible" deal based on today's metrics, not March 2020.

Good luck on your search.

Decide on exactly what you want. Send an email to several dealerships asking for their best cash price for immediate sale.

When did your friends do this? Everything I read and see tells me this isn't a thing in 2021.

In previous years. Not during covid or during the chip shortage.

We have put off even considering a vehicle buy until next year. No rush for us. This was one of the reasons-less bargaining power.

IF we go CX 5 it will definitely be red. We originally looked at Honda CRV but decided against after speaking to a mechanic friend who works at a Honda dealership. He says the issue with gas getting into the oil has not been resolved-no firm fix.

Despite the current supply situation, there is absolutely no downside to throwing your fishing line out to catch the best response to your tender like purchase request. As another poster said...look for dealers with higher inventory levels or dealers with perhaps lower overhead costs.

In our experience there is little connection between the sales operation and the warranty/service operations in a dealership.

Last edited:
I would go to your closest Mazda dealer. The one you want to do service work at while under warranty.

Tell them you don't want to fly to Montana to get the "best possible" deal.

You would like to get the "best possible" deal right here.

+1

Added to which, I would then go to (or call) several other Mazda dealers in your area and ask for their "best possible" deal. Best to wait until near the end of the month to do this, and wait till one or two days before the EOM to negotiate the final numbers. If you don't get the price you want, rinse and repeat the whole process toward the end of the following month.

Just be aware that it is not unusual to have a number of dealerships owned by the same auto group.

End of month, end of fiscal quarter is a good time to shop. Sales are looking to achieve or overachieve their sales goals or reach manufacturer's dealer incentive levels.

And if you see the 'right' deal for you jump on it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately these are not normal times in the car business. I have no idea whether Mazda dealers are having supply chain issues like so many of the domestic franchised dealers. Our local new car dealers are very large, and they have essentially nothing to sell but used cars. And the used cars are priced far more than they should be pulling in the retail market.

I'd go online and shop the Mazda dealers within 150 miles of where you live. And tell internet sales you're shopping around and will buy from those with the best out of the door price. Don't mention anything about financing or paying cash to the salesman--as that's a different subject.

If buying a vehicle is not a must right now, those that wait until late in 2021 will be rewarded with lower prices and possibly better factory incentive programs.

Check around and use the Costco discount , have seen special discounts on top of your special pricing . I got 1900.00 on a Subaru Crosstrek

Demand exceeds supply at the moment, so great deals are much less likely than typical for now. This is a bad time to buy a car, new or used. Good luck.

We bought a Mazda CX-5 last August @Gladstone Mazda.

I believe you are further down the Willamette Valley than us.
I called several dealerships, none would really deal with me on the phone. They gave me a price and did not want to negotiate.

Surprisingly, I got the best price by mentioning Costco. They agreed to match it.

Good luck

We bought a Mazda CX-5 last August @Gladstone Mazda.

I believe you are further down the Willamette Valley than us.
I called several dealerships, none would really deal with me on the phone. They gave me a price and did not want to negotiate.

Surprisingly, I got the best price by mentioning Costco. They agreed to match it.

Good luck
Might not be true in today's environment, but several of us have gotten dealers to beat the Costco discount by starting with that. Costco discount for me was $3300, I got $4900 off by playing dealers off one another as always. Again I am sure that would not be possible at the moment, but don't necessarily settle for a Costco discount.

Well, if no one is willing to deal over the phone, maybe another tactic is to drop your bottom line on them and see if anyone takes it. Take the Costco price (which is basically a supplier discount) and take $500 off that. Send that out and see if anyone will accept your offer.

Times are strange right now. I got my truck just before the crap hit the fan but even then I basically bought it sight unseen. It was in transit when I committed to it and it came a couple weeks later. I get the GM family discount so there’s no haggling on price. I wait until there are good incentives and combine them with the GM family price and feel like I get a pretty good deal. I’d do everything I could not to try to buy a vehicle right now.

Our 2017 CX5 is in the body shop now - they haven't done a repair quote yet. It just turned 40k and the fuel economy seems to have improved over the last couple tanks. Needs new shoes soon. As I understand it the 2021 CX5 is pretty much identical with 2017 but has a larger screen, Apple airplay, and slightly better noise/vibration damping. I'm tempted by the front wheel drive only vs our current AWD - haven't had need of it and don't like paying extra for more complexity and lower fuel economy. When we bought our current ride the salesman said AWD is all that shipped to the US. Maybe that is true, but we have time and an acceptable ride and can wait up to 3 months. Though we may need to go south into the La Quinta oven to check on our flooded house repairs.

I do have a call in to Ron Tonkin Mazda asking what is possible right now. Waiting seems like it may be smarter - maybe Mazda will come up with a new improved model in 2022 with more self driving aids.

Well, if no one is willing to deal over the phone, maybe another tactic is to drop your bottom line on them and see if anyone takes it. Take the Costco price (which is basically a supplier discount) and take $500 off that. Send that out and see if anyone will accept your offer.

Times are strange right now. I got my truck just before the crap hit the fan but even then I basically bought it sight unseen. It was in transit when I committed to it and it came a couple weeks later. I get the GM family discount so there’s no haggling on price. I wait until there are good incentives and combine them with the GM family price and feel like I get a pretty good deal. I’d do everything I could not to try to buy a vehicle right now.

Absolutely agree with this. Now is not the time to buy a vehicle...new or used.

Try and delay until next year. This is the decision that we arrived at. Unless you are in a corner why buy in a seller's market?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom