Would you feel bad?

wildcat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been looking at some different jobs and doing some interviews over the past few months. I just received an offer from a company and they put me in on a 3 business day deadline to respond.

The only problem is that I was hoping to hear back from a firm in Chicago and one other before giving them my decision. I expect to hear their decision this week. I ended up accepting the offer to hedge my bets - in case I don't receive an offer from the other two.

I wouldn't start for another 3 weeks. I had a contact at the firm who made the offer and helped arrange the interview. So if I end up getting a better offer before I start, is it ok to back out? It is legally - 2 other firms are in a totally different line of business and out of the geographic area - but is it ethically?

It's not good to lie to your mama or your pastor - - but this is business! :-\

I have never been in your situation, but if I was then I would imagine that I would do exactly what you are doing. You don't have much choice. Yes, it costs them money to process your paperwork and they might even have to re-advertise (or not, if they can get their #2 choice to take the job).

I don't see anything more unethical about it than leaving a new job after a month, which people do all the time.

Don't sweat it: it is business and the labor market is competitive.

brewer12345 said:
Don't sweat it: it is business and the labor market is competitive.

Exactly. I was in a similar situation a month ago. I'm in IT and the market is very hot right now in my area and my particular area of specialty.

They probably wouldn't think twice about letting you go if it helped their bottom line, so don't feel bad about looking out for yourself.

Another vote for do what's best for you.

I work at a mega-corp in the chicagoland area - you sure you want to sign up for our winter weather? :)

- John

I work at a mega-corp in the chicagoland area - you sure you want to sign up for our winter weather?

Well, I did 5-6 years there on the northside before moving below the Mason-Dixon line. I will trade the winter weather for easy access to my beloved Cubs/Bears :).

They probably wouldn't think twice about letting you go if it helped their bottom line, so don't feel bad about looking out for yourself.

I suppose that kind of sums up the feelings I had initially.

Before making a household move I would check out the new employer's financials thoroughly. Typically employers who pay for a move wish to recover the moving expense if you leave them within a specific time frame (often a year). Explore an agreement with a mutual clause . . if they discharge you for reasons other than malfeasance they cannot recover the moving expense and must pay $X severance.

Especially when you have other opportunities you want to be sure that the commitment is mutual - at least for a year.

Let me preface this by saying I know times have changed, and I have been out of the work force for a while.

Nevertheless, it's not something I would do. First of all, I wouldn't like it if the company did it to me after I quit my other job. Also, won't it make your inside contact look bad?

I'm not passing judgment here, but these sorts of things have a way of coming back to haunt you. I would be honest with them and tell them you need more time to make a decision.

Just tell them you are awaiting another imminent offer.

Also ask them if they would consider bumping up their offer !

Masterblaster said:
Just tell them you are awaiting another imminent offer.

Is there a downside to doing that - just ask for one more week? Just tell them you do have other offers within the week, and you need to make the right decision. If they are smart, they'll realize you might say yes to protect yourself, and then leave in a week. Really no good for either of you. I doubt they would rescind the 3 day offer just because you asked for a week. So what have you got to lose?

They may have a second choice candidate in line that is telling them - 'I need a yes/no by Tuesday, or I'm taking this other offer!'. Giving you a week could mean they lose you both - so they may not do it.

It's tough. I do like to treat others (even businesses) as I would like to be treated (not necessarily how they actually treat me). But, the others are right, you do need to look out for #1, that is what businesses generally do.

-ERD50

remember what would happen if the roles were reversed...

they needed to let you go... would they care about you? NO... its all about business! nothing personal!! if you dont understand this, dont go for a boat ride if your with Fredo ! :p

I was in a similar situation years ago, and this was during the dotcom bust so jobs were scarce. I'd been looking for months, and finally I had an interview.

I went in and the interview went well, but no followup yet.

A few days later, my previous employer from about a year prior (before I quit to go travelling) calls me and says, 'We have some full-time contract work, but the req hasn't been approved. If I can get it approved, would you be interested in the position?'

I said I would be interested, but that I had an interview recently.

Shortly thereafter, the place I interviewed at lets me know that they'll be extending me an offer soon.

Monday rolls around, and the HR department of my previous employer calls up and says 'PW, we have everything here ready to go and we just need you to come in and sign the paperwork.'

So I called up the other place and said, 'I have another offer from my previous employer, and I'm going to need an answer from you today to weigh my options.'

I got the offer within a few hours, weighed the options, and ended up deciding to go with the new opportunity (for several reasons) even though it was a startup. This turned out to be the best decision I could have made in hindsight.

Anyway, long story short -- I prefer the 'be honest' approach and employers still appreciate integrity. Just remember, the corporation entity may not care about you as an individual, but the individuals hiring you do... because they're people just like you.

Hmmm. I suppose I have a reason to back out - if that is what I choose -and it could be a good one. It was announced that a PE group is trying to buy out this company. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me - the first led to a no new hire policy right before the offer.

I've seen people come into the company on week one, and get laid off on week two.

I've seen people accept a job and plan to start in a week, only to have the job recinded before they even got through the door.

Ethics has nothing to do with this, IMHO. "At will employment" means BOTH parties can end the agreement at will. No, you don't want to be cavalier about it, but Job 1 for you is to support yourself, your family, and your career.

I've told this story before, but my wife had an offer from company A that she had accepted, then just before she was to start company B, where she really wanted to work, came through with an offer.

She went to the HR dept. of her existing company, and asked them their opinion about backing out of offer A. The HR persons response - "Absolutely don't feel bad, it happens all the time. Do what is right for you".

- John

Peaceful_Warrior said:
Anyway, long story short -- I prefer the 'be honest' approach and employers still appreciate integrity. Just remember, the corporation entity may not care about you as an individual, but the individuals hiring you do... because they're people just like you.

I agree with this sentiment. You can still pass on a job without burning a bridge. You never know when you'll cross paths with that person again.

If you accept a job and then decline or quit the sooner the better from an HR standpoint. If the applicant pool is still fresh they can go back to the pool and not go through a recruitment again.

I am on the side of being honest.... if they only let you have three days, ask why:confused:

Also call your other companies and say that you have an offer in hand, but would really like to work with you... how do things look..

I had the same happen inside the company I worked, so I couldn't walk away.. the one person said "Take all the time you want... but I will make a decision at 5 PM"... I really wanted the other job I interviewed... so I called the HR person and the manager and asked "what is the percent I will get the job?".. HR said there were three other good candidates and some were minority... so I took the first offer as I knew I would not get the other (I had already been passed on another positon with a woman candidate)...

BUT, I just tell them what I think and go from there..

It happens all the time. However, if you sign an Agreement with the new company they could legally make life a bit difficult for you put if they have not actually move you or given you money, there is not much they can really do. Just don't plan on ever trying to get a job there again.

HR has a very long memory about stuff like this.

Agree, any hire for whom an employer has expended significant expense to relocate and who then resigns is tainted. Remember, HR folks come and go with the ebb and flow of workforce needs, they get around and their memories are long.

Paying for a relocation is a BIG thing. Moving also has risks for the employee as they are disconnecting from their former relationships. Make sure any agreement signed reflects the interests of both sides.

Back
Top Bottom