X ray cost to me: $24.54

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I never know how much a chest X-ray costs. A recent trip to imaging facility has the below numbers from EOB:

Amount billed: $158.00
Network saving: $133.46
Amount you owe: $24.54

So, insurance negotiated price of X-ray is $24.54? I have a high deductible plan and have not met the deductible yet. So, I will pay that $24.54. Still low cost for X-ray, it seems.

Last edited:
I never know how much a chest X-ray costs. A recent trip to imaging facility has the below numbers from EOB:

Amount billed: $158.00
Network saving: $133.46
Amount you owe: $24.54

So, insurance negotiated price of X-ray is $24.54? I have a high deductible plan and have not met the deductible yet. So, I will pay that $24.54. Still low cost for X-ray, it seems.

There is a possibility you may also get a (probably small) bill from the radiologist who read the X-ray.

About normal. A recent ER visit, the hospital bill for the facility was over $ 6k, insurrance paid $ 2100. This was the facility charge , 10 hours of observation. All the other bills are still pending.

My megacorp used to pay area hospitals and doctor organizations a set annual fee that guaranteed a certain number of patients and services in the tri state area. It was negotiated yearly, with rights to reopen. It kept costs down for years.

Checking my local prices on radiologyassist.com, I get an average of $41 for a chest x-ray with 2 views. Last month DW was in emergency room. Among other things, she had a chest x-ray with 2 views. The billed rate was $719. Medicare paid $50.62 and we paid $12.91 for a total of $63.53 Not bad for emergency room stuff I think. I cannot imagine someone with a bit of money not having some form of insurance to negotiate lower prices for them.

Just be aware that if you get xrays, ultrasound or Cat scans in a hospital, expect an additional bill from a radiologist doctor you never saw. This is pretty common practice. If you go to a location outside of a hospital, they don't have any additional doctors looking at your lab work and it gets sent to your doctor. I learned this the hard way.

Just be aware that if you get xrays, ultrasound or Cat scans in a hospital, expect an additional bill from a radiologist doctor you never saw. This is pretty common practice. If you go to a location outside of a hospital, they don't have any additional doctors looking at your lab work and it gets sent to your doctor. I learned this the hard way.

A radiologist always looks at the image and gives an evaluation. Whether you get billed separately depends.

Back
Top Bottom