You might want to rethink your plans to use Medicaid to pay for the nursing home.

Another Reader

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Don't move to Louisiana - got it.

Saw this on the evening news tonight.

IMO, another "Grandma's gonna get thrown out on the street unless...." ploy. I'd be beyond amazed if it came to be. Somehow they always find a way at the 11th hour.

Here in Mass the media warned that "Thousands will die!!" if we enacted a Prop 2 1/2 tax measure. We did. No one died as a result.

Yea, it is usually "for the children!" but occasionally "throw granny off the cliff".

Odds are you'll be dead in 6 months in the nursing home.

Saw this on the evening news tonight.

IMO, another "Grandma's gonna get thrown out on the street unless...." ploy. I'd be beyond amazed if it came to be. Somehow they always find a way at the 11th hour.

Here in Mass the media warned that "Thousands will die!!" if we enacted a Prop 2 1/2 tax measure. We did. No one died as a result.

You actually do not know.... someone might have died because of it....

Still, does not mean it is not good gvmt policy.... some people put too high a price on a life....

Still, does not mean it is not good gvmt policy.... some people put too high a price on a life....

So Grandma needed killing anyway? Clint :D

True, I don't know but the fact is nothing really changed. The initiative was about limiting property tax increases, not Armageddon.

But the scare tactic, as they said at the time was: "life as we know it will end". They actually said that on TV!

Life went on just fine after the initiative passed; Boston never turned into Calcutta after all.

Not a problem here in Louisiana since we don't have any cliffs....

True, I don't know but the fact is nothing really changed. The initiative was about limiting property tax increases, not Armageddon.

But the scare tactic, as they said at the time was: "life as we know it will end". They actually said that on TV!

Life went on just fine after the initiative passed; Boston never turned into Calcutta after all.

Yes, politics on both sides have gotten way out of hand on what will happen when they try and present their side to the public... I have grown weary that anything that is passed will hurt the children one way or another... either killing them or putting an undue debt burden on them...

We had to move our little auntie from assisted living where she just watched Fox News 24 hours a day. Auntie was in a very large full nursing home--285 beds.

Fortunately medium.size southern cities' nursing facilities cost far less than in major cities. And the cost of her care was far less than her investment income.

Go to visit during lunchtime, and finding auntie was.difficult. Virtually every person there was in a wheelchair, and they all had white hair--and looked alike.

But she was happier there than in previous.years, even though she had lost her spark. We never felt guilty placing her there, even though she told everyone her nephews kidnapped her and moved her back to her home town.

I do feel for families that don't have the financial resources to take care of loved ones without going into the negative on assets. Fortunately, most are just in such care.facilities 2 or 2 1/2 years. Auntie was 3 months shy of 100 years old when she peacefully left us.

We had to move our little auntie from assisted living where she just watched Fox News 24 hours a day. Auntie was in a very large full nursing home--285 beds.

Fortunately medium.size southern cities' nursing facilities cost far less than in major cities. And the cost of her care was far less than her investment income.

Go to visit during lunchtime, and finding auntie was.difficult. Virtually every person there was in a wheelchair, and they all had white hair--and looked alike.

But she was happier there than in previous.years, even though she had lost her spark. We never felt guilty placing her there, even though she told everyone her nephews kidnapped her and moved her back to her home town.

I do feel for families that don't have the financial resources to take care of loved ones without going into the negative on assets. Fortunately, most are just in such care.facilities 2 or 2 1/2 years. Auntie was 3 months shy of 100 years old when she peacefully left us.

The article states that if this goes through, many nursing homes will have to shut down, as so many patients are on Medicaid. Implied is there are too many spots for the number of self-pay occupants and the number of beds will have to shrink substantially.

The article states that if this goes through, many nursing homes will have to shut down, as so many patients are on Medicaid. Implied is there are too many spots for the number of self-pay occupants and the number of beds will have to shrink substantially.

Nursing homes have already been shutting down due to inability to make money. There are many contributing factors. Medicare’s bundled payments, ACO’s, and advances in technology which enable people to stay at home or stay in assisted living instead of having to move into a nursing home have all resulted in declining reimbursement from insurers. However most states haven’t changed minimum staffing requirements and other regulations that drive the high cost structure of a nursing home.

This is one reason we don’t have LTC insurance. I’m not sure today’s nursing homes will even exist 20 years from now. No business whose revenue is declining but cost structure is fixed can survive in the long run. Something’s gotta give.

My mom apparently told her friend that she 'needed a plan' in case she had to go to an assisted living facility before she fell and broke her pelvis. I did not know this. Executing her plan began while she had advanced dementia, a broken pelvis, A-Fib, and some other issues. It turned out the plan was to stop eating. She lasted 7 weeks, 2 of which were in the hospital, 3 in rehab, and 2 in the assisted living facility.

The article states that there are 70 million on Medicaid; and that Medicaid eligibility was expanded under Obama. I don't recall seeing the elderly on the side of the road before Obama, so how / where did their care from then?

Anyway seems to me to be a lot of political gamesmanship. Nothing new there.

I do not have a plan to have Medicaid pay for my nursing home care. Going into a nursing home is not on my bucket list, I'd rather be at home, although I cannot predict the future.

Last edited:
I do not have a plan to have Medicaid pay for my nursing home care. Going into a nursing home is not on my bucket list, I'd rather be at home, although I cannot predict the future.

You think that's a bucket list item for some folks? Don't you expect almost everyone would rather be at home?

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/05/senate_finance_budget.html
The drama continues.

"Louisiana is facing such difficult budget choices because over a billion dollars worth of state taxes are expiring June 30.

But the House has also struggled to pass any tax bills that would help Louisiana avoid those deeper budget cuts. House members haven't been able to agree on what taxes -- if any -- should be approved to replace the ones that are expiring."

Seems like there's a hint in there somewhere...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom