You retirees w/ 10+ years experience, what's next?

Retired ten years ago next month. Stages 1 and 4, but never close to 2 or 3. When I last walked out and turned in my badge, I knew I was done. Retirement is soooo much better than corporate life!!

I'll hit the 9-year mark in a few months. Ooh, I just realized it will be in the middle of a trip to South America. How fitting!

No, I am not bored. I went straight to Stage 4 after I realized that even temporary gigs would chain me to a schedule. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities no matter what your skill set. Numerous things at church occupy a lot of my time and that's OK. I love learning and I went to a local seminary and got the classes I needed to be a Lay Preacher (I can take the pulpit when our priest wants a Sunday off). I have grandchildren to spoil and a house and garden to maintain and an unlimited supply of books to download from the public library.

I think happiness in retirement is partly a function of how much you identified with your job. If you had plenty to do (or that you wanted to do) outside of your job that makes you happy and gives you a sense of purpose, you're good.

It has been 11 years since retirement from a career that I truly enjoyed except for the low pay. But that is all in the past and we are just fine financially. We have traveled quite a bit and the only reason we may occasionally get bored is because we have animals that rely on us. That is the trade off but wouldn't give them up. Never considered part time, temporary gigs, consulting, or adjunct teaching. I enjoy riding my recumbent and my wife has her tennis teams. Recently trying to set up the garage as a woodshop that should keep me busy for a long time making little projects for the house. I have a good friend that builds metal sculptures and offers many ideas for me to get back into various art media. I may take him up on a few. There is no lack of fun and creative past times to pursue.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forums, DKS1. vBulletin must really have griped at you about reviving this thread!

Stage one - you are ecstatic about the new heaven that you've walked into with no traffic, deadlines or personality mine fields to traverse.

Stage four - you come to realize that it is your time to enjoy your life doing just whatever it is you want (reading/golfing/grandkids/traveling etc....). You are truly grateful for for the life you are able to live as a result of decisions and sacrifices you made throughout your life. That is when true peace and happiness sets in!!
I certainly enjoyed stage one, and every few months I feel that I’m back in it for a few days.

But after my first time through there I skipped straight to stage four. I spend almost all of my time in this stage, and life is very good.

I’ve had job offers over the years (yes, I’m 62 years old and still getting job offers) but I’m too busy with other projects. Right now those projects alternate among grandparenting, home improvement, and updating The Military Guide (both the book and the blog). Then I’ll start writing my third book. Then I’ll start a fourth one.

Is Nords still around? Pretty old thread!
Not only is it a pretty old thread, but it’s also my first post.

This database has nearly 100K threads, and I’m a little surprised that vBulletin could find my first. Either that or you’ve spent way too much time here lurking on old posts?

I’m one of the earlier members, and I lurked here for a year before I felt comfortable posting my questions.

I visit here every week or so to check for my poster name and the “military” keyword to answer questions for U.S. military families.

Nords needs to give us his 20 year update
I supported his retirement buying his book, i'm 5 weeks into retirement
Congratulations on your retirement! Take your time, find your pace, and please let us know if you have questions.

And thank you for buying the book!

Back in 2005 about 50 of us posters started collaborating on the manuscript. (You all know who you are.) I was inspired by Bob Clyatt’s “Work Less, Live More” to volunteer to gather everyone’s input into the drafts. Everyone who volunteered got a vote on what military-friendly charities we’d support with the royalties. That project finished in 2009 and I found a publisher (after nine query letters) in 2010.

The original crew of contributors voted to donate the royalties (and blog income) to Fisher House Foundation and Wounded Warrior Project. As of last month’s royalty check, that comes to $29,899. In a few months your royalty bucks will put us into $29.9K territory.

I published the 20-year update in June 2022:
https://militaryfinancialindependen...nancial-independence-and-military-retirement/
(There’s no ads or affiliate links, and this is my original 2010 site. Books linked in the post are at your local public library.)

All of the questions in that post came from millionaires. It's also my second-longest blog post ever, and some of you know that's quite an accomplishment for my prolixity.

I wrote my answers while my spouse and I were settling into a two-month housesit in Santa Barbara. We’d never done that before, but other friends (and long-time housesitters) asked us to help them out (they wanted to move on), and I’d never surfed SB before.

Besides my spouse and I were wondering whether we still had the ability to commit to a full-time two-month responsibility (the answer turned out to be “Yes”, but we didn’t care to repeat it) and whether we could still take care of a dog (also “Yes”, and he was a great dog, but he cramped our lifestyle).

Since I published that post there’s been one change: I’m thinking about buying another longboard. It’ll probably be next year, when my first one is old enough to drink, and I’m probably going with a custom shaper (in Waialua) to create it in epoxy.

By then our daughter & son-in-law expect to be settled back on Oahu, our granddaughter will be four years old, and she’ll help me figure out the colors.

Last edited:
11 years retired for me. Been through the first 3 phases and am heading to phase 4. I am rarely bored... occasionally, but not very often. I haven't done any paid work but a lot of volunteer stuff for friends, family and local non-profits. Enough to keep my mind working. Most recently, I did one 2-year term on our condo Board... two years of watching the inmates run the asylum and beating my head against a wall was more than enough for me.

Grandson #1 was born in June 2022 so phase 4 is awaiting.

Wow Nords--this is so COOL! I saw the thread title and clicked on it since I am a 4 month newbie at retirement. I really enjoy retirement and I am surprised that I don't feel a need to more. I thought that I would need bunches of projects lined up to stave off boredom, but that is not the case at all. I hope that in a few years I look back and can say "yep, this is pretty good!"

13 years later…yep, this is pretty good!

In the 11 years since retirement I have alternated between stages 2,3 and 4. The longest I went without either teaching online or consulting in my previous career has been 3 years. A month ago I was asked to do vocational testing which I love so working again. I set my appointments with clients and do my paperwork at home. I average between 5-15 hours a week but I have total control of my schedule. In the past I volunteered at the humane society and for the past two years I have been on the condo board.

Great blast from the past, and sure nice to get updates!

Wow, 20 years!

I'm almost 5 years in and Nords was a huge help to me both with his book and advice here and on MMM forum.

15+ years retired.
Had to think to figure it out, does not seem like that much time elapsed. As for what next? I don't know, pretty much make up what to do each day. At 75 am still figure skating, taught myself how to at 62. Summers spend time kayaking. Covid interrupted my dancing.
Now that the covid madness is mosly over, back to taking Latin dance lessons, Bachata, Son Cubano and for a good measure Swing dance.. In a few weeks will take a short course in Milonga, (Not to be confused with Milonga a place for Tango dancing) a pre cursor to Argentine Tango. The dancing involves driving 60+ miles to Pittsbugh.
Of course spend time fiddling and generally wasting time at my 14 acre camp.
So the general idea is to keep body parts moving so they keep moving:D

Last edited:
17 years for me. I guess I never actually identified any "stages" to my ER experience. I'm sure I went through them, but I didn't care enough to name them.

I think I was born for ER. Left Megacorp and I was pretty much retired and living my life. I still have more dreams about University than Megacorp, even though I was at Megacorp for 36 years.

I still recall reading of Nords' Adventures in Paradise before I ER'd (or joined the Forum.) He (and others) convinced me I could make it in the Islands (15 years now.) I still love to visit the mainland but the Islands are home as is FIRE Forum.

Thanks, dks1 for reviving this thread. Lots of good memories for many of us. Hope lots of good memories for you to make in your continuing adventure.

We early retired in 1998 and 2001 at ages 51 and 48. We are now 76 (dh) and 70 (me), we have been retired going on 25 and 22 years, WOW!.

Retirement has been great and still is. Other than dh dealing with Afib for a few years - which hopefully is now resolved after an ablation, we have had no major health issues. DH stills golfs 3 days a week, we bike, I do yoga, walk daily and workout at the gym most days and do some volunteer work. At our age I realize our health could change in an instant, so we try to cherish every day.

One thing that is better the longer we have been retired and the older we are, is we don't worry about running out of money like we did in the early years and we don't freak out every time the market goes down. With social security, our mortgage free home and our nest egg I think we are set for the remainder of our days.

In early retirement we spent more time traveling and doing things with friends but now we spend more time with family, especially our 4 grandchildren, and enjoy a slower pace of life.

We are so thankful we have had these past 20+ years to enjoy retirement and hope for many more.

One thing that is better the longer we have been retired and the older we are, is we don't worry about running out of money like we did in the early years and we don't freak out every time the market goes down. With social security, our mortgage free home and our nest egg I think we are set for the remainder of our days.

We are in that same boat. The only things we worry about are health issues that could limit our activities and the short time left.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Always enjoy hearing from you, Nords. Your writings have helped educate me in the past.
And hearing from those of you who have been retired for a longer time is very nice and reassuring that retirement can remain an enjoyable experience with a well thought out plan!

We are in that same boat. The only things we worry about are health issues that could limit our activities and the short time left.

Cheers!

We've had plenty of health issues in our 70s. Financially, I'd have to say that the triple whammy of inflation, down markets AND unusual expenses (you know, like $10K water leaks:() have given me pause. BUT, I go back and run the numbers again and realize "It's all good" plus I still have my back-ups if need be. YMMV

I've never been "unhappily retired" either.

Turned down all "consulting offers" also.

Nah, I'm done, having fun in the sun - :)

Back
Top Bottom