Your view on 2023 market outcome

Let’s all remember our Dale Carnegie and disagree without being disagreeable

It doesn’t entertain me to guess. I just see what happens.

It has no impact on how I invest or spend either.

Actually inflation has trended down for six months, but we can’t know what direction it will go from here despite the trend. Many experts are predicting inflation will be down to about 3% by the end of 2023. But that guess is no better than any.
Like I just posted over on the inflation discussion thread, 2022 inflation was 6.45%, but for the last 6 months of 2022 inflation was only 0.16%. That’s an incredibly sharp drop. Doesn’t mean it will keep dropping but IMO it’s important to realize how front loaded that year number is.

Last edited:
I think it will be an emotional roller coaster for most of us. We'll read articles by those without a clue who sound logical but are making predictions based on nothing firm or substantial. ...
The good news is that reading that stuff is totally optional.

+1. Market predictions are a waste of time. My time horizon is still 20-30 years. I think it funny how often people ask ‘I know no one knows, but what do you think?’ :cool:
Yes. The most accurate market prediction I have ever seen is attributed to J.P. Morgan: "It will fluctuate."

Some of these predictions could possibly come true in given situations since the market and the economy are linked in a sometimes-understood fashion.
:D

With inflation being closer to over 10% contrary to what the media might be reporting, I think the worst is yet to come! Just look at the high price of food, clothing, rent etc. After all it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to tell you what’s obvious!

Every time the minimum wage goes up in my state, I see the prices jump. I believe 27 states have or will have higher minimum wages this year. That will be another factor kicking up true inflation even higher.

I do expect a significant recession in 2023. And the market will drop further from here.

The market will alternate between me doing the Snoopy Happy Dance with Woodstock and his friends joining in, and me running screaming into the night looking for a cave to shelter in. Where it ends up is anybody's guess :D.

The market will alternate between me doing the Snoopy Happy Dance with Woodstock and his friends joining in, and me running screaming into the night looking for a cave to shelter in. Where it ends up is anybody's guess :D.
Yeah, if you crave daily drama just tune into the financial news each day, or any 24-hour news source for that matter.

Yeah, if you crave daily drama just tune into the financial news each day, or any 24-hour news source for that matter.
For me, the amount of time I spend watching/reading the "so called" financial news has dropped 90% since I moved everything to fixed assets and quit "trading". I still watch and read but the time spent is way down and is all I need now... It's all the same everywhere anyway, just with different opinions and spins. I can figure it out for myself. Sure helps lower my blood pressure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by W2R
I think it will be an emotional roller coaster for most of us. We'll read articles by those without a clue who sound logical but are making predictions based on nothing firm or substantial. ...
(emphasis added)

Thanks. The above is a great example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. People who know so little that they don't know what they don't know, often sound the most confident and knowledgeable. Meanwhile, the person in the back saying things like, "I'm not certain, but.......", or "It is possible that....." or best of all "Earlier I made a mistake. I was wrong" are those who know enough to actually be worth our attention.

Keep in mind that I am not a trained psychologist, and I could very well be wrong about the above.

Based on my past performance/predictions, stocks are "very likely" to soar to new heights this year. (Why, because I've moved all of my stash into fixed income investments and plan to stay there in 2023.) That includes, my 401k, IRA's, and extra tax paid cash. I keep about a years worth of spending money in my checking accounts but other than that, I'm all in.

Yes, I've often thought the best way to do well in the markets is to watch what I do - and then do the opposite.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom