Will a New car fit?

chilkoot

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been playing with the idea of a new car and had all but decided on the model when coronavirus reared its head. The shutdown put plans on hold and also gave me time to mull things over. Something occurred to me which I had never considered with any other car, so I wanted to get some feedback from the smart folks here.
My driveway is at an upward incline relative to the street. When one turns in, the front end goes up the drive and the rear end momentarily goes down. With the current car the rear end descends just far enough that the underside of the exhaust tip just barely touches the road (to give an idea what I mean by “just barely” the car is twelve years old and in that time about 1 mm of metal has been ground away; nothing I can’t live with).
The new car is about 4” longer overall; the wheelbase is about 1” longer; the height of the undercarriage from the ground is about the same.
I don’t want to invest in a new vehicle only to find I can’t pull in the drive without something scraping. Does this sound like it could be avoided just by driving in very slowly, so as not to compress the suspension? Or should I look at some other model? Is any other measurement necessary?
Thanks for any input.

Take it for a test drive by your house. These days, salesman might even deliver it.

An ounce of data trumps a pound of theory.

I lived in a house like that back in 1981-1983. My late ex could get his big Dodge van and boat up the driveway, but my little Dodge Colt was stuck down on the street. It was very annoying.

If you buy a new car, why not ask if you can do a test drive down to your driveway and find out? Surely the sales person would let you, if it's not too far and if you are very cautious.

Yes, empirical evidence is best. If you want to play around with measurements, do a search on departure angle.

I'm pretty sure if the deal depends on it they'll be happy to let you go see. Will the vehicle fit if it doesn't bottom out? What is plan B?

I feel much better with a smaller vehicle in the garage. My full size pickup was too big. It "fit" but nothing else did.

Yes, empirical evidence is best. If you want to play around with measurements, do a search on departure angle.

+1. In OP's case - it's all in the departure angle in your existing vehicle.

Measuring the departure angle of the vehicle is fairly easy. Take a look at some images online and it is fairly straightforward. But getting the angle of your driveway at the street would require some surveying equipment and knowledge how to use it.

Also, approach angle could also come into play on your new vehicle. wheelbase an inch longer, length 4" longer. Doesn't sound like much, but could make a difference.

But numbers is hard - definitely bring your prospective car home for a field check.

Last edited:
Maybe test drive the same model of car using a rental from Enterprise or Hertz? That way if it scrapes you will be alone in the car and wont have the uncomfortable stare of the care salesman and a possible ¨you broke it, you fix it ¨ conversation. Plus you might want to test the theory out with the car loaded down with groceries and people - something that might be more than a dealer test drive will allow.

Take it for a test drive by your house. These days, salesman might even deliver it.

+1. Nothing beats actually trying it out. Just go sloooowww to avoid any potential damage to the car.

Fix the bottom of your driveway.

+1.Though expensive, this might be a good action for the long run. If other folks with "long" vehicles use your driveway, they might claim that your driveway damaged their vehicle.

Install a set of airbags in your new car to inflate (raise) your suspension when you arrive at the bottom of your driveway, or as said previously, fix the approach to your driveway.

I guess the burning question is would the OP be comfortable buying the vehicle without doing a real world test?
I think a quick no math comp test could be done with a straight edge and a digital inclinometer (~$20+) - pull a line across the contact patch of the rear tires. With one end of the straight edge on the line tilt up to the skid point and measure the relative angle (zero point being the ground level). Repeat on the prospective new vehicle - steeper is better.

Install a set of airbags in your new car to inflate (raise) your suspension when you arrive at the bottom of your driveway, or as said previously, fix the approach to your driveway.

This community is great... love the out of the box thinking! If there is a car you "love" and it doesn't have the clearance, this could be a solution.

If your driveway doesn't accommodate most vehicles, I would consider alteration of the driveway as a permanent solution/welcome mat to visitors. If it does but the car you want doesn't have the clearance and has the suspension travel airbags would be a pretty cool solution that could save you some scrapes and anxiety when out and about as well!

During Covid a number of auto dealers are letting people do test drives by themselves.
18 years ago, I test drove a car with only DW in the car, no dealership employee.

They will want you to prove insurance and license.

If I were OP - I'd test going up and down the driveway frontwards and backwards to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom