You be the Financial Advisor

Well there was so little given to the advice and so much time spent on why I should not be giving the advice that I gave up the idea of getting unemotional advice, the forum turned out to be very emotional and doubting of the facts

Sorry for any offence given by my previous "emotional" post.

Okay, let's get right to the nitty gritty. Tell them to sell everything, and borrow as much as possible. Then, use the money to trade forex options. They can quickly make a real bundle that way, and will have more than enough to retire. You will be their hero!

I was not including your respone in that, in many ways I agree with your advice about 3 more years of work but that is what they want to avoid at almost all costs.

I can fully appreciate the desire for early retirement (see my signature line). You did originally, however, seem really interested in "unvarnished" advice--that is you seemed to not want to influence what the advisors might say.

I hope you would perhaps consider this idea----working just three more "little, fast passing" years so that you can take the age 65 pension of $3300/month, and take higher SS amount at age 65 than age 62. And even perhaps delay the other person's SS to later than age 62. All the while further paying down mortgage and further building cash reserves and 401k balance.

Now, how do you reconcile----"we want out now", with "work three more years"?

Why couldn't the two of you both work part-time for three more years at any jobs available so as to earn the required living expenses for those three years? Part-time employment gives you a chance to have more time together, sample retirement activities, get the "picture" of what full retirement life is going to be like---all the while immensely strengthening your financial position and putting your future full retirement on a very strong, stable, fully sustainable footing.

I would maintain your case does NOT have to be "either or". For a lousy three quick years it can be "half-and-half". Those three measely years then ending with you and your sweetie landing in Nirvana, in Eden, in Paradise. I see you in just three quick years riding off into the sunset together, the grins on your faces sublime.

This is my unvarnished best advice given what you have told us of your situation.

Sorry for any offence given by my previous "emotional" post.

Okay, let's get right to the nitty gritty. Tell them to sell everything, and borrow as much as possible. Then, use the money to trade forex options. They can quickly make a real bundle that way, and will have more than enough to retire. You will be their hero!

Certainly no offense was taken.

I tried to phrase the question such that the issue of whether I should offer advice was proper was a non-factor, only what would be the best use of the financial assets to meet their goal of retiring and maintaining their current level of spending. My clumsy method of doing this has resulting in people I do not know believing I have insulted them which I most assuredly had no desire to do.

Back
Top Bottom