Why not go to clicked links directly?

OldShooter

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is the only non-government site that I frequent where clicking on a link in a post doesn't just take me to the destination. Here I have to go though a sort of "Captain, May I?" page first. Why does the site software waste our time this way?

I've not experienced it here. I have at other sites.

This is the only non-government site that I frequent where clicking on a link in a post doesn't just take me to the destination. Here I have to go though a sort of "Captain, May I?" page first. Why does the site software waste our time this way?

Never experienced what you describe here. Can you post a screen shot of the "may I ?" screen?

I haven't had this issue, either.

Look at your browser settings.
When I click a link in a post it opens that site in a new tab, which is exactly what I want it to do.

OK, after checking further, I get a screen like this:

38349-albums210-picture1583.jpg

But it's only when I am not logged into the site. When I am logged in I do not get it. I never noticed that before.

I don't keep cookies around for very long, so I frequently browse the site as a visitor and only log in when I want to post. I guess I now have another reason to log in

It's punishment for lurking and not signing in.

It's punishment for lurking and not signing in.
Well, I guess that is an answer to my question, but why annoy lurkers, especially when they don't know that they have been singled out for annoyance? Is there some moral dimension to this?

Well, I guess that is an answer to my question, but why annoy lurkers, especially when they don't know that they have been singled out for annoyance? Is there some moral dimension to this?

I doubt if there's a moral implication or even an actual decision that was made. It's more likely that whoever installed and tested the copy of vbulletin that runs this site was logged in at the time and just tweaked the settings that affected his/her experience. In my experience, that's almost always the answer to a question about why a piece of software works the way it does.

I doubt if there's a moral implication or even an actual decision that was made. It's more likely that whoever installed and tested the copy of vbulletin that runs this site was logged in at the time and just tweaked the settings that affected his/her experience. In my experience, that's almost always the answer to a question about why a piece of software works the way it does.

Yes, it just gets blamed on the original installer...case closed. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom