WOW for firecalc

Capn-Billl

Confused about dryer sheets
If that calc is anywhere near accurate, my retirement is not as far off as I thought. I had assumed I would need at least 3mil to safely retire , but the calc showed I could do it with as little as 900k.

I'm 47 and on the home stretch with saving and investing. My goal is to retire in 5 - 10 years. I own 2 duplexes that generate 1k/mo per unit, (net), and plan to sell big expensive house to buy small cheap retirement house in 5 years, (or when the housing crises is over). I am also saving up to buy two more duplexes. I currently make 80k, but I plan on limiting retirement spending to 3k/mo. With all debts cleared, (including house), it sounds livable right now.

$3k/mo would be $36k per year. In theory a $720k nest egg at a 4% SWR would provide that amount. However, you are a bit young, so $900K in investments sounds about right.

Does the $3k/month include health insurance and deductible costs? My health care costs alone will be about $1k/month.

I have always wondered if a 4% SWR would work in a non-US emerging economy type geo.

I have always wondered if a 4% SWR would work in a non-US emerging economy type geo.

Might be better for the next few years, or not. But if you have a globally diversified portfolio I would think 4% SWR would work anywhere. Certainly Japan would have caused a problem in the past for someone heavily invested in Japan equities. That's why it's OK to start with 2% or 3% WR if you feel like it.

Back
Top Bottom