Yellowstone closed 6/13 - 15

The Yellowstone is just about ready to go over the bank at my place. Three years ago it flooded in my area and dozens of homes were bulldozed after the water finally receded. Roads gone all over that area and roads at ranch were washed away too. The flood was called the 100-year flood and did enormous damage and still see affects today. In places the river was out of its bank by 4 miles. I knew almost all the people that lost their homes. I had avalanches of mud from the hills that caused issues at the ranch.

The Yellowstone is a wild river with no dams and has a mind of its own. I really don't see those on the north entrance getting done soon or even getting done in the same place they are now. I have been across them many times and isn't fun to see the pictures.

I've noticed that 100 year floods are not very precise and don't seem to do the 100 year timing very well.
Is your place in danger if this flooding is as bad or slightly worse than before ?

I've noticed that 100 year floods are not very precise and don't seem to do the 100 year timing very well.
Is your place in danger if this flooding is as bad or slightly worse than before ?

Yes, it has the potential of flooding from the high water. What would flood would be pasture and hay ground and vintage old wood shop. The cabin is up high in a canyon and water would never get that high. There is an old cabin from homesteading days that would flood or could get flooded.

Got an email regarding our reservations at Yellowstone. The Park is starting to reopen.

“June 22, 2022

Dear Yellowstone National Park Lodges guests,

As you may have seen in recent news reports, record flooding in and around Yellowstone National Park has caused significant damage to roads, bridges, and other infrastructure. We have been advised by the National Park Service that the southern loop road, along with the East, South, and West entrances of Yellowstone National Park are planned to reopen on Wednesday, June 22, 2022. This date could change depending on direction from the National Park Service, which may be related to weather and/or other factors.

As a result, with the exception of Canyon Lodge & Cabins, Canyon Campground, and Madison Campground,** we are currently planning to reopen our in-park operations, including lodging, campgrounds, food services, gift shops, tours, etc. on Wednesday, June 22, 2022. We will update our operational hours and services here as they are available. (Mammoth Hotel and Roosevelt Lodge lodging, restaurants, tours/activities, and gift shop are closed for the season.)

Guests with valid lodging, campground, and tour/activity reservations for arrival on or after June 22, 2022, at Old Faithful Inn, Old Faithful Snow Lodge, Old Faithful Lodge, Grant Village, Lake Yellowstone Hotel, Lake Lodge, Grant Campground, Bridge Bay Campground, Fishing Bridge RV Park, and Bridge Bay Marina can enter the park on the days of their stay and/or activities with proof of their valid/active reservations. (A cancelled reservation will not qualify for park entry outside the Alternating License Plate system.)
It is highly recommended that you either have a printed copy of your reservation confirmation or have your confirmation saved to your phone for ease of park access. Internet connectivity and cell phone service can be unreliable at entrance stations.
**Canyon Village will initially reopen on June 22 for day use only (food service, gifts, tours). Canyon Village lodging, Canyon and Madison campgrounds are projected to reopen on June 29. (Infrastructure damage and repair work at Canyon Village has resulted in the delay of opening full operations until at least June 29.)
Guests with valid reservations for arrival on/after June 29 at Canyon Lodge & Cabins, Canyon Campground and Madison Campground can enter the park on days of their stay with proof of their valid/active reservations.
If you choose to cancel your reservations, you may do so online or by calling our Central Reservations Office at 307-344-7311. Because our Central Reservations call center is experiencing very high call volumes, please expect longer hold times. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
Please note: The park is reopening the south loop with new visitor management measures instituted. You can find details on the plan, and the Alternating License Plate System (ALPS) for park entry here. The ALPS does not apply to guests with valid in-park lodging, campground and/or tour/activity reservations for the dates of these reservations. It is essential that our guests have their valid Yellowstone National Park Lodges reservation confirmation available to present at the park entrance station to avoid any entry delays. If you plan to enter the Park on days in which you do not have in-park reservations, the ALPS will apply!

If you’re still planning to visit Yellowstone this summer, we strongly suggest you regularly check the Yellowstone National Park Flood Recovery webpage and road report. You can also call the road report at 307-344-2117. You can also find gateway community information by clicking on the following links for Cody, WY, 307-586-1574 (East entrance), Jackson, WY (South entrance), West Yellowstone, MT (West entrance), Cooke City, MT (Northeast entrance), and Gardiner, MT (North entrance). We recommend that guests and visitors regularly check the status of the North and Northeast entrances as both will remain closed until further notice.

We understand why you might want to postpone your Yellowstone trip. With that in mind, if you still intend to travel this summer, you may want to consider alternative National Parks and vacation ideas from our sister travel brands.

We are very sorry for this situation and its impact on your travel plans and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely, Yellowstone National Park Lodges

Xanterra Logo
National Park Service Logo
-
join us on social / Facebook Logo Instagram Logo Twitter Logo TikTok Logo
-
PRIVACY POLICY
If you have any questions, call us at 307-344-7311.
Yellowstone National Park Lodges | PO Box 165 Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190 | 307-344-7311

©2022 Xanterra Travel Collection, All rights reserved.”

100 year floods don’t do the 100 year timing very well because they aren’t supposed to. The definition of a 100 year flood is not a flood that occurs once every 100 years.

Per Wikipedia: “A 100-year flood is a flood event that has a 1 in 100 chance (1% probability) of being equaled or exceeded in any given year.”

FEMA now refers areas of 100 year floods to be Special Flood Hazard Areas.

Per FEMA: “Flood hazard areas identified on the Flood Insurance Rate Map are identified as a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). SFHA are defined as the area that will be inundated by the flood event having a 1-percent chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year. The 1-percent annual chance flood is also referred to as the base flood or 100-year flood.”

I think Sunset was poking a little fun.

Unfortunately, a lot of people actually believe that floods are on intervals of 10, 100, 500 years. They don't understand the statistical name, which in retrospect was not a good name.

Earthquakes, on the other hand, do have a sort-of interval. But even they show chaotic patterns.

Well, a flood that has a 1% chance of happening that happen twice in a four year span probably has a better than 1% chance in reality.

I don't think anyone believes these floods or events like this actually happen on intervals (except for Bodhi and the 50 year storm at Bell's Beach in Point Break) but it does imply that on average they will happen once every 100 years.

On July 2nd more roads will open in Yellowstone. No more odd/even entrance requirement.
Date Posted: 6/30/2022Alert 1, Severity closure, Park’s South Loop Accessible via ALPS. North loop opening July 2.The south loop, accessed from the East, West, and South entrances, is open via an Alternating License Plate System (ALPS). The north loop will reopen July 2 and ALPS will be suspended at that time.

Trying to decide if we should cancel our end-of-August Yellowstone adventure. I've never been there but wanted to experience all of it. We could go and visit the Grand Tetons. I don't know if Bear Tooth highway (pass) will be open. Then, the even/odd license plate admission system is sketchy. Our hotel is in Big Sky which puts us north. We'd have to drive down to the west entrance and continue south to the Tetons. Any suggestions? I'm game for waiting a couple of years.

The Yellowstone news seems to have shifted from bad roads to gored visitors.

Buffalo are not cute pets, yet it seems like that message is not received? I know there have been incidents through the years, but it seems like it is growing. Selfies? Ignorance? What is going on?

When we visited 20 some years ago, the rangers made it clear to steer clear of the bison. Just because there is a boardwalk does not make it safe if there is a wild animal next to the boardwalk.

Apparently the rangers' advice doesn't make an impact anymore.

https://abc11.com/woman-gored-by-bison-yellowstone-national-park-attack-gores/12008730/

Then there are the people who think they should be able to walk all over the geothermal areas and even bathe in the hot pools. You can't make this stuff up.

I remember being on the coast of western Ireland where signs warned people not to approach the edge of the cliffs overlooking the ocean. People did it any way. From a viewpoint maybe 1/2 mile away, you can see how soil underneath the cliff has been worn away, almost 50 feet in! Nothing is holding that land up but.... Air?

Last edited:
This bison was hanging out at the Yellowstone Lodge. We encountered it on the way in and out of the lodge.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 12.54.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 12.54.12 PM.jpg
    950.6 KB · Views: 31
The Yellowstone news seems to have shifted from bad roads to gored visitors.

Buffalo are not cute pets, yet it seems like that message is not received? I know there have been incidents through the years, but it seems like it is growing. Selfies? Ignorance? What is going on?

When we visited 20 some years ago, the rangers made it clear to steer clear of the bison. Just because there is a boardwalk does not make it safe if there is a wild animal next to the boardwalk.

Apparently the rangers' advice doesn't make an impact anymore.

https://abc11.com/woman-gored-by-bison-yellowstone-national-park-attack-gores/12008730/
What I find most sad about these type of incidents is that the wild animal is the one that people tend to blame. I have no sympathy for people who feel the need to molest, approach, get near, feed, or frighten wild animals and then find themselves injured. They brought it on themselves.

Cheers!

What I find most sad about these type of incidents is that the wild animal is the one that people tend to blame. I have no sympathy for people who feel the need to molest, approach, get near, feed, or frighten wild animals and then find themselves injured. They brought it on themselves.

Cheers!

And there are the bears that need to be relocated or put down because idiots feed them intentionally or unintentionally. Rangers usually implore people not to throw their backpacks at them because the bears learn there are tasty treats in them. They'll learn to seek out hikers.

Last edited:
And there are the bears that need to be relocated or put down because idiots feed them intentionally or unintentionally. Rangers usually implore people not to throw their backpacks at them because the bears learn there are tasty treats in them. They'll learn to seek out hikers.

We have a similar problem in Florida with people feeding alligators. And they are all over the state and roam in neighborhoods, in swimming pools, on golf courses, and even walking on beaches. If you have never seen them get up on their legs and run then you are in for a surprise but only for a few seconds if they are heading toward you. Then you're lunch.

Chears!

We have a similar problem in Florida with people feeding alligators. And they are all over the state and roam in neighborhoods, in swimming pools, on golf courses, and even walking on beaches. If you have never seen them get up on their legs and run then you are in for a surprise but only for a few seconds if they are heading toward you. Then you're lunch.

Chears!

When I first moved to Florida and went golfing with a friend, he ran at it waving his arms and hooting and hollering because the ball landed close to an alligator. I'm like: "You're crazy, man!"

He said no, you gotta make them feel the fear. The alligator hi-tailed it for the other side of the pond. He then played his ball even though there was a rule you could make a drop. He was a native Florida boy.

I tried this technique with urban Canada geese and they don't care. If anything, it is a challenge for them.

Last edited:
Thanks - I'm going late July. I'm ready. I read somewhere that Going to the Sun Road is targeted to open 7/13.

Yes, that is the target date. I had a good friend that was in Glacier hiking last week and said some of the hiking trails were closed due to avalanche precaution.

I hope you have a great time.

I remember being on the coast of western Ireland where signs warned people not to approach the edge of the cliffs overlooking the ocean. People did it any way. From a viewpoint maybe 1/2 mile away, you can see how soil underneath the cliff has been worn away, almost 50 feet in! Nothing is holding that land up but.... Air?

We spent a month on the coast of western Ireland in 2013 and came across such signs. While hiking on Inishbofin we came across a monument near the cliffs of 2 American students who had perished there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martinphillips/5943610289

Two students from the University of Kansas were drowned at this spot (Inishbofin Island, Co. Galway. Ireland) on February 3rd 1976, while on a tour and their deaths are still spoken about with such clarity that it seems as if it was a recent event. The cross is a monument to their tragedy and a memorial to their regrettable demise at such a young age.

Attachments

• 58730282-CCB6-475E-B137-7A2163379BBB.jpg
    58730282-CCB6-475E-B137-7A2163379BBB.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Just got an email from Yellowstone:

To our Lodging and Campground guests,

As we are faced with workforce shortages, we are modifying our food service as well as operating dates and times throughout the park. The modifications range from the closing of designated food outlets and/or meal times to offering buffets and limited menus at other outlets. Some restaurants are currently only able to serve their in-house hotel guests at this time.

Considering the fluid situation in the park, you may wish to travel with some extra food items and snacks. We encourage you to regularly visit our website for the latest information on our in-park services.

Please know that we continue to work hard to recruit new staff and restore services, and ask for your patience with those who are working to do their best under difficult circumstances. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Yellowstone National Park Lodges

We better pack some food

Back
Top Bottom