Who has no scheduled commitments in retirement?

Absolutely no scheduled commitments since retiring July 5th 2019.

I worked 42 yrs fulltime in health care, weekends and holidays, raised two children and managed to keep our marriage alive.

After rising and breakfast, I take a stroll down our 'lower 40' (our tiny rear yard) to visit my garden, our deck and the birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, deer.
My calendar stays wide open so I can accept anything coming my way. Sunny day 2 mile walk along the lake, lunch with the neighborhood ladies, kayaking, ex coworker gatherings, wine tasting at the clubhouse with DH, friendly poker games.

Most importantly, we join our DS and DIL and our two grands at any time; they are only 5 miles up the road.
We see our disabled adult daughter often to ensure she's safe and happy in her shared home 20 miles away.

I deliberately retired on July 5th, one day after America's birthday.
My personal day of freedom.

No schedules for me either. I was on a few boards when I retired, and I got off them now. When I wake in the morning a schedule my day with what I want to do for the day.

After I retired I immediately agreed to doing volunteer work, joined the HOA Board (ugh) and started part-time contract work.
It has been 4 years now and so far, there has not been a time period where I could say that 100% of my time is my own .. and is free of commitments!
Of course, I am leaving out normal life stuff like healthcare, shopping, home maintenance, etc.
It has not been all bad but, I wonder what life would be like if I could wake up in the morning and have the whole day to myself ... to do what I wanted.
Maybe today I see a friend ... do some gardening ... plan travel .. do day trip ...
Would I be bored to tears? Would that get old, fast? Is that a fantasy? Is that anyway to live?
Sometimes I wonder.

What do you all think? Anyone live like that?
Yes, my husband and I do - except one day a week we pickup our grandkid from school so we spend a few hours with just him.

Nothing on my schedule except pickleball and golf most days. We travel quite a bit too. We also have a close family which gets together almost every week.

We live like "that".

I retired after working in a job that required 7 days per week for about 10 months per year. This was for almost the last 20 year before I retired.
And we had the GD cell phone and laptop that we had to answer round the clock.
This was the job and was my choice - so I can't complain - just the way it was

Once I retired, I have zero desire to do anything like what "A" originally posted about.

I am with ms gamboolgal and we spend time watching our new granddaughter. Or we travel on our own terms.

But, that's just us. What folks do with their retirement is up to them.

Different strokes for different folks and all that....

Retirement is wonderful :dance:

gamboolman....

Same here, but mine is called a Kingdom. :LOL:

No schedule but there are things around the place that need doing.
Yes, I agree. Kingdom sounds like much less work than Empire.

The biggest driver in my choice to retire at 54 was to be in complete in control of what I do every day. When I retired I quit going to the lady who's been cutting my hair for 15+ years because she only does it by appointment. I don't want to maintain a calendar. I also drastically cut back on volunteer work. I still help out a bit on things when I have special skills to offer but on a case by case basis rather than as a regular commitment. My wife is already reserving campsites in Florida for next winter and I hate it. When I travel I like to just go where the weather takes me rather to be stuck somewhere when a cold front or a few days of rain moves in. My wife was a project manager so she has a pathological need to maintain a calendar.

Domain. It can be as big or small a domain as you wish.
Too vast and techy for my liking.

In fact, the kids gave me a nameplate for my office when I retired. BANK OF DAD. I should just stick to small potatoes. Hide from the Regulators and dodge required reports...

I like your 2 hour rule!! I have a similar rule for yard work, but my limit is 4 hours per day. I'll have to reduce mine to 2 hours and cite your rule when I explain my reduction to DW.
Ha! When I first retired, our next door neighbor advised me about his two hour rule. He would come out, jokingly, and tell me when I was in violation! Now we're carrying on the tradition.

I’m somewhat lax about it, but I do maintain a low threshold for work in the yard. Two to three hours is plenty.

Zero except for Ireland, Boston, Victoria, Turkey, Egypt & Jordan, Portugal, Sri Lanka, Borneo, and just booked Greece for May 2025.
Yeah, I feel a bit lost when the number of upcoming trips on my Tripit app dwindles! :) I have 5 right now plus one I haven't input- Vietnam early next year.

From Lewis Clark:
If we choose to live in an HOA or Condo Association, SOMEBODY has to serve on the board.

I think it best if every resident takes a turn, both to share the workload and to help everyone understand how the community works.

Knowing how unrealistic that ideal is, I'd prefer the board have at least a few people with a clue.

I did that for years, till the new President started bending the rules and not holding meetings or sending out minutes. The last straw: someone wanted to put up a vinyl fence. Restrictions said that fences must be wood or ornamental metal. We agreed on a procedure to change the restrictions by vote, I went off on a 3-week trip, came back and found that the vinyl fence was up. Neighbor said the HOA President said it was OK because the Restrictions didn't explicitly prohibit vinyl. We've been advised by multiple attorneys that if you fail to enforce one restriction you've waived your right to enforce any of them. I didn't want to be on the defendant end of a lawsuit so I resigned.

Last edited:
That's why I'm still working at age 64. If I'm going to do something, I'm going to get paid for it. I work from home, so I don't even consider it a job. :)

I'm on two community boards . One is winding down after a fairly intense 5-6 years of meetings and advocacy for the updated community plan (land use and zoning updated). The other is.a two year stint that I'm 4 months in on. Monthly meetings and 2-3 hours of work outside the meetings / month.

I will not be running for a second term on the board.

I look at commitments as falling into 2 categories: those you choose to make, and those that others make for you.

When working, the latter were much more prevalent, and my focus was on trying to fit my life, and the former, about those.

In my retirement, almost all my commitments, as long as I can stay healthy, fall into the former category. Even the commitments others make for me are are almost always because I choose to let them do so. So now I fit any commitments around my life. It is a lot more fun this way. :)

I refused all commitments (except family) for my first 10 years of retirement. Didn't even answer the phone for the first year. Now the only commitment I have is with our volunteer fire dept. at our cabin. It's only 1 day a week for a couple hours. Plus any emergencies we respond to.

The closest thing I get to a timed commitment is when I plan to go to my parents house at a certain pre-planned time to help them with some house work they can't do on their own. That is it. Maybe a couple times per month on average. I feel no need to be around other people and I don't get bored so no reason to actively find things to fill my time.

I refused all commitments (except family) for my first 10 years of retirement. Didn't even answer the phone for the first year. Now the only commitment I have is with our volunteer fire dept. at our cabin. It's only 1 day a week for a couple hours. Plus any emergencies we respond to.
My hat goes off to you!! We need people like you that are willing to give of their time for services like you do. Thank You!!!

I get not answering the phone. I dislike talking on the phone to this day. I was on the phone none stop with my career I still don't like talking on a phone. I will text but only talk if it is something that needs to be.

Last year I made a big mistake. I began talking to a local community theatre about volunteering. I ended up running their web site. I also ended up running their 'screenings' for Met Opera live and National Theater live (although both were pre-recorded downloads, not actually live).

Then they offered me a position being in charge of all events that weren't stage plays (so all concerts and special events and screenings). And that is when I realized I had to make a change, in part due to the wife's vehement reaction to me even *thinking* about taking the position.

I am now a very part-time webmaster whom they will replace very soon (I am leaving them no choice) and have resigned from any further screenings. Too much travel and other hobbies to do, plus we finally have a car (our first in Mexico in 12 years) and getting to other parts of the region is now a lot easier.

We didn't retire early just to replace our job commitments with other commitments, and it took this last year for me to remember why...

odds are a FIREee is capable, a quality volunteer groups thrive upon

I did that for years, till the new President started bending the rules and not holding meetings or sending out minutes. The last straw: someone wanted to put up a vinyl fence. Restrictions said that fences must be wood or ornamental metal. We agreed on a procedure to change the restrictions by vote, I went off on a 3-week trip, came back and found that the vinyl fence was up. Neighbor said the HOA President said it was OK because the Restrictions didn't explicitly prohibit vinyl. We've been advised by multiple attorneys that if you fail to enforce one restriction you've waived your right to enforce any of them. I didn't want to be on the defendant end of a lawsuit so I resigned.
The restrictions are clear with the words "must be" until a vote otherwise. However, according to the HOA President a fence can be made of any material, design, color, and size unless it was explicitly prohibited. The HOA President is making a feeble attempt at justifying their action. It sounds like some shenanigans.

Back
Top Bottom